• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Unable to change Index.php

jimoo

I am using a webhosting company to run my app & they support osCommerce. It installed fine and I am up and running. However, when I attempt to change the default catalog page, I encounter an error:

Error: I can not write to this file. Please set the right user permissions on: /home/mysite/public_html/osCommerce/catalog/includes/languages/english/index.php

I suspect it is a rights issue with the database. The database has one administrator (me) and I can login okay. The username/pw for the database is different that the username/pw of the site I am hosting the page on, but that should not be an issue.

Any suggestions?

:'(

Check /home/mysite/public_html/osCommerce/catalog/includes/languages/english/index.php via FTP or your hosts Control Panel and make sure index.php permissions are set to 755, if not, change it and try it again.

Installed Contributions: CCGV, Close Popup, Dynamic Meta Tags, Easy Populate, Froogle Data Feeder, Google Position, Infobox Header Entire Row, Live Support for OSC, PayPal Seal with CC images, Report_m Sales, Shop by Price Revised, SQL Updater, Who's Online Enhancement, Footer, GNA EP Assistant and still going.

Check /home/mysite/public_html/osCommerce/catalog/includes/languages/english/index.php via FTP or your hosts Control Panel and make sure index.php permissions are set to 755, if not, change it and try it again.

I can access the page from "Tools/ file manager" and "Tools / Define Languages" but I don't see anywhere to update or change the permission.

Download a 3rd party FTP application, and use that. I recommend the free www.smartftp.com

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

Download a 3rd party FTP application, and use that. I recommend the free www.smartftp.com

I am not sure how that would help. It appears to be a rights issue with either the directory or the filename. I.E. it doesn't think I (admin) have rights.

I tried to change it from the SQL command line to 755 (earlier suggestion) but that didn't work - error in my sql.

SQL-query:

chmod 755 osCommerce/includes/configure.php/home/mysite/public_html/osCommerce/catalog/includes/languages/english/index.php

MySQL said:

#1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'chmod 755 /home/mysite/public_html/osCommerce/catalog/include

I contacted my ISP and they manually changed the rights, but I have since noticed that I am having the same problem with all the php files. Unless someone has another suggestion, I may have to work it out with my ISP since I do not see where to change the permissions. I tried the earlier suggestions, but I am not seeing anything about permissions.

Thanks for prior assistance - any other suggestions are appreciated.

File permissions are not held in your database. Do get an FTP client like Chris says. Its worth the time and effort. Don't use the file manager built into OSC. It's going to mess you up. It really should be dropped from the package until it's fixed. The FTP client (I like Filezilla) will help you many more times than just this once. Really, anyone working with OSC should have a database viewer/editor (like phpmyadmin) and a good ftp client to work their platform. Take a look at Crimson Editor. It is a file editor with a built in ftp client. Two birds/one stone. I downloaded it, but I'm already comfortable with Filezilla so I haven't used it yet. It looks like it makes the process easier.

Oh, and it sounds like you may have the database access set on your host's control panel.

Thanks Dan & Chris. I look into your suggestions. I am new (2 days now) into OC and so far I like it, but it does appear to have few gotyas that you need to know about.

Just to let you know. Although I have not used it much, I own Dreamweaver and started playing with it to see if it handles the FTP, modifying the PHP, etc. It appears it will work. I will be on vacation and will not have a chance to play with this more until the end of next week, but I'll provide you with an update if I get it working.

Feel free to provide any insight if you use DW for this.

Archived