• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[CONTRIBUTION] Ultimate SEO URLs v2.1 - by Chemo

Hello Matthew,

First things I would check is that the htaccess file is in place and has the correct path in it - and also check that you have mod_rewrite enabled on your server.

Cheers,

Emmett

Your online success is Paramount.

I will try a restore and see what happens

yes, give that a go first and if it doesn't work then you can move on to a new avenue. Hopefully it will work

Upon receiving fixes and advice, too many people don't bother to post updates informing the forum of how it went. Until of course they need help again on other issues and they come running back!

Why receive the information you require in good faith for free, only to then have the attitude to ignore the people who gave it to you?

There's no harm in saying, 'Thanks, it worked'. On the contrary, it creates a better atmosphere.

CHOOCH

Hi,

I just installed the latest version (Nov 29 - 2.1d with optional Admin settable Product and Category URLs) somewhat successfully, however, I'm hung up on a couple problems...

Basically, while I can add items to the cart via "Add to Cart," the "Buy Now" feature doesn't work. Further, the url still has the session-id. Doh.

Chooch mentioned a few pages back that there's a patch for the session-id url issue, but I didn't know if this patch was included in the latest download. Any ideas?

Any help would be appreciated.

Here's the site: http://www.socalsurfandsport.com

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

JHouse

In the event yesudo needs my ftp info too, I'm PM'ing it to him now.

I'm definitely cool fixing this prob myself though, but again, I just need a little assistance.

Thanks.

JHouse

Hello Justin,

The patch Chooch mentions is a patch to osCommerce not the contribution.

I just tried adding some products, on your site, to the cart and worked okay for me.

Maybe you have sorted your issue in that regard.

Cheers,

Emmett

Your online success is Paramount.

I too am having the same issue since installing the latest release today. I am only testing at the moment, so this is a good time to iron out all of these annoying little errors. Unfortunately, I do not have much SQL experience and am in need of help! :'(

My path relates to the quote as above - http://www.website.com/test-c-35.html

I'm a noob at the osc thing after changing from joomla (also a great cms but support for carts is v. limited. Any help appreciated. Thanks! :)

I've managed to get this working!! - I had to ask my hosting company to set Apache to AllowOverride All (see the .htaccess file for more info - read the commented out bit about AllowOverride All)

It still didn't work but brought up another 404 error - can't find 'index.php' so I change the .htaccess file line shown below:

RewriteRule ^(.*)-c-(.*).html$ index.php?cPath=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

to this:

RewriteRule ^(.*)-c-(.*).html$ default.php?cPath=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

now it appears to work....I'll carry out more testing to see if I can break it before letting loose on my customers.

Kind regs, Simon. :)

Best regs,

Simon.

Ok, I'll answer my own question. I changed Force Cookie Use to True (previously was false). It started working. Can someone please confirm that it's correct that if one sets the Force Cookie Use to true, urls will not have osCsid, whereas if it's false, osCsid will appear?

Thank you very much

Sabrina

Hello Sabrina,

I had the same problem, and followed your advise.

Setting Force Cookie Use to true also worked for me.

Did you get an answer on your question whether it is correct to set in on true??

Please let me know

Rene

Hello all...I was fortunate enough to have a customized store so currently ultimate seo fails on the pages where I would pass in additional custom parameters. Anyone has any idea how easily or if there are existing patches out there that would allow ultimate seo to accept custom parameter (i.e. product_info.php?products_id=100&some_custom_parameter=xyz).

I have begin hacking the seo.class.php but just thought to ask before I reinvent the wheel.

Thanks ahead for all the assistance!

Tim

I think I found a quick fix...have anyone done this before. I just simply changed the code to pass in a "?" instead of an "&" for custom parameter so now my ultimate seo url look something like this:

"some-item-p-100.html?some_custom_parameter=xyz"

It seems to be working so far, and perhaps this could be a fix for those who run into the same issue as I.

Any comments are welcome.

Thanks!

Tim

Hello all...I was fortunate enough to have a customized store so currently ultimate seo fails on the pages where I would pass in additional custom parameters. Anyone has any idea how easily or if there are existing patches out there that would allow ultimate seo to accept custom parameter (i.e. product_info.php?products_id=100&some_custom_parameter=xyz).

I have begin hacking the seo.class.php but just thought to ask before I reinvent the wheel.

Thanks ahead for all the assistance!

Tim

Hello Justin,

The patch Chooch mentions is a patch to osCommerce not the contribution.

