• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Edit index.php has no effect

mbickham

Hi All,

First post here so hope I do this right!!

I have installed osCommerce and am very impressed. I have started to make some changes to the layout. However I get a problem with the index.php file.

I am trying to make some changes to the layout of the initial page, such as table borders and adding text/images to the Title. However once I have made these changes I upload the index.php file, refresh the page, but none of the changes have taken affect! For instance:

A default part of index.php looks like this:

<!-- body_text //-->

<td width="100%" valign="top"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">

<tr>

<td><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">

<tr>

<td class="pageHeading"><?php echo HEADING_TITLE; ?></td>

<td class="pageHeading" align="right"><?php echo tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . $category['categories_image'], $category['categories_name'], HEADING_IMAGE_WIDTH, HEADING_IMAGE_HEIGHT); ?></td>

I then change it to:

<!-- body_text //-->

<td width="100%" valign="top"><table border="5" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">

<tr>

<td><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">

<tr>

<td class="pageHeading">THIS IS A NEW HEADING!!!!</td>

However once the page is refereshed none of these changes take affect :( Does anyone have any ideas as to why this might be?

Best Regards,

Mike. B.

You also want to make sure you are looking at the part of index.php that you are changing. index.php is actually 3 pages rolled into one so you have to be sure you are looking at the part you are editing.

The very front page, is actually found near the bottom of the index.php not at the top.

Wendy James

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

You also want to make sure you are looking at the part of index.php that you are changing. index.php is actually 3 pages rolled into one so you have to be sure you are looking at the part you are editing.

The very front page, is actually found near the bottom of the index.php not at the top.

Wendy, thanks for this! I have now managed to change the correct part of the file. I shall now go and hide! lol.

Thanks for the reply, frustration cured, embarrasment starting :blush:

Archived