• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[CONTRIBUTION] Ultimate SEO URLs v2.1 - by Chemo

Hello!

Thanks for the plugin, it works perfect, but I have a small question:

In my posts titles I use a lot of greek characters, but in the SEO url those characters don't appear.

For example:

Product Title: Yamaha Motif S90 φωτογραφικη μηχανη HD

Generated URL: mysite.com/yamaha-motif-s90-HD-p-13521.html

Is there any solution to change the generated url, so it can also use the non english characters, so it can be something like this?

mysite.com/yamaha-motif-s90-φωτογραφικη-μηχανη-HD-p-13521.html

I tried these steps, but for the updated version instead of mysql_set_charset('utf8',$this->link_id); I added mysqli_set_charset($this->link_id,'utf8');

Did I did something wrong or am I missing something?

It doesn't seem to work.

That's a different addon completely and has nothing to do with this one. As for the change for this one, I gave the wrong one. If you are using this one, find this code

if (CHARSET == 'utf-8') {
                   $string =  iconv("ISO-8859-1", "UTF-8//TRANSLIT", $string);
                }

and delete it. Then find this code

function ConnectDB(){
                $this->link_id = mysql_connect($this->host, $this->user, $this->pass);

and add this line after it

mysql_set_charset('utf8',$this->link_id);

It's a setting for this addon in your admin. You can find the settings explained in the install file and there are examples in this thread.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

You're welcome. :)

@@Jack_mcs

Well, in the settings I entered α=>a,β=>v,γ=>g,δ=>d,ε=>e,ζ=>z,η=>i,θ=>th... etc... so that it can convert the greek characters to latin in the url.

Is there any way to keep the greek characters in the url as they are? For example mysite.com/αβγδ instead of mysite.com/abcd

Also it is generating an infinitive loop in the subcategories, so that they cannot load!

Edited by meet-sos

There are code changes that can be made to keep the characters as they are but it is not recommended since it is not part of the official rules. For the looping, turn off all of the settings for this addon except for the top one and see if then works correctly on the shop. If it does, you can enable a few at a time to narrow down the one that is failing and leave that one off.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

There are code changes that can be made to keep the characters as they are but it is not recommended since it is not part of the official rules. For the looping, turn off all of the settings for this addon except for the top one and see if then works correctly on the shop. If it does, you can enable a few at a time to narrow down the one that is failing and leave that one off.

I disabled 5-10 and subcategories seem to working good! Thanks!

I know that specials characters in the url are not recommended, but I would really appreciate if you helped me on this one!

@Jack_mcs,

Hi Jack, when we create a new product it is displayed on homepage but when clicked on it it does not open and take me back to homepage. Same if we search for the product and click on it is is redirected to home page. For old products on home page and search this works fine. When SEO Url's disabled the product work normally but then all products SEO Url optimization is switched off. Any ideas ? We only created a product now after a month, I did clear SEO Cache as well on admin side.

@@thiartj I don't know what is causing that but you shouldn't have to do anything, like clear cache, when a new product is added. If you scroll over the product, the browser should show the rewritten url. If it isn't doing that, then something must be wrong with the name of the product, though I can't imagine what it is. If the new products are showing previous products and they do not work either, then your new products module may have a problem. 

You can try removing the addon via the setting in admin. If you are using the character converter, be sure to copy it since that will be cleared. The addon will reinstall itself when you click on the shop side. This should not be necessary but it may help isolate the problem. You can also try turning off all of the settings as mentioned previously. 

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

@@Jack_mcs

Hier Jack, I tried uninstalling and receive the error below

Warning: array_merge(): Argument #2 is not an array in "path removed" /configuration.php on line 79

Warning: reset() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given in "path removed" /object_info.php on line 17

Warning: Variable passed to each() is not an array or object in "path removed" /object_info.php on line 18

@@Jack_MCS,

When I duplicate a previous product working it also works. Path is generated fine on new and old duplicate products, except the new product does not work when clicked on it and it redirects back to the main page. When editing a cloned product and saving it / all details changed then it does not work again. Disabling SEO URL's is working. This is very odd since I used this add-on fir a long time and we created products after the Mobile OSC Changes and after a few weeks now we cannot get new products to work.

@@thiartj You are using -c- in the product name but -c- is reserved for categories so the code thinks it is a link to a category. Controlling that character is a planned change for the next version but that might be quite a while. in the meantime, you would either need to remove the -c-, change the name to type_c, or edit the code so some other character is used.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

@@Jack_mcs Hi Jack, I was incorrect that products was created after SEO Url changes done for Mobile website since I see last working product was create 11 May 2015 and Mobile OSC was installed with SQO URL's update 13 May 2015 so yes no new products created after Mobile OSC Install and SQO URL's changes to support Mobile OSc

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I've installed this addon. And it's work exactly as expected apart from the following scenario i've found.

On a category page, the pagniation links and those to change the product order, the links being output are in the format:-

http://www.domainname.com/subfolder//subfolder/index.php?cPath=21&sort=2a&page=1

Any advice? No other indications of the install going wrong.

Thanks.

Those are correct and will occur even if this addon isn't installed. You need to be sure you have a canonical meta tag addon installed. If you use Header Tags SEO it is included. There is at least one other addon just for that purpose though one of them creates incorrect url's so be careful.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Sorry I might have confused you with the url, when I click on the pagination link it then throws and error because the url has duplicated catalog sub folder in the url. Also with this addon installed on other sites these links are in the nicer 'seo friendly' style which made me believe something was wrong with this install.