• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[CONTRIBUTION] Ultimate SEO URLs v2.1 - by Chemo

I have had major problems with this contribution. What changes to the database are made? The only things I could find were the options in the configuration group for the admin menu side. Those have been deleted and my backup .php files were restored. Is there anything else in the actual database I need to wipe because I cannot restore my previous backup. It keeps timing out.

I sent you a note on this. 

David

Hi David,.

Problem solved.

Thanks for your help. You were correct about the settings in the configure file with the name of the site. But something else must have been wrong as well.

So I got the author of the contribution, Bobby, on the phone and WOW was he good!

Nice, pleasant to talk to, confident and really knows his stuff. He said he would take a look at it and in a few moments, files began to change everywhere.... He really created a GREAT contribution and it will mean a great deal to the SEO of my store in the future.

It is now humming and singing and most of all SELLING! :rolleyes:

I'm having a great Day - hope you are too!

Leon

Ok, I uploaded everything & I also tried to create an .htaccess file and uploaded it. I got a "500" error & I thought it was due to the server problems that I've already been having on my site!

So, when I removed the .htaccess file, I then tried my site again. I can access the site; however, the products aren't found! I saw a post earlier, but I guess I didn't see the answer, so I do appologize if it's already been answered!

This is a great contribution and I can't wait to make it all work!

Thx!

Hi David,.

Problem solved.

Thanks for your help. You were correct about the settings in the configure file with the name of the site. But something else must have been wrong as well.

So I got the author of the contribution, Bobby, on the phone and WOW was he good!

Nice, pleasant to talk to, confident and really knows his stuff. He said he would take a look at it and in a few moments, files began to change everywhere.... He really created a GREAT contribution and it will mean a great deal to the SEO of my store in the future.

It is now humming and singing and most of all SELLING!  :rolleyes:

Glad to hear it! Bobby is excellent and the contribution is very helpful for search engine listings. Good luck!

David

As well, I have disable the SEO URL and I'm now getting timed out errors saying that the url redirect is too long! Could this be because of the fact that I don't have the .htaccess file working properly?

As well, I have disable the SEO URL and I'm now getting timed out errors saying that the url redirect is too long! Could this be because of the fact that I don't have the .htaccess file working properly?

I'm pretty sure that contribution won't work without the proper settings in .htaccess. What kind of problem are you having with that file?

David

Hey David,

If you take a look at post 127 - which is me, you'll see the problem that i'm having!

Thx!

It is saying that products are not found? This is probably because of a bug with redirects on certain servers. Either disable redirecting, or look on this forum I think I posted a fix to get redirect working. If you still need help IM me and I'll try to walk you through it :)

If it is giving 404 errors, that means your .htaccess file is messed up. I don't know about 500 error, havn't heard that one. Check the permissions for .htaccess, if you can't get it to work post what you have in your .htaccess as well as whether you have it installed under the root of the domain (e.g. www.webshop.com) or under a directory (e.g. www.webshop.com/catalog) as this makes a difference in what you need in your .htaccess file.

It is saying that products are not found?  This is probably because of a bug with redirects on certain servers.  Either disable redirecting, or look on this forum I think I posted a fix to get redirect working.  If you still need help IM me and I'll try to walk you through it  :)

If it is giving 404 errors, that means your .htaccess file is messed up.  I don't know about 500 error, havn't heard that one.  Check the permissions for .htaccess, if you can't get it to work post what you have in your .htaccess as well as whether you have it installed under the root of the domain (e.g. www.webshop.com) or under a directory (e.g. www.webshop.com/catalog) as this makes a difference in what you need in your .htaccess file.

Ok, well, I have the products working again! Thx for that!

Now, the .htaccess file, is something I have no idea how to make work. I have emailed my hosting company to see if something can be done, so I'm waiting for them to get back to me. I know that they don't usually support contributions, but I'm hoping that they might have some information!

I placed my .htaccess file in a directory, but I'm not 100% sure how to even make that work properly. As you can see, my host has me in a sort of sub-domain - http://5alarmgifts.netfirms.com/store/nfos...talog/index.php - so I put it /store/nfoscomm/catalog/. Didn't seem to work!

If anyone has any other suggestions, pls let me know!