I just tried adding some products, on your site, to the cart and worked okay for me.

Maybe you have sorted your issue in that regard.

Cheers,

Emmett

Thanks for the quick help.

Yes, it just worked for me too, then it didn't. If you add a product by clicking on "Buy Now" it will add it to the cart, however, if you then try to add another product (from a different category) you get: "Your Shopping Cart is empty!" Any ideas?

Also, is there a way to safely remove the "?osCsid=" part from the url? By safely I mean will it have any negative consequences?

Thanks again.

JHouse

I'm also getting the following error when using the admin/categories.php page:

Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_STRING in /home/socalsur/public_html/admin/categories.php on line 1018

Here's the code I have for this general area, starting at line 1015:

Note: The only module I've installed thus far on this site was one of the Title/Metatags contributions. That said, I venture to bet that I created this error while integrating the seo url code with the Title/Meta code. If you see where I went wrong, please let me know. Thanks.

for ($i = 0, $n = sizeof($languages); $i < $n; $i++) {
	  $category_inputs_string .= '<br>' . tep_image(DIR_WS_CATALOG_LANGUAGES . $languages[$i]['directory'] . '/images/' . $languages[$i]['image'], $languages[$i]['name']) . ' ' . tep_draw_input_field('categories_name[' . $languages[$i]['id'] . ']');
	  // HTC BOC
	  $category_htc_title_string .= '<br>' . tep_image(DIR_WS_CATALOG_LANGUAGES . $languages[$i]['directory'] . '/images/' . $languages[$i]['image'], $languages[$i]['name']) . ' ' . tep_draw_input_field('categories_seo_url['tep_draw_input_field('categories_htc_title_tag[' . $languages[$i]['id'] . ']');
	  $category_htc_desc_string .= '<br>' . tep_image(DIR_WS_CATALOG_LANGUAGES . $languages[$i]['directory'] . '/images/' . $languages[$i]['image'], $languages[$i]['name']) . ' ' . tep_draw_input_field('categories_htc_desc_tag[' . $languages[$i]['id'] . ']');
	  $category_htc_keywords_string .= '<br>' . tep_image(DIR_WS_CATALOG_LANGUAGES . $languages[$i]['directory'] . '/images/' . $languages[$i]['image'], $languages[$i]['name']) . ' ' . tep_draw_input_field('categories_htc_keywords_tag[' . $languages[$i]['id'] . ']');
	  $category_htc_description_string .= '<br>' . tep_image(DIR_WS_CATALOG_LANGUAGES . $languages[$i]['directory'] . '/images/' . $languages[$i]['image'], $languages[$i]['name']) . ' ' . tep_draw_textarea_field('categories_htc_description[' . $languages[$i]['id'] . ']', 'hard', 30, 5, '');
	  // HTC EOC
	}

$category_seo_string .= '<br>' . tep_image(DIR_WS_CATALOG_LANGUAGES . $languages[$i]['directory'] . '/images/' . $languages[$i]['image'], $languages[$i]['name']) . ' ' . tep_draw_input_field('categories_seo_url[' . $languages[$i]['id'] . ']');
	}

$contents[] = array('text' => '<br>' . TEXT_CATEGORIES_NAME . $category_inputs_string);
	$contents[] = array('text' => '<br>' . TEXT_CATEGORIES_IMAGE . '<br>' . tep_draw_file_field('categories_image'));
	$contents[] = array('text' => '<br>' . TEXT_SORT_ORDER . '<br>' . tep_draw_input_field('sort_order', '', 'size="2"'));
	$contents[] = array('text' => '<br>' . TEXT_CATEGORIES_SEO_URL . $category_seo_string);
	// HTC BOC
	$contents[] = array('text' => '<br>' . 'Header Tags Category Title' . $category_htc_title_string);
	$contents[] = array('text' => '<br>' . 'Header Tags Category Description' . $category_htc_desc_string);
	$contents[] = array('text' => '<br>' . 'Header Tags Category Keywords' . $category_htc_keywords_string);
	$contents[] = array('text' => '<br>' . 'Header Tags Categories Description' . $category_htc_description_string);
	// HTC EOC
	$contents[] = array('align' => 'center', 'text' => '<br>' . tep_image_submit('button_save.gif', IMAGE_SAVE) . ' <a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_CATEGORIES, 'cPath=' . $cPath) . '">' . tep_image_button('button_cancel.gif', IMAGE_CANCEL) . '</a>');
	break;

JHouse

That is a general syntax error. I would compare that line with the original documentation to make sure that it is "verbatim." In addition, you should make sure that there it is one complete line and there isn't a line break (i.e. "\n" or carriage return) to break up that line. It happens to me a lot as I do Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V.

