• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[CONTRIBUTION] Ultimate SEO URLs v2.1 - by Chemo

Jack,

The suggestions you made didn't work but I did find something interesting. I turned off SEO Urls in admin. The categories now work but when I click on a product instead of going to the product's page, a downloaded file of product_info.php is sent to my computer. Go to my site www.discxpress.com, click on a product. You'll see what I'm talking about.

I believe it's the way the server interacts with PHP or the way it generates links.

That doesn't have anything to do with this contribution. You'll need to post in the general forum for it.Once your basic shop is working, this contribution should too.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

That doesn't have anything to do with this contribution. You'll need to post in the general forum for it.Once your basic shop is working, this contribution should too.

I found the problem. zlib wasn't enabled. I enabled it on the server and the pages display! Now i need to upgrade the version of PHP.

Thanks

I'm a little out of my depth here, and have stuggled to fully comprehend prior 'solutions' in the thread.

Nonetheless, having migrated my osc installation to a new host, I came across a number of problems, most of which I seem to have sorted out.

However, I find that all product and category links are broken. After some searching, I read it may be something to do with the SEO contribution.

if I disable SEO url's, the links work, re-enable it, and the problem reappears.

Having searched on the subject, I saw references to the .htaccess file, I'm concerned, as my .htaccess file is zero bytes!

What information do I need to provide to get help?

Answers at dummies level needed please!

Having searched on the subject, I saw references to the .htaccess file, I'm concerned, as my .htaccess file is zero bytes!

What information do I need to provide to get help?

Answers at dummies level needed please!

The .htaccess file is required. It doesn't always get copied in such a move since it is a hidden file. You'll need to upload it to your server to fix this, assuming there are not any other problems.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

I guess it is a problem, as I can't find it!

Where do I go from here?

Load it from your backup or create one using the code from the installation instructions.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

I unzipped the osc package and ftp'd the htaccess file to my new installation.

I then edited it as per step #6 of the Ultimate SEO URLs Documentation and all links seem to be working!

Please take a look at my htaccess file and see if it's okay, or are there any recommendations on what I can or should change?

