• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[CONTRIBUTION] Ultimate SEO URLs v2.1 - by Chemo

Hey,

I tryed to install this contribution. And at point 7, I have a problem.

The 404 most common porblem.

I think I have everything wright in the .htaccess file and I also checked mij configure file.

The website is www.sanicare.nl.

I coppied the file ht access

# $Id: .htaccess 1739 2007-12-20 00:52:16Z hpdl $

#

# This is used with Apache WebServers

# The following blocks direct HTTP requests in this directory recursively

#

# For this to work, you must include the parameter 'Limit' to the AllowOverride configuration

#

# Example:

#

#<Directory "/usr/local/apache/htdocs">

# AllowOverride Limit

#

# 'All' with also work. (This configuration is in your apache/conf/httpd.conf file)

#

# This does not affect PHP include/require functions

#

# Example: http://server/catalog/includes/application_top.php will not work

<Files *.php>

Order Deny,Allow

Deny from all

</Files>

# Begin Ultimate SEO V2.2d

Options +FollowSymLinks

RewriteEngine On

# RewriteBase instructions

# Change RewriteBase dependent on how your shop is accessed as below.

# http://www.mysite.com = RewriteBase /

# http://www.mysite.com/catalog/ = RewriteBase /catalog/

# http://www.mysite.com/catalog/shop/ = RewriteBase /catalog/shop/

# Change the following line using the instructions above

RewriteBase /

RewriteRule ^(.*)-p-(.*).html$ product_info.php?products_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-c-(.*).html$ index.php?cPath=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-m-(.*).html$ index.php?manufacturers_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-pi-(.*).html$ popup_image.php?pID=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-by-(.*).html$ all-products.php?fl=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-t-(.*).html$ articles.php?tPath=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-a-(.*).html$ article_info.php?articles_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-au-(.*).html$ articles.php?authors_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-pr-(.*).html$ product_reviews.php?products_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-pri-(.*).html$ product_reviews_info.php?products_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-f-(.*).html$ faqdesk_info.php?faqdesk_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-fc-(.*).html$ faqdesk_index.php?faqPath=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-fri-(.*).html$ faqdesk_reviews_info.php?faqdesk_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-fra-(.*).html$ faqdesk_reviews_article.php?faqdesk_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-i-(.*).html$ information.php?info_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-links-(.*).html$ links.php?lPath=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-pm-([0-9]+).html$ info_pages.php?pages_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-n-(.*).html$ newsdesk_info.php?newsdesk_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-nc-(.*).html$ newsdesk_index.php?newsPath=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-nri-(.*).html$ newsdesk_reviews_info.php?newsdesk_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-nra-(.*).html$ newsdesk_reviews_article.php?newsdesk_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-po-([0-9]+).html$ pollbooth.php?pollid=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

# End Ultimate SEO V2.2d

I hope that somone van help me.

Jack,

Is there a better way to handle products that have been deleted? I get a lot of "Duplicate Title Tags" errors in Google Webmaster Tools and all the product id's that are listed are of products that have been deleted. Can code be added to 404 redirect for items that have been deleted? These are pages that google should no longer be indexing or crawling anyways. Some of the latest Google updates "Google Panda" actually punishes sites for "thin content". So if we can tell the search engines remove the page from the their database and help to remove "thin content" on the site it would be a plus for everyone.

I have tried the following with no success, I think it does not work with this contribution:

product_info.php

find: $product_check = tep_db_fetch_array($product_check_query);
add after: if ($product_check['total'] < 1) {
header('HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found');}

Edited by blaine109

The product page already checks if the product can be found. If it can't, it displays a no products found message. You could add the code to that part of the page, though I would issue a 301 to a more relevant page. The code should check to see if it is a spider that is asking for it to save server load and if there are more than just products (categories), it should be in the application top file. Code could be added to this addon, and probably should be, but the other method would be more efficient, I think.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

I'm not too sure about a 301. That would imply that the page that was indexed for specific content that used to be there has just moved. In the case of a deleted product, it is simply no longer there. If the page is not there then it's not there, no need to send users to a page that only has suggested content that may or may not be close or similar to what they were looking for. When the search engines scan that 301 and take the new URL in the place of the old it will become devalued anyways and may also get tagged as "thin content" and could possibly bring down your site score.