Good luck!

Tim

I'm also getting the following error when using the admin/categories.php page:

Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_STRING in /home/socalsur/public_html/admin/categories.php on line 1018

Here's the code I have for this general area, starting at line 1015:

Note: The only module I've installed thus far on this site was one of the Title/Metatags contributions. That said, I venture to bet that I created this error while integrating the seo url code with the Title/Meta code. If you see where I went wrong, please let me know. Thanks.

$category_inputs_string .= '<br>' . tep_image(DIR_WS_CATALOG_LANGUAGES . $languages[$i]['directory'] . '/images/' . $languages[$i]['image'], $languages[$i]['name']) . ' ' . tep_draw_input_field('categories_name[' . $languages[$i]['id'] . ']');
	  // HTC BOC
	  $category_htc_title_string .= '<br>' . tep_image(DIR_WS_CATALOG_LANGUAGES . $languages[$i]['directory'] . '/images/' . $languages[$i]['image'], $languages[$i]['name']) . ' ' . tep_draw_input_field('categories_seo_url['tep_draw_input_field('categories_htc_title_tag[' . $languages[$i]['id'] . ']');
	  $category_htc_desc_string .= '<br>' . tep_image(DIR_WS_CATALOG_LANGUAGES . $languages[$i]['directory'] . '/images/' . $languages[$i]['image'], $languages[$i]['name']) . ' ' . tep_draw_input_field('categories_htc_desc_tag[' . $languages[$i]['id'] . ']');
	  $category_htc_keywords_string .= '<br>' . tep_image(DIR_WS_CATALOG_LANGUAGES . $languages[$i]['directory'] . '/images/' . $languages[$i]['image'], $languages[$i]['name']) . ' ' . tep_draw_input_field('categories_htc_keywords_tag[' . $languages[$i]['id'] . ']');
	  $category_htc_description_string .= '<br>' . tep_image(DIR_WS_CATALOG_LANGUAGES . $languages[$i]['directory'] . '/images/' . $languages[$i]['image'], $languages[$i]['name']) . ' ' . tep_draw_textarea_field('categories_htc_description[' . $languages[$i]['id'] . ']', 'hard', 30, 5, '');
	  // HTC EOC
	}

$category_seo_string .= '<br>' . tep_image(DIR_WS_CATALOG_LANGUAGES . $languages[$i]['directory'] . '/images/' . $languages[$i]['image'], $languages[$i]['name']) . ' ' . tep_draw_input_field('categories_seo_url[' . $languages[$i]['id'] . ']');
	}

$contents[] = array('text' => '<br>' . TEXT_CATEGORIES_NAME . $category_inputs_string);
	$contents[] = array('text' => '<br>' . TEXT_CATEGORIES_IMAGE . '<br>' . tep_draw_file_field('categories_image'));
	$contents[] = array('text' => '<br>' . TEXT_SORT_ORDER . '<br>' . tep_draw_input_field('sort_order', '', 'size="2"'));
	$contents[] = array('text' => '<br>' . TEXT_CATEGORIES_SEO_URL . $category_seo_string);
	// HTC BOC
	$contents[] = array('text' => '<br>' . 'Header Tags Category Title' . $category_htc_title_string);
	$contents[] = array('text' => '<br>' . 'Header Tags Category Description' . $category_htc_desc_string);
	$contents[] = array('text' => '<br>' . 'Header Tags Category Keywords' . $category_htc_keywords_string);
	$contents[] = array('text' => '<br>' . 'Header Tags Categories Description' . $category_htc_description_string);
	// HTC EOC
	$contents[] = array('align' => 'center', 'text' => '<br>' . tep_image_submit('button_save.gif', IMAGE_SAVE) . ' <a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_CATEGORIES, 'cPath=' . $cPath) . '">' . tep_image_button('button_cancel.gif', IMAGE_CANCEL) . '</a>');
	break;

That is a general syntax error. I would compare that line with the original documentation to make sure that it is "verbatim." In addition, you should make sure that there it is one complete line and there isn't a line break (i.e. "\n" or carriage return) to break up that line. It happens to me a lot as I do Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V.

Good luck!

Tim

Thanks Tim.

While I haven't compared it with the original admin>categories.php file, I have with the slightly revised one (Title/Metatags contribution addition) multiple times. I've compared and made revisions, but still can't figure out where I'm going wrong. I thought the syntax was okay, but it's obviously not. Ha.