# $Id: .htaccess 1739 2007-12-20 00:52:16Z hpdl $

#

# This is used with Apache WebServers

#

# For this to work, you must include the parameter 'Options' to

# the AllowOverride configuration

#

# Example:

#

# <directory "="" usr="" local="" apache="" htdocs"="">

# AllowOverride Options

# </directory>

#

# 'All' with also work. (This configuration is in the

# apache/conf/httpd.conf file)

# The following makes adjustments to the SSL protocol for Internet

# Explorer browsers

#<ifmodule mod_setenvif.c="">

# <ifdefine ssl="">

# SetEnvIf User-Agent ".*MSIE.*" \

# nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown \

# downgrade-1.0 force-response-1.0

# </ifdefine>

#</ifmodule>

# If Search Engine Friendly URLs do not work, try enabling the

# following Apache configuration parameter

# AcceptPathInfo On

# Fix certain PHP values

# (commented out by default to prevent errors occuring on certain

# servers)

# php_value session.use_trans_sid 0

# php_value register_globals 1

# Begin Ultimate SEO V2.2d

Options +FollowSymLinks

RewriteEngine On

# RewriteBase instructions

# Change RewriteBase dependent on how your shop is accessed as below.

# http://www.mysite.com = RewriteBase /

# http://www.mysite.com/catalog/ = RewriteBase /catalog/

# http://www.mysite.com/catalog/shop/ = RewriteBase /catalog/shop/

# Change the following line using the instructions above

RewriteBase /

RewriteRule ^(.*)-p-(.*).html$ product_info.php?products_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-c-(.*).html$ index.php?cPath=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-m-(.*).html$ index.php?manufacturers_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-pi-(.*).html$ popup_image.php?pID=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-by-(.*).html$ all-products.php?fl=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-t-(.*).html$ articles.php?tPath=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-a-(.*).html$ article_info.php?articles_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-au-(.*).html$ articles.php?authors_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-pr-(.*).html$ product_reviews.php?products_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-pri-(.*).html$ product_reviews_info.php?products_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-f-(.*).html$ faqdesk_info.php?faqdesk_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-fc-(.*).html$ faqdesk_index.php?faqPath=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-fri-(.*).html$ faqdesk_reviews_info.php?faqdesk_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-fra-(.*).html$ faqdesk_reviews_article.php?faqdesk_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-i-(.*).html$ information.php?info_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-links-(.*).html$ links.php?lPath=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-pm-([0-9]+).html$ info_pages.php?pages_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-n-(.*).html$ newsdesk_info.php?newsdesk_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-nc-(.*).html$ newsdesk_index.php?newsPath=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-nri-(.*).html$ newsdesk_reviews_info.php?newsdesk_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-nra-(.*).html$ newsdesk_reviews_article.php?newsdesk_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-po-([0-9]+).html$ pollbooth.php?pollid=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

# End Ultimate SEO V2.2d

My thanks for all the help so far - much appreciated

I unzipped the osc package and ftp'd the htaccess file to my new installation.

I then edited it as per step #6 of the Ultimate SEO URLs Documentation and all links seem to be working!

Please take a look at my htaccess file and see if it's okay, or are there any recommendations on what I can or should change?

It looks fine.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Thanks all for this great contribution.

I have successful installed it to my heavily modified store and almost everything works,

Just a small problem, when an item is added to the cart and I hit continue shopping button I get the error page not found.

The link from my shopping cart looks like this

http://www.site.com/dir/catlog/index.php?products_id=10**'>http://www.site.com/dir/catlog/index.php?products_id=10**

<?php echo '<a href="' . tep_href_link($navigation->path[$back]['page'], tep_array_to_string($navigation->path[$back]['get'], array('action')), $navigation->path[$back]['mode']) . '">' . tep_image_button('button_continue_shopping.gif', IMAGE_BUTTON_CONTINUE_SHOPPING) . '</a>'; ?></td>

I know I will have to fix this but my PHP skills are very limited

The back button on my reviews info page works and the link looks like this

http://www.site.com/dir/catlog /product_reviews.php?products_id=5*

<?php echo '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_REVIEWS, tep_get_all_get_params(array('reviews_id'))) . '">' . tep_image_button('button_back.gif', IMAGE_BUTTON_BACK) . '</a>'; ?></td>

My htacces looks like this

RewriteRule ^(.*)-pr-(.*).html$ product_reviews.php?products_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-pri-(.*).html$ product_reviews_info.php?products_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

# End Ultimate SEO V2.2d

Can any one here help me, thanks in advance

Thanks all for this great contribution.

I have successful installed it to my heavily modified store and almost everything works,

Just a small problem, when an item is added to the cart and I hit continue shopping button I get the error page not found.

The link from my shopping cart looks like this

This isn't a problem with this contribution. It is due to coding mistakes in your shop. A fix for the continue shopping problem can be found here. If that doesn't fix it, you can find other solutions by searching the forums or post a question in the general section.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Dear Jack,

Thanks for the quick reply, this seems to work, need some more testing though, i have just noticed that do not matter were you click add to cart from [product info or reviews or product list] it always send you back to the index.php [kind of annoying for some customers] do you have any suggestions, thanks in advance.

it is also doing the same thing for wish list now, after add to wish list the back button send you back to index.php

I will appreciate if you can send me links for were they are currently talking about this topic in this forum, I had no luck finding any useful info

Edited by SpiceUp

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

I've installed Ultima Seo Url but i have some problems with the "Extra Info Pages" tool.

All of the links pages work correctly, but the main menu that is builded with Extra Info Pages don't work, it send me a 404 error.

If You make clic in main menu on www.chicbcn.com you'll see it.

Please .. help me!!