I think a 401 would be better and hopefully everyone has a nice friendly 401 page setup allowing the customer to type in a new search for what they are looking for. Or perhaps a change that would issue the 401 and supply code to be used in a custom 401 page to supply relevant links based on keywords found in the requested URL, etc. That would tell the user and the search engines that the content requested is no longer available but also supply the user with other options to look at.

Hello,

How can i have the subcategory or product link as follows (not - but /):

For product: www.hobievi.com/<top category>/<product name>.html

Subcategory: www.hobievi.com/<top category/<category>.html

Thanks,

Yavuz

I'm currently using STS_templates contribution and a Master_Slave contribution. Will this addon work with these particular contributions?

Yes.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

Hello,

How can i have the subcategory or product link as follows (not - but /):

For product: www.hobievi.com/<top category>/<product name>.html

Subcategory: www.hobievi.com/<top category/<category>.html

You could try turning on the include category option.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have installed SEO Class 5 years ago and have no problems. i must say its great!!

I had to make some changes and i do not know how, every time an instance of the class is made the install_settings method is called.

Im sure i have not make any chage in theinstalation system, but for any reason the class cant recognize the constants loaded from the database and calls every time to the install_settings methods. It causes to my server almost to die because of mysql load.

Does any body had a similar problem... 5 hours looking the code and cant see whats the problem...

Any help will by appreciated

All I can suggest is that you review the instructions and make sure you have made all of the changes. You can't just replace the one file in all cases.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

• 2 weeks later...

Just installed the mod, getting 404. Confirmed with host (ipage) that mod rewrite is enabled. Also noticed that when I turn seo urls off in the admin, the next page load of the site reactivates it...? I've attached my htaccess. Site is at domain.com/store

Of note: I'm running mini-template-system on the site, not sure if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

htaccess.txt

Edited by hornetnz

When you run it, if it thinks it is not installed, it will install itself If you are using the uninstall option in admin, then it will re-install itself. But you should be able to turn it off in admin and the setting should stay that way. So if you are just turing it off and it changes the setting to on, there must be a problem with the installation. In that case, go back through the instructions to be sure they were done correctly.

Before doing that though, you can try changing

Options +FollowSymLinks

to

#Options +FollowSymLinks

That line can cause problems with some servers, though it is usually an internal server error. Worth a try though.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Before doing that though, you can try changing

Options +FollowSymLinks

to

#Options +FollowSymLinks

That line can cause problems with some servers, though it is usually an internal server error. Worth a try though.

That did it!

It's still auto-turning back on when I turn seo urls off, but at least its working when on. I'll double check the install, but I'm fairly sure I didn't miss anything.

Thanks.

Yeah all of the code edits look to be correct. Not sure whats causing the re-activation. Interesting note tho..

1. Set Enable SEO URLs? to false
  2. Refresh homepage, confirm URLS are normal
  3. Click SEO URLS in admin
  4. Options table is EMPTY??
  5. Click SEO URLS in admin again
  6. Options table is there
  7. Enable SEO URLs? is set back to true
  8. Refresh homepage, URLS are back to SEO

Edited by hornetnz

Hi,

I'm trying to enter some character conversions. I have å=>a, ä=>a and ö=>o.

On products they work great but if there's a category with any of these characters in them it displays an error page with a infinite loop message.

Any help would be appreciated...

@@supernalle I tried it here and it is working as expected. If you are using a template, it might be that your categories are not coded correctly. Also be sure you are using my latest version. Other than that, I can't think of anything else to suggest.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Howdy. Jack I just noticed my alphabet links for the all_products page are goofy.

I am seeing

.com/all-products.php-by-F.html

shouldn't it be something like

com/all-products-by-F.html

i.e. get rid of the .php.

Is this expected output, or is this an error I've made in the htacess file or in the seo class file? any pointers?

-Dave

Hello,

I already installed oscommerce 2.3.3 and the main security adds on, and now I want for Ultimate seo, to see how it works. I saw that there are a lot of pages here to read-336, and also a lot of history-107 at ultimate seo add on. I am a little confuse because I don't know what to donwload from:http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/2823.There is a full package of ultimate seo?

Many thanks in advance