Regarding the line break comment, that's just the way it's showing in the code above...it's not really breaking and thus the line is complete...I think.

Anyways, if you or anybody else has any feedback, I'm all ears.

Thanks again.

JHouse

Okay, I got the admin/categories.php page working fine now.

I'm still having issues with the shopping cart portion though, more specifically, the "Buy Now" feature. After I add the first item it works, but if I add another product by clicking "Buy Now," it empties the cart. I'm pretty positive this was working fine before I added this contribution.

Speaking of this contrib, many thanks to all that created and supported it. Mucho thanks. This module is great. I know my client is gonna be stoked after he gets that much more traffic. Thanks again guys.

Peace.

JHouse

Hello Sabrina,

I had the same problem, and followed your advise.

Setting Force Cookie Use to true also worked for me.

Did you get an answer on your question whether it is correct to set in on true??

Please let me know

Rene

Hi Rene,

No one has confirmed this. I assume this is correct, at least it looks and behaves correctly to me. I still would like it to be confirmed by experts though.

Sabrina

I've modified a site extensivly but now the sub categories don't display on the main sub category page. I believe this is because of the Ultimate SEO url not reading 'nested' sub categories, can anyone help with a solution? I've searched around, but came up with nothing.

You can see the category on the left displays there is sub categories, but they just don't show.

http://dev.classicsoundandvision.com/opera-c-21.html

Any help would be appreciated.

I receive this error when going to edit a category:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: tep_get_category_seo_url() in c:\hosting\webhost4life\member\fluentslang\catalog\admin\categories.php on line 939

Any ideas? Also, when does the database get populated with values for the two fields we added. I don't have any values and the rewrite URLs are not working.

I think this is being used on a Win IIS server...will this matter?

I receive this error when going to edit a category:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: tep_get_category_seo_url() in c:\hosting\webhost4life\member\fluentslang\catalog\admin\categories.php on line 939

Any ideas? Also, when does the database get populated with values for the two fields we added. I don't have any values and the rewrite URLs are not working.

I think this is being used on a Win IIS server...will this matter?

If you are using this on a Win IIS server, then forget the whole contrib, or move to a *nix server.

Regards,

Chris

Is anybody else having problems with their carts emptying, namely when you add products by clicking "Buy Now" for 2 or more products? Everything works fine when I just click "add to cart," but not after I click "Buy Now" - it empties the cart contents. I'm using the latest Ultimate SEO install.

I really need to diagnose this quick as I've made this feature live (on my client's site) and this is one of their biggest times of year. If anybody has any ideas what could be causing this, please let me know.

Here's the site: http://www.socalsurfandsport.com

Thanks.

Edited by JHouse

JHouse

Hello Justin,

Try the modifications submitted by bchecketts and edgecrush3r on the contribution page:

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,2823

to see if they help with your issue.

Cheers,

Emmett

Thanks Emmett, I'm going to give that a shot right now. I'll provide feedback either way.

Thanks again.

JHouse

I just backed up my whole site on my desktop and FTP'd it to another domain name..

Something very interesting happened - the SEO URL link in configuration didn't show up?? I added the SQL in Emmett's version and re-checked all files were in the right place but nothing showed up in configuration.

However, when I added the SQL from the backed up site, it did..... why this happened is really 'doin my ed in'. Does anyone have ideas how or why this happened? My test site is working fine now but curiousity has taken it's toll :blush:

Edited by chooch

Upon receiving fixes and advice, too many people don't bother to post updates informing the forum of how it went. Until of course they need help again on other issues and they come running back!

Why receive the information you require in good faith for free, only to then have the attitude to ignore the people who gave it to you?

There's no harm in saying, 'Thanks, it worked'. On the contrary, it creates a better atmosphere.

CHOOCH

Hi,

I recently applied the contribution Ultimate URLS. I then submitted my sitemap to google and all my sub pages that ranked around 20 to 30 either disappeared from google or ranked around the 90s. It's been just over two months since then and no change. Any ideas why this happened? Is it worth turning this feature off? Thought this would benefit my ranking as name appear on the page and url. Does google detect these as duplicates?

Any experience shared would help.

Thanks,

James

Hi all, hope you can help,

After installing Ultimate SEO URLs 2.1c i cannot use the manufacturer dropdown, it just doesn't do anything now. So i upgraded to version 2.1da and still nothing. Do you guys have any ideas why this would happen.

Many thanks

Rob