Here you have a .htaccess:

# Begin Ultimate SEO V2.2d
Options +FollowSymLinks
RewriteEngine On
 # RewriteBase instructions
 # Change RewriteBase dependent on how your shop is accessed as below.
 # http://www.mysite.com = RewriteBase /
 # http://www.mysite.com/catalog/ = RewriteBase /catalog/
 # http://www.mysite.com/catalog/shop/ = RewriteBase /catalog/shop/
 # Change the following line using the instructions above

RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^(.*)-au-(.*).html$ articles.php?authors_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}
RewriteRule ^(.*)-f-(.*).html$ faqdesk_info.php?faqdesk_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}
RewriteRule ^(.*)-fc-(.*).html$ faqdesk_index.php?faqPath=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}
RewriteRule ^(.*)-fri-(.*).html$ faqdesk_reviews_info.php?faqdesk_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}
RewriteRule ^(.*)-fra-(.*).html$ faqdesk_reviews_article.php?faqdesk_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}
RewriteRule ^(.*)-n-(.*).html$ newsdesk_info.php?newsdesk_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}
RewriteRule ^(.*)-nc-(.*).html$ newsdesk_index.php?newsPath=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}
RewriteRule ^(.*)-nri-(.*).html$ newsdesk_reviews_info.php?newsdesk_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}
RewriteRule ^(.*)-nra-(.*).html$ newsdesk_reviews_article.php?newsdesk_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}
RewriteRule ^(.*)-po-([0-9]+).html$ pollbooth.php?pollid=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}
# End Ultimate SEO V2.2d

Hi.

I've installed Ultima Seo Url but i have some problems with the "Extra Info Pages" tool.

All of the links pages work correctly, but the main menu that is builded with Extra Info Pages don't work, it send me a 404 error.

I am not familiar with that contribution. I think I added code to handle it though. Since the links are working, that would seem to be the case. In that case, something in the main menu that you mention is probably at fault. No idea what that might be though since I don't have a shop with it installed.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Good afternoon. I just installed v22d_11. I'm on a win/IIS hosting platform osCom 2.3.1. I downloaded this after reading in the history that this will support any server - but for windows, cName only. I followed installation instructions as per the html install page included in the dowload, but there is no metion of windows or IIS.... in fact, step #6 is for .htaccess, which is for Apache, so I've skippted this step for now... I went to my site, index.php loaded fine.... clicked on a product and got 404. Went to my site's admin, thinking I needed to set up something in regard to the cName thing, but mis-remembered temporarily and edited the cPath setting to 'true'. Re-tested my site and still 404, and thought maybe something with all the cache stuff, so went back to admin and edited a setting that did some type of cache re-set, but when I saved that, I now get "Seo URLS 1146 - Table 'wicker.cache' doesn't exist DELETE FROM cache WHERE cache_name LIKE '%seo_urls%'

And now I can't edit any SEO URLs settings - I click on the settings and there is no right-hand column to click "Edit" or anything. I've tried to search this forum for tips on IIS install, but what I guessed to use as search terms don't get a hit on anything. I'm sure that others have had IIS install related questions here, so I apologize if my inadequate search terms have not uncovered them to this point. Please help!!!! Any assistance or pointing to any docs on installing this with win/IIS will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Good afternoon. I just installed v22d_11. I'm on a win/IIS hosting platform osCom 2.3.1. I downloaded this after reading in the history that this will support any server - but for windows, cName only. I followed installation instructions as per the html install page included in the dowload, but there is no metion of windows or IIS.... in fact, step #6 is for .htaccess, which is for Apache, so I've skippted this step for now... I went to my site, index.php loaded fine.... clicked on a product and got 404. Went to my site's admin, thinking I needed to set up something in regard to the cName thing, but mis-remembered temporarily and edited the cPath setting to 'true'. Re-tested my site and still 404, and thought maybe something with all the cache stuff, so went back to admin and edited a setting that did some type of cache re-set, but when I saved that, I now get "Seo URLS 1146 - Table 'wicker.cache' doesn't exist DELETE FROM cache WHERE cache_name LIKE '%seo_urls%'

