• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[CONTRIBUTION] Ultimate SEO URLs v2.1 - by Chemo

The code doesn't remove it. That is the basic operation of oscommerce, as I recall.

Why does oscommerce not remove it when I change it here?

$anchor = preg_replace($pattern, '-', $anchor); ---> $anchor = preg_replace($pattern, '/', $anchor);

Actually slash in the product name is not an issue (it is better if it is replaced by hyphen, of course). I am trying to replace only one hyphen by slash: between parent category and subcategory, and between the parent category and the product name. Is that possible?

Edited by Beginner_OS

Oh, that's different. It is probably possible. In fact, I think someone posted code here at some point on how to do it. I've no idea where in this thread that would be though.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

I found that code, but it does not work, as it modified a very old version and a lot of things have been changed since then.

I am not sure whether it is really needed, but according to google recommendations, URL should follow the rule shop/parentcategory/subcategory/product.html.

Your script is excellent, but all products are kind of in the same folder for google ...

Basically, only one replacement:

parentcategory- to parentcategory/

would do the job and I tried this, but slash is erased by something. Even the straightforward change of the parentcategory name to the one ending with '/' does not help as slashes are removed afterwards. Some (useless, in the product name) are not and this is puzzlng.

Edited by Beginner_OS

The accepted SEO practice is to use hyphens over slashes. When you have something like .../category1/category2/my_product, the categories are treated as levels by the search engines. In years past, it was considered harmful if there were more than three levels. But if you have .../category1-category2-my_product, it is considered one level and the keywords used in category1 and category2 apply directly to the product page. Also, in the SEO 5 addon, which is another url rewriter, one of the url options is to create a url like .../product/product_name, where the first word is actually product. The result is that the sites using that format rank for the keyword product, which is a total waste. So I don't recommend making this change. If you are determined to do it though, it can be done so good luck.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

hi together! i just installed the contrib and if i check the shop, www.sauces.ch, (2.3.3.4 Shop) it Looks fine. But,if i want to open the admin, i get the following error. how can i solve this? thanks for any help!

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare tep_reset_cache_data_seo_urls() (previously declared in /home/httpd/vhosts/sauces.ch/httpdocs/admin/includes/functions/general.php:1477) in /home/httpd/vhosts/sauces.ch/httpdocs/admin/includes/functions/general.php on line 1659

cheers

patrik

The accepted SEO practice is to use hyphens over slashes. When you have something like .../category1/category2/my_product, the categories are treated as levels by the search engines. In years past, it was considered harmful if there were more than three levels. But if you have .../category1-category2-my_product, it is considered one level and the keywords used in category1 and category2 apply directly to the product page. Also, in the SEO 5 addon, which is another url rewriter, one of the url options is to create a url like .../product/product_name, where the first word is actually product. The result is that the sites using that format rank for the keyword product, which is a total waste. So I don't recommend making this change. If you are determined to do it though, it can be done so good luck.

Thanks a lot! This sounds convincing. I thought it will be helpful for the sitemap. Isn't it better if everything is well structured and URLs correspond to that structure.

Another question. What about the multilanguage issue? Is it still currently preferrable to have shop/en/category... ?

@@Beginner_OS You should be using this sitemap addon. The urls will be formatted correctly. For the languages, no, it is not necessary to do that as long as your shop has code for the canonical meta tag. This is present if you have Header Tags SEO installed, a later version of 2.3 or the addon for that purpose.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Thank you! I installed both addons you mentioned.

I thought canonical meta tags are needed when one of the pages with similar content should be emphasized. In this case the information is different since it is given in different languages. Or search engines do not consider this as a big difference?

That tag is necessary when there might be a situation of duplicate content to prevent that from happening, not to emphasize one over the other.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hello Jack!

Above all, all praise for your work! :)

I still have a problem with converting, any idea why?

( Clean OS 2.3.34 - 3 languages,- Header Tags SEO v3.3,1 and Ultimate SEO URLs v2.2_13)

(conv ć=>c,č=>c,š=>s,đ=>dj,ž=>z,ü=>ue,ö=>oe,ä=>a,ß=>s)

Thanks in advance!

Bojan Luka

Edited by Lukalu

Thank you. :) I tested it here and it is working correctly. You may want to try clearing the cache using this addons option. Also, look in the tools section for changing database tables and run it on the cache table.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi!

First of all: nice plugin! Have been using it for a couple of years now!

A client noticed that if a product is in multiple categories, the link created does not always show the right category.

For example:

A product is in the category 'girls' and the category 'boys'. When you look at the 'girls' category page (in the catalog), the right URL's show up. If you look at the 'boys' category page, for some products the URL to the 'girls' page shows up (those are the products being in 2 categories). I can imagine how this error occurs, probably has something to do with the 'girls' category being the first in the database result or something. My question though is if there is some fix available to prevent this from happening. It causes some confusion at customers, so it would be nice to have it fixed.

Any ideas on this?

Thanks!