I installed the "Ultimate SEO URL's" contribution. Does anyone know how to change rewrite rules or anything else so that it incorporates all the pages on the site. Right now its only incorporating my product_info.php page.

II. Interference with an .htaccess file

If you have implemented .htaccess on your site, it may be interfering with the web page you are trying to load into your browser. Please either remove the .htaccess file or double check the .htaccess configurations to ensure that it doesn't contain any errors. Currently Netfirms only supports .htaccess for password protection of folders and Custom Error pages.

Ok, I found the above on my host's site... I'm guess that this means that I can't use this contribution - anyone else agree?

Ok, I found the above on my host's site... I'm guess that this means that I can't use this contribution - anyone else agree?

I personally would not recommend Netfirms for hosting an osCommerce site (any important site really). There are far too many hosts that offer full features and still don't cost much. Netfirms isn't one of them IMHO.

Do you plan on using a subdomain for your production site, or is that just for testing?

David

Edited by DavidR

Hey guys. I've installed today Ultimate SEO and I have to say this contrib rocks :)

The thing is that my shop is in Greek so the categories and products name are in Greek to. SEO works fine but the names are messed up at the url, it's like:

http://www.mywebshop.gr/%CE%93%EF%BF%BD%CE...C2%AD-p-58.html

This url works but I would like to have the Greek name of that product.

Does this have to do with apache's conf file not being at ISO-8859-7 which is the default for Greece? Is there a way to change this setting through an .htaccess file?

There's a diference between living & BEING ALIVE!

I personally would not recommend Netfirms for hosting an osCommerce site (any important site really).  There are far too many hosts that offer full features and still don't cost much.  Netfirms isn't one of them IMHO.

Do you plan on using a subdomain for your production site, or is that just for testing?

David

I've actually been using netfirms for the last year as my full production site! I never realised that they had so many limitations! You seem to have a suggestion or work around? I'm stuck with them until June of next year, but I'm always open to suggestions as well!

i have a quick question regarding how the spider crawls the urls after they output to html... if you go to www.gritechnologies.com/tools/spider.go you'll find a tool where you can see how google is spidering your pages and links. if you notice, if you type in your url with ultimate seo urls installed, it will view all the links on your page properly with the .html extension, but with a ?osCsid=40c7043c2b3acc56125062cb66caebff at the end of every html page. from what i hear, a ? is bad and spiders don't crawl url's with a ?. if you have a workaround, that would be great. or, if it doesn't matter, then that would be cool to know too. not sure if it's something i can just turn off in the admin? thanks.

I've actually been using netfirms for the last year as my full production site! I never realised that they had so many limitations! You seem to have a suggestion or work around? I'm stuck with them until June of next year, but I'm always open to suggestions as well!

Wow, that's rough. I don't have a workaround myself, at least not for this contribution. If they don't allow you to use any options in .htaccess (or virtually none) you won't be able to use the rewrite method that this newer version is based on. I suppose you could go back to an earlier version and use the cName & pName method.

Considering the added sales you might enjoy with this kind of SEO contribution, you may want to consider eating whatever your prepay is on the netfirm account and move sooner :(

Perhaps someone else can come up with a better solution. Sorry I don't have more to offer but good luck.

David

Thanks David,

I have contacted Netfirms Support & they have stated that they are looking at adding .htaccess modifications in the near future. I have a feeling that the near future is probably within the next couple of years! I think I will stay on top of them with this one & ask that they release it sooner then later!

Thanks for the good wishes!

I have these contibutions installed on my site - Master products 1.1.5 by Johnson, Header Tags & CCGV. Recently I installed SEO URLS. Everything works fine EXCEPT the REDEEM button when I click I just get logged out and I see the logon box page of my site.

Also if I disable SEO URLs site fails to display category & product pages - giving error - page not found. What i mean is the disable is not working for SEO URLs.

But if I uninstall  SEO URLs there is no problem with CCGV at all.

Please help

Thanks

Disable "Output W3C valid URLs (parameter string)?" works for me.

Basically, everything is fine except this "REDEEM" button. I don't know what this "Output W3C valid URLs (parameter string)?" does, but seems it addes the "&" ruins the url.

Anyway, I spent some time to figure out the problem, and when I set the "Output W3C valid URLs (parameter string)?" to false, the urls are roll back like before, and the CCGV works fine now.