And now I can't edit any SEO URLs settings - I click on the settings and there is no right-hand column to click "Edit" or anything. I've tried to search this forum for tips on IIS install, but what I guessed to use as search terms don't get a hit on anything. I'm sure that others have had IIS install related questions here, so I apologize if my inadequate search terms have not uncovered them to this point. Please help!!!! Any assistance or pointing to any docs on installing this with win/IIS will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

This one will not work on IIS, for IIS you can use Ultimate Seo Urls 5 PRO.

Ok, so I found that I was using "wicker.cache" when searching this forum for issues regarding the cache table not existing - duh - "wicker" is unique to my site's db name! So anyway, was then able to find a prior post in which someone pointed out an issue in the create table DDL in which it was using older "TYPE=" instead of newer "ENGINE=". So I changed that and manually ran the create table DDL in phpadmin and created the cache table and so now my admin is back to working ok.

So now I'm just down to one main issue - how do I configure this contrib to work with win/IIS? I see the add-on history notes that you need to use cName - but I only see a cPath option in my admin config, and toggling that setting seems to have no effect on the 404's..... maybe I've misread something, or fudged something up again! Any help is greatly, greatly appreciated! Thanks.

This one will not work on IIS, for IIS you can use Ultimate Seo Urls 5 PRO.

Thanks for the reply, Nick. I was typing the above post while you posted this reply.... So did I just read or interpret the add-on description wrong, in which Jack states, "This contribution will work for any store on any server. It is compatible with not only *NIX based servers but also Windows/IIS servers (although IIS is limited to cName)." Not trying to be rude in doubting your advice, just trying to fully understand where I'm going wrong on this... Thanks!

So now I'm just down to one main issue - how do I configure this contrib to work with win/IIS? I see the add-on history notes that you need to use cName - but I only see a cPath option in my admin config, and toggling that setting seems to have no effect on the 404's..... maybe I've misread something, or fudged something up again! Any help is greatly, greatly appreciated! Thanks.

As nick mentioned, this contribuiton won't work on Windows. There is a program your host can install that will allow .htaccess to be used but there is probably a cost for that so it may not be worth it. The cName you mention if from an earlier version of this contribution. It is very outdated at this point and I wouldn't recommend using it. Your choices are to use SEO 5 or move to a Linux server. The latter may sound extreme but I think you will find you'll have far less trouble with your site down the road.

in which Jack states, "This contribution will...
This contribution was written by someone else and those are his words. Are you seeing them in the latest version or in the original text posted for the contrbution. If the latter, you should never rely on that, especially for contributions that have been around as long as this one has. Edited by Jack_mcs

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

As nick mentioned, this contribuiton won't work on Windows. There is a program your host can install that will allow .htaccess to be used but there is probably a cost for that so it may not be worth it. The cName you mention if from an earlier version of this contribution. It is very outdated at this point and I wouldn't recommend using it. Your choices are to use SEO 5 or move to a Linux server. The latter may sound extreme but I think you will find you'll have far less trouble with your site down the road.

This contribution was written by someone else and those are his words. Are you seeing them in the latest version or in the original text posted for the contrbution. If the latter, you should never rely on that, especially for contributions that have been around as long as this one has.

Ok, thanks so much for the clarification and advice!

Hi there, Ive just noticed that if I have a word "by" (something by a designer for example) in the product name the url doesnt work - page not found.

Not sure how to deal with this???

Anyone had this problem??

Hello Community,

there's one little problem with the contribution which i try to explain in the following.

Generelly the problem is, that the script doesnt rewrite wrong URLs (with correct -p- and -c- IDs given) to the right one.

Scenario 1:

Once i had an internal SEO URLs Cache error which caused, that all links in the shop where given in the form e.g. domain.com/-p-6108.html or domain.com/-p-6109.html and so on.

