• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[CONTRIBUTION] Ultimate SEO URLs v2.1 - by Chemo

I installed the last version 2.2d-12 at my OSC Shop 2.3.2 and had a permanent redirect loop when clicking on any product or category until I switched off the following option:

Enable automatic redirects -> FALSE

it seems that the auto redirect feature causes the permanent loop!! :-(

Now everything works fine and I had to say it's a great contribution :D

But maybe the auto redirect feature should be OFF by default?

Edited by jackj66

Hello,

I'm getting a problem with urls crawler, they are taken a url category like this /category-c-3_8_26_35_15_46_21_44_1.html and I only have 1 subcategory, how can I cut this urls to /category-c-3_8.html

Thanks!!

That path must be coming from somewhere. If you had other categories that you deleted, you can try clearing the cache in this contribution. Otherwise try tracing the path to see where it is coming from, like: /category-c-3_8_26_35_15_46_21_44.html, /category-c-3_8_26_35_15_46_21.html, and so on.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi Jack_mcs,

Thanks for your answer :)

I don't know where ir coming this url, but googlebot access in.

None of them are categories deleted, and cache was reset recently.

When I enter to this urls, category showed are the last two numbers in the url.

What should I do?

Regards!!

Edited by PiLLaO

It isn't something I can help with in a support thread since it is specific to your shop and would require a closer look at the database.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

Jack,

Pretty pleeeeeease... Could you see a way to make your 2.2d v11 compatible with iOSC?

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/7636/v,22

The iOSC contibution support package

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/8578/v,22 has USU5 support, but not Chemos/Yours.

The iOSC module is matruing nicely and from the support thread history, the #1 grief issue is no 2.2d support.

I am having a terrible time with redirects from url rewritten pages. Plus it would be nice to have seo urls on the mobile side. If a bribe will help let me know ;) Thanks for the consideration.

-Dave

I installed the latest versio into a shop using this contribution and the urls were rewritten, as I recall. I had to pull it out because there were other problems with that version so I can't check it now.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

• 3 weeks later...

If you mean oscommerce, then you can become a sponsor. If you mean this addon, there's no project. Addons are written or maintained by any that want to do it and then offered to the community free of charge. For any addon, you can send that author a payment if you like but it would not be for any future development, in most cases.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hello,

I installed this module on my windows IIS server following all the instructions in the html file. However, still i am getting the page not found error. I also tried it on my ubuntu server and got the same page not found error. I have been stuck on this error for the past two days. Any help in this regard would be highly appreciated.

Regards,

Copyleft

It won't work on a Windows server, as far as I know, unless that server as a rewrite module installed. You would have to ask your host about that. The better choice would be to switch to a Linux server since there are other contributions that will have problems with a Windows server.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Thank you for your reply.

The ultimate SEO urls addon claims that it works on any server.

The phpinfo on the windows server reveals that it has IIS_UrlRewriteModule installed on it.

I also tried it on my local ubuntu server but it also didnt worked out. You can have a look at it at babarhaq.pk/osc. Clicking on any product or category takes you to a not found page.

Please point out where it says that. In the instructions I just looked at it clearly says,

Linux based server capable of mod_rewrite
Regardless of what it says, if you choose to keep with a Windows server, I've no way to help you since I don't have access to one. You can try the SEO 5 addon. I think it has a Windows option but you may run into other compantibilty problems.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

I really appreciate your help.

I found it here http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/2823.

"It says This contribution will work for any store on any server. It is compatible with not only *NIX based servers but also Windows/IIS servers."

You're looking at the quote for the initial upload almost 8 years ago. A few things have changed since then. You could use one of the versions from that time and it might work but I wouldn't recommend it.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

I've got a client who'd like to see the hyphen between the categories replaced by a forward slash. I've fooled around with the code a bit, but can't seem to get it completely right. Also, I'm afraid to break it up (and maybe pay for it by getting worse rankings).

The solution presented here: http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/topic/154166-contribution-ultimate-seo-urls-v21-by-chemo/page__st__3660#entry1388842 works a bit, but only between (all of) the categories and the product.

Since the hyphen seems to be hardcoded all around in the code, it might be a good idea to turn this "delimiter" into a configuration variable in a future release.

But for a short-term solution: can you point me to the lines that I can (and need to) change, without me having to be scared of breaking anything?

Thx!

Thanks for the plugin, working excellently except a few issues I am experiencing:

On category and product pages Google is indexing the page url + productsid

example:

Category

http://www.xyz.com/categorypage.html?products_id=538

I have used the canonical plugin to fix the product page but cannot fix the categories.

I now have duplicate content and half of indexed urls that don't make sense.

Any advice??

Thanks for the plugin, working excellently except a few issues I am experiencing:

I have used the canonical plugin to fix the product page but cannot fix the categories.

I now have duplicate content and half of indexed urls that don't make sense.

It makes no difference with the search engines if the id is showing or not. That is strictly a matter of taste for the shop owner. It isn't possible with the code as it is to do what you want and trying to force the code to display as you want will just cause you problems. Also, it is very unlikely that you have duplicate content problems. In almost all cases I've seen where the shop owner thinks they have that problem, it turned out to be a duplicate titles and tags instead, which is a completely diferent matter. What makes you think you have duplicate content?

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

At the moment I have both the exact category page indexed as well as the same page with the products_id in the URL

So for example

http://www.xyz.com/categorypage-c-77.html - the main category page

http://www.xyz.com/categorypage-c-77.html?products_id=538 - the extra page with a product id showing.

I think I am right in thinking that a product id doesn't need to be shown on a category page.

http://www.xyz.com/categorypage.html?products_id=538

• 2 weeks later...

Just had the mod installed along with an upgrade to the latest version of OScommerce. All looks fine expect one very odd, but big issue. I have the word length filter set to 0. I need this because I have descriptions where part of the desc has a single character in them, for example, “1980 P Lincoln Cent” and “1980 D Lincoln Cent”. The “P” and “D” or “S” are very important in product desc. Look at this page. http://coinsforsale.mountainviewcoins.com/cents-lincoln-cents-lincoln-cent-singles-1980-1989-c-24_21_25_76.html there are some “P” and “D” products. If you click on the “D” mint mark products all is well, but if you click on the “P” mint mark products, I get the “Product not found!” message. But JUST on products with a “P” as a single character in the whole desc. “S” and “G” works. Very odd. Anybody have any ideas?

It's because some of those letters are used by the code. A p for example, stands for product. The only options I can think of to get it to work is:

1 - Change the code in the seo.class.php file so that it checks for only lowercase letters (since yours are uppercase).

2 - change the code so that it uses some other charcter that you don't use in your products.

3 - Try one of the other seo rewriters that allow url's without the letter. I think SEO 5 is the only one that does that that is currently supported, though I may be wrong. This may seem the simplest but be sure to check your shop afterwards since something parts may not work without further changes due to compatibility problems with some addons.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Just a wild guess here, @@mountainviewcoins, but if I recall it well, the rewrite engine uses -p- to refer to the product info page:

RewriteRule ^(.*)-p-(.*).html$ product_info.php?products_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

Since the seo.class.php replaces all blanks (spaces) with hyphens, I think your P is misinterpreted as a reference to the product info page...

I cannot think of a viable solution right now... maybe there are others with suggestions?

LOL, Jack and I posted at the same time...

Edited by dfirefire

• 5 weeks later...