I believe this mod works 100% fine now except this little problem.

I have this installed on several stores and it works Great and has increased my search rank in several Engines

Thanks Chemo :thumbsup:

Just a couple of problems that I have noticed others mentioning also

#1When a customer clicks continue on the Checkout success page It sends them to the login page instead of the index page. Confusing but I have atleast made the sale :-"

#2 If a customer has a problem with a CC# in checkout payment. and the Bank kicks it back it sends them to the Login page instead of back to the Checkout payment page to show the payment error. They then do not know what the problem is and drop the sale :( "Not Good"

I have turned of redirect to no avail

I have other stores with out this contribution and they work correctly. I do want to install it on those stores if I can get the 2 bugs worked out

Again Great Contribution I just need to correct the above problems as it can be confusing as stated in #1 and I am losing some sales as stated in #2

TIA

Terry

Edited by TerribleTerry

Hi Chemo!

:thumbsup: Great Contrib!

I had installed version 1.4, it worked pretty well for me. Now I tried to update to 2.1c, but i ran into minor trouble.

For example: The code i have to replace, i could not find, because the upgrading instruction "UPGRADE v1.x-v2.0b series- osCommerce MS-2.2" was not quite right for version 1.4.

At least I uninstalled version 1.4, cleared the changed files to the original os-version and installed version 2.1.

All in all it was a very easy installation, but there are still some question / remarks:

1. i have a database with a prefix (e.g. ticolino_configuration etc.) due to ore than one shop in that database. This means to me, to modify the generals.php as follows: tep_db_query("UPDATE ticolino_configuration SET configuration_value...

Are there more files to modify for multi-shop-usage in one database?

2. As mentioned before, it would be more customer-friendly, if the return page after registration would be the index.php instead of login.php

3. Well, problably you have already mentioned because of my writings that i am german. Nevertheless, your real nice feature "special character conversion" does not work for me. Maybe it is because i did not reinstall the version 1.4 proper. Though the uninstaller told me, everything is uninstalled proper.

4. Last but not least: The reason i changed from 1.4 to 2.1 was, i did not like the session-id behind the seo-url. But even after the update, it shows the same result. There has been a topic to this in this section, but i cannot get rid of the session-id. Maybe it is because i use several other contribs like header-tags controller, maybe it is because of a cache (though i don't have any installed). Maybe it is because of the table "cache", which is new since version 2.1.

Thanks for your help!

:thumbsup: this Contrib is hot and almost perfect!

Hi Chemo!

:thumbsup: Great Contrib!

I had installed version 1.4, it worked pretty well for me. Now I tried to update to 2.1c, but i ran into minor trouble.

For example: The code i have to replace, i could not find, because the upgrading instruction "UPGRADE v1.x-v2.0b series- osCommerce MS-2.2" was not quite right for version 1.4.

At least I uninstalled version 1.4, cleared the changed files to the original os-version and installed version 2.1.

All in all it was a very easy installation, but there are still some question / remarks:

1. i have a database with a prefix (e.g. ticolino_configuration etc.) due to ore than one shop in that database. This means to me, to modify the generals.php as follows: tep_db_query("UPDATE ticolino_configuration SET configuration_value...

Are there more files to modify for multi-shop-usage in one database?

2. As mentioned before, it would be more customer-friendly, if the return page after registration would be the index.php instead of login.php

3. Well, problably you have already mentioned because of my writings that i am german. Nevertheless, your real nice feature "special character conversion" does not work for me. Maybe it is because i did not reinstall the version 1.4 proper. Though the uninstaller told me, everything is uninstalled proper.

=================

My fault! I just need to do exactly what the documentation says:

?=>ae,?=>oe,

No spaces, nothing else, just like above and the special characters work!

=================

4. Last but not least: The reason i changed from 1.4 to 2.1 was, i did not like the session-id behind the seo-url. But even after the update, it shows the same result. There has been a topic to this in this section, but i cannot get rid of the session-id. Maybe it is because i use several other contribs like header-tags controller, maybe it is because of a cache (though i don't have any installed). Maybe it is because of the table "cache", which is new since version 2.1.

Thanks for your help!

:thumbsup: this Contrib is hot and almost perfect!