The URLs worked, but google started to crawl those wrong URLs immediately which leads to the problem, that i have hundreds of entries in the Webmaster Tools under "HTML Suggestions" -> "Duplicate title tags".

Those wrong URLs were present only about an hour, but remain as Duplicates since months now. OK, i know - no big deal about it, but it shouldn't be there.

Scenario2:

Sometimes people link with wrong URL's to the shop. For example they copy and link something shortened like domain.com/this-i[.....]ng-url-p-6108.html instead of domain.com/this-is-my-product-with-a-very-long-url-p-6108.html

Both links are working, but only one URL is wanted, since the wrong one leads again to duplicate content.

Scenario3:

Really bad guys could try to influence your ranking by setting up bad neighbourhood links including badwords in your URL. You already know what i mean: domain.com/buy-cheap-vi*gra-at-cas*no-with-cred*t-p-6108.html

I put some * in there, but it's obviousely. This is a bad scenario i wanted to mention. Those product URLs with bad words will - of course - work.

Scenario4:

Sometimes you alter your products name, which leads to the problem that the URL will also change unless you put the old one maually in the "Products SEO URL" field. Currently i'm just rewriting those product-URLs manually in the .htaccess-file. The script would do it automatically.

Scenario5:

Huge sites profit by providing short links, which would be a "goody", if the scenarios above would be solved: domain.com/-p-6109.html will always be rewritten to domain.com/fancy-product-p-6109.html

Unfortunately im a dummy at php-coding and rewriting, i can do some php coding myself but the code would be really dirty and i'm not sure where to place it to prevent "header already sent" problems.

What we would need shouldn't be very hard to code. Basically it only has to compare the browser URL with the corrcect URL and rewrite to the correct one, if needed.

To explain in a pseudo code:

//warning - pseudo - dummy-code ;)
$browserURL=$_SERVER['PHP_SELF'];
if (isset(Products_SEO_URL)) {
$trueURL=products_SEO_URL;
} else {
$trueURL=products_url_from_cache;
}
if ($browserURL != $trueURL) {
Code for REWRITE with 301 to $trueURL;
}

The problem exists on all links, most important are category and product URLs.

I hope you know what i mean and would be glad if anyone would be interested in solving that issue or has his thoughts on it.

Cheers

Generelly the problem is, that the script doesnt rewrite wrong URLs (with correct -p- and -c- IDs given) to the right one.

Scenario 1:

Once i had an internal SEO URLs Cache error which caused, that all links in the shop where given in the form e.g. domain.com/-p-6108.html or domain.com/-p-6109.html and so on.

The URLs worked, but google started to crawl those wrong URLs immediately which leads to the problem, that i have hundreds of entries in the Webmaster Tools under "HTML Suggestions" -> "Duplicate title tags".

Those wrong URLs were present only about an hour, but remain as Duplicates since months now. OK, i know - no big deal about it, but it shouldn't be there.

For the first problem, you need to upgrade to my latest version - V22-d since it will catch such problems. For the second, those are duplicate pagages, they are duplicate titles and not a problem. You may want to edit your titles but that is not something this contribution will do. I suggest install the Header Tags SEO contribution to handle that. The rest are just more of the same of the first problem and should be cleared up when you upgrade.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

For the first problem, you need to upgrade to my latest version - V22-d since it will catch such problems. For the second, those are duplicate pagages, they are duplicate titles and not a problem. You may want to edit your titles but that is not something this contribution will do. I suggest install the Header Tags SEO contribution to handle that. The rest are just more of the same of the first problem and should be cleared up when you upgrade.

All right Jack, thank you for the hint - i'm the blind one.

So i see, i've got an ultra-old version installed: Version 2.1 from late 2007.

Can i simply upgrade from my version to the latest version "Ultimate SEO 2-2.2d-11" or would you suggest to pick a different version berfore i do the final upgrade.

Main aim is, that the URLs won't change if i do the upgrade.