Eric

If you are saying you have two products and the links are not working correctly, then there is something wrong with your shops code. If you are saying you have one product that is linked to two categories, then that is a common problem with how oscommerce is coded. The path to the product will depend upon how it was reached. There is a fix for that. I've not tried it but others say it works. See here.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

How can I deal with special latin chars like ó é á

I tryed to use "Enter special character conversions" like "ó=>o" but it causes a redirect error when I try to load the page.

Edited by lov

It may be one of the other settings. Try turning them all off and see what happens. Also be sure you are entering the characters in the format as shown for that option.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

It may be one of the other settings.

What other settings are you talking about?

Try turning them all off and see what happens.

What do you mean by turning them all off? How to do it? I tryed one url containing a ó, after setting "ó=>o", and it simply not worked, just showed a redirect error. I also tryed "é=>e", the same.

Also be sure you are entering the characters in the format as shown for that option.

yes, I tryed all these:

ó=>o

é=>e

ó=>o,é=>e

2.3.3.4 Shop on PHP 5.4.21

Works perfectly on my test store using Uniserver

Store is now live on host and works correctly with SEO turned off until I include the code into htaccess when it throws a 500 error on both store and admin.

Originally I had a whole list of additions in htaccess inherited from my RC2.2a store and I thought one of them is the culprit but no. I removed them all and just tried the seo code with RewriteBase set thus RewriteBase / but still the same

store is www.mhvideos.co.uk

# $Id$
#
# This is used with Apache WebServers
#
# For this to work, you must include the parameter 'Options' to
# the AllowOverride configuration
#
# Example:
#
# <Directory "/usr/local/apache/htdocs">
# AllowOverride Options
# </Directory>
#
# 'All' with also work. (This configuration is in the
# apache/conf/httpd.conf file)

# The following makes adjustments to the SSL protocol for Internet
# Explorer browsers

#<IfModule mod_setenvif.c>
# <IfDefine SSL>
# SetEnvIf User-Agent ".*MSIE.*" \
#			 nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown \
#			 downgrade-1.0 force-response-1.0
# </IfDefine>
#</IfModule>

# If Search Engine Friendly URLs do not work, try enabling the
# following Apache configuration parameter

# AcceptPathInfo On

# Fix certain PHP values
# (commented out by default to prevent errors occuring on certain
# servers)

# php_value session.use_trans_sid 0
# php_value register_globals 1

# Begin Ultimate SEO V2.2d
Options +FollowSymLinks
RewriteEngine On

# RewriteBase instructions
# Change RewriteBase dependent on how your shop is accessed as below.
# http://www.mysite.com = RewriteBase /
# http://www.mysite.com/catalog/ = RewriteBase /catalog/
# http://www.mysite.com/catalog/shop/ = RewriteBase /catalog/shop/

# Change the following line using the instructions above

RewriteBase /

RewriteRule ^(.*)-p-(.*).html$ product_info.php?products_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}
RewriteRule ^(.*)-c-(.*).html$ index.php?cPath=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}
RewriteRule ^(.*)-m-(.*).html$ index.php?manufacturers_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}
RewriteRule ^(.*)-pi-(.*).html$ popup_image.php?pID=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}
RewriteRule ^(.*)-by-(.*).html$ all-products.php?fl=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}
RewriteRule ^(.*)-t-(.*).html$ articles.php?tPath=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}
RewriteRule ^(.*)-a-(.*).html$ article_info.php?articles_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}
RewriteRule ^(.*)-au-(.*).html$ articles.php?authors_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}
RewriteRule ^(.*)-pr-(.*).html$ product_reviews.php?products_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}
RewriteRule ^(.*)-pri-(.*).html$ product_reviews_info.php?products_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}
RewriteRule ^(.*)-f-(.*).html$ faqdesk_info.php?faqdesk_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}
RewriteRule ^(.*)-fc-(.*).html$ faqdesk_index.php?faqPath=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}
RewriteRule ^(.*)-fri-(.*).html$ faqdesk_reviews_info.php?faqdesk_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}
RewriteRule ^(.*)-fra-(.*).html$ faqdesk_reviews_article.php?faqdesk_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}
RewriteRule ^(.*)-i-(.*).html$ information.php?info_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}
RewriteRule ^(.*)-links-(.*).html$ links.php?lPath=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}
RewriteRule ^(.*)-pm-([0-9]+).html$ info_pages.php?pages_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}
RewriteRule ^(.*)-n-(.*).html$ newsdesk_info.php?newsdesk_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}
RewriteRule ^(.*)-nc-(.*).html$ newsdesk_index.php?newsPath=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}
RewriteRule ^(.*)-nri-(.*).html$ newsdesk_reviews_info.php?newsdesk_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}
RewriteRule ^(.*)-nra-(.*).html$ newsdesk_reviews_article.php?newsdesk_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}
RewriteRule ^(.*)-po-([0-9]+).html$ pollbooth.php?pollid=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}
# End Ultimate SEO V2.2d

The original htaccess with all the additions is in force at this time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Martin

Live shop Phoenix 1.0.8.4 on PHP 7.4 Working my way up the versions.

First, verify with your host that mod rewrite is enabled. Then try removing the "Options +FollowSymLinks". If it still fails, try using this instead: Options +SymLinksIfOwnerMatch

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons