• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[CONTRIBUTION] Ultimate SEO URLs v2.1 - by Chemo

IMPORTANT READ THIS

Hi everyone,

My server with Ultimate SEO URLs Contribution is up and running. I have to do some minor corrections on my .php files, but important is that this Contrb is working.

This is what I've done after SEO instal to get my site working:

IMPORTANT

1: Checked if rewrite_module is enabled on Apache Server, it was. i.e.: LoadModule rewrite_module modules/mod_rewrite.so

IMPORTANT

2: Checked if Apache server has AllowOverride Enabled. It wasn't enabled so I had problems with SEO Contrib. After I've Enabled AllowOverride, all it's working.

That's a good contribution. I'll come back with some questions regarding the other minor corrections for getting it work for all pages.

IMPORTANT READ THIS

Hi everyone,

My server with Ultimate SEO URLs Contribution is up and running. I have to do some minor corrections on my .php files, but important is that this Contrb is working.

This is what I've done after SEO instal to get my site working:

IMPORTANT

1: Checked if rewrite_module is enabled on Apache Server, it was. i.e.: LoadModule rewrite_module modules/mod_rewrite.so

IMPORTANT

2: Checked if Apache server has AllowOverride Enabled. It wasn't enabled so I had problems with SEO Contrib. After I've Enabled AllowOverride, all it's working.

That's a good contribution. I'll come back with some questions regarding the other minor corrections for getting it work for all pages.

Woo Hoo! :D

Addme,

That is great news! Life would be so much easier for us if all the servers in the world were set up the same... Boring perhaps, but definitely easier.

Now that your server is cooperating, the rest should be relatively easy.

Talk with you soon. :)

-Skittles

hey everyone im trying to install this mod and i get page can not be displayed when i click a category or product, any ideas?

also if i go into the admin cpanel and click categories it displayes

1054 - Unknown column 'cd.categories_seo_url' in 'field list'

select c.categories_id, cd.categories_name, cd.categories_seo_url, c.categories_image, c.parent_id, c.sort_order, c.date_added, c.last_modified from categories c, categories_description cd where c.parent_id = '0' and c.categories_id = cd.categories_id and cd.language_id = '1' order by c.sort_order, cd.categories_name

[TEP STOP]

any ideas what i have done wrong?

xtreme-mobile,

That error means "categories_seo_url" in table categories_description does not exist.

Sounds like you may have inadvertently skipped step 6 of the install

STEP #6 - SQL Update

Run the following sql on your store database:

ALTER TABLE `categories_description` ADD `categories_seo_url` VARCHAR( 100 ) NOT NULL ;

ALTER TABLE `products_description` ADD `products_seo_url` VARCHAR( 100 ) NOT NULL ;

The two SQL statements need to be run using a sql managing client, like phpMyAdmin.

-Skittles

Thanks for looking.

Yes, the shop is working at the moment (without SEO).

But if I install SEO I get the problem, tried it 3 times now. And uninstalled it again so costumers can buy again. SEO works great, good urls only the connection with the admin. Do you now were it can go wrong?

"Use search engine safe URLs (still in development)" is enabled

Yes I am using them because of the urls are ranked at google. But its not compatible with Ideal eseay, that wy I want SEO CHemo it works good with Ideal and google links the old urls. Its perfecrt only the link with the admin?

It seems strange to me that the URLs vary like this. Are some of the links hard-coded?

Nope no hard-coded, maybe because still in development?

lenno,

Sorry, I really don't know where the problem is that's breaking your admin.

The two admin files not providing the complete information are "customers.php" and "orders.php". Neither file is modified by this contribution. Were they modified by any of the other contributions you have installed?

The install directions for this contribution change only two code files affecting the Admin: admin/includes/functions/general.php, and admin/categories.php. Detailed instructions are given for modifying general.php (install.html, and additional_install_instructions.txt).

However, instead of modification instructions, a modified version of categories.php is provided. If you have made any modifications to your categories.php for any of the other contributions you've already installed, you must find the changes in the supplied file and apply them to your already modified categories.php. That's where is can get tricky.

If two different mods are changing the same snippet of code, you have to integrate them yourself. You can't just copy and paste, as you'll break one of the mods. I suspect that is what is going on here.

When I run into this, I open a blank text file and copy all three snippets:

1. The original unmodified code.
  2. The existing modified code in my file
  3. And the new modified code from the contribution I'm now working on

I compare the snippets as I go about creating a fourth snippet of code that uses all my changes. When I think I have it right, I copy the new code into the file and test it. If it's wrong, I only need to undo one step in my working file, then go back to my text file and try again.

I know this is not a quick and easy answer, but I hope it helps you find and fix the conflicting code.

Good luck,

-Skittles

lenno,

Sorry, I really don't know where the problem is that's breaking your admin.

The two admin files not providing the complete information are "customers.php" and "orders.php". Neither file is modified by this contribution. Were they modified by any of the other contributions you have installed?

The install directions for this contribution change only two code files affecting the Admin: admin/includes/functions/general.php, and admin/categories.php. Detailed instructions are given for modifying general.php (install.html, and additional_install_instructions.txt).

However, instead of modification instructions, a modified version of categories.php is provided. If you have made any modifications to your categories.php for any of the other contributions you've already installed, you must find the changes in the supplied file and apply them to your already modified categories.php. That's where is can get tricky.

If two different mods are changing the same snippet of code, you have to integrate them yourself. You can't just copy and paste, as you'll break one of the mods. I suspect that is what is going on here.

When I run into this, I open a blank text file and copy all three snippets:

1. The original unmodified code.
  2. The existing modified code in my file
  3. And the new modified code from the contribution I'm now working on

I compare the snippets as I go about creating a fourth snippet of code that uses all my changes. When I think I have it right, I copy the new code into the file and test it. If it's wrong, I only need to undo one step in my working file, then go back to my text file and try again.

I know this is not a quick and easy answer, but I hope it helps you find and fix the conflicting code.

Good luck,

-Skittles

Thank you very mutch!

I am not so good in php, so I decided to install SEF (Seach Engine Friendly URL v1.10) it seems to work fine. Still testing, the conection admin works :D Only wish list seems te be disepeerd, but I can live with that.

ok sorted the query bit but when ever i try to go to a category of product all i get is

Not Found

The requested URL /catalog/index.php was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/1.3.37 Server at woodburner.extreme-mobile.co.uk Port 80

any ideas?

thanks for looking

dean

Visit my website in my profile for prices on woodburning stoves

ok sorted the query bit but when ever i try to go to a category of product all i get is

Not Found

The requested URL /catalog/index.php was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/1.3.37 Server at woodburner.extreme-mobile.co.uk Port 80

any ideas?

thanks for looking

dean

Dean,

I took a quick look at woodburner.extreme-mobile.co.uk. You've installed osCommerce directly in the subdomain, so my guess is you need to make a change in the .htaccess file to reflect that:

In your .htaccess file, look for "RewriteBase /catalog/" and change it to "RewriteBase /" (without the quotes).

Then try it again. Let us know if that's it.

-Skittles

installed today, followed instructions and it seemed to go well, came to test and when i go into categories i get http 404 error ??

And ideas ??

www.kimbosreptileworld.co.uk

DarrenDunnage,

I just took a look, and it seems to be working now. Did you have the same problem as xtreme-mobile? Was the RewriteBase issue in the .htaccess file the culprit?

-Skittles

sorted it was my htaccess file..

would somebody please just drop in and make sure its working ok..

Thanks

Darren

Seems like you and I are writing posts at the same time! :D

Your site seems to be working just fine.

-Skittles

Edited by Skittles

skittles your a star man :D

fixed the problem

my one question is though

the setting up of categories etc

ive set the multi-fuel stoves section us as Multi-fuel-stoves but it just removes the -s is that just the way it works?

Visit my website in my profile for prices on woodburning stoves

thanks for taking the time to look, i added the wrong .htaccess script, was looking for directory !!

When i am inputting new products should i be putting somthing in to the seo urls box in the product info ??

if so what should i be putting ??

has anyone experiance with the google feed that bobby has done, does it work ok with this contrib ??

also should i now put cdynamic, header tags in ??

thanks

darren

thanks for taking the time to look, i added the wrong .htaccess script, was looking for directory !!

When i am inputting new products should i be putting somthing in to the seo urls box in the product info ??

if so what should i be putting ??

has anyone experiance with the google feed that bobby has done, does it work ok with this contrib ??

also should i now put cdynamic, header tags in ??

thanks

darren

Darren,

Looks like the urls are exactly as they should be now.

You do not have to put anything in the "seo urls box", but if you do, what you enter will be used for the filename. Don't use hypens ("-") though. The script will remove them. It then substitutes hyphens for spaces. So if you want the url to look like "brosley-york-petite-p-42.html" you would enter "Brosley York Petite". (The script converts everything to lowercase, too, so you don't have to.)

By "google feed", are you referring to? Google XML Sitemap - Admin 2.1? There has been some discussion of it in this thread just a couple of pages back. It does not support the Ultimate SEO URLs "out of the box". There are two files which both have a line commented out that may solve the problem, but I haven't seen any confirmation of that. (look at posts 1408 and 1411 for details.)

I have no experience with "cDynamic Meta Tags".

I have "Header Tags Controller" installed on the same site as Ultimate SEO URLs, and they "play nice" with each other, but I had to find the changes for this contribution and enter them into my categories.php file manually. They even have some code in common, so I had to integrate the two.

If you can't get one of the header tag contributions working, don't fret. As someone who works with seo to pay the bills, I'd have to say it isn't overly important. There are ways to create a strong title tag from existing data fields, and the title tag is the only tag the big search engines give any significant weight to these days. I can't find it now, but Google has admitted to taking into account over 100 factors in determining a page's ranking for any particular query.

(For the best insight into what's going on at Google, stop by Matt Cutt's Blog)

Once you get your site up and running the way you want it, look into signing up for Google Base (formerly Froogle). It allows you to upload a feed with links to and information about your products and it's free. I don't know for sure, but it would make sense to have it for the UK as well as the US.

And if you want an edge on your competition, rewrite the product descriptions that the manufacturer provides. Not just a few words here and there, either. It's a lot of work, but it will prevent your pages from getting deprecated due to duplicate content.

Oops. Time to climb down off the soap box. Sorry... :-"

Cheers.

-Skittles

Skittles, thanks for that,

so by just copy and pasting the manufacturer descriptions it puts you down the ranking hey !!!! i suppose that makes sense..thanks..

I will certainly look at those things you have suggested, how do i get the google base feed going ??

and would you suggest i not bother with the header tags ??

i really want to work hard to get this site noticed, so please if anyone could offer any support/tips for getting traffic i would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks again

Darren

Hi again...

Problem after I've installed Ultimate SEO Contrib.

When the user tryes to connect, clicking login takes him to the page cookie_usage.php.

Anyone knows how to solve this?

Thanks in advance

I found that if FORCE COOKIE USAGE is ENABLED, users cant use Log-In or Shopping Cart (redirects to cookie_usage.php). Changed FORCE COOKIE USAGE to FALSE and fix that issue.

That's ok, but now I have the initial problem:

The URL becomes http://www.orbitalcomputers.ro/catalog/cal...lvj71vddvlmta64

and not http://www.orbitalcomputers.ro/catalog/cal...toare-c-23.html

Is there a fix for that?

I found that if FORCE COOKIE USAGE is ENABLED, users cant use Log-In or Shopping Cart (redirects to cookie_usage.php). Changed FORCE COOKIE USAGE to FALSE and fix that issue.

That's ok, but now I have the initial problem:

The URL becomes http://www.orbitalcomputers.ro/catalog/cal...lvj71vddvlmta64

and not http://www.orbitalcomputers.ro/catalog/cal...toare-c-23.html

Is there a fix for that?

Addme,

The "?osCsid=e6m4d1ks4dvlvj71vddvlmta64" is the session id. It only displays when the user's browser doesn't allow cookies. You need some way of determining the session to keep track of the user's cart. After they log in, the cart is saved to the database, but not before.

Try enabling cookies for this domain in your browser, and you should see the session id go away.

-Skittles

Skittles, thanks for that,

so by just copy and pasting the manufacturer descriptions it puts you down the ranking hey !!!! i suppose that makes sense..thanks..

I will certainly look at those things you have suggested, how do i get the google base feed going ??

and would you suggest i not bother with the header tags ??

i really want to work hard to get this site noticed, so please if anyone could offer any support/tips for getting traffic i would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks again

Darren

Darren,

Here are links to Google Base US, Google Base UK, and Google Base Germany. Google states "You must submit bulk uploads separately for each country. Please be sure to register each bulk upload while logged into the appropriate country version of Google Base." and "Please note that you will not be able to view bulk uploads registered in a different country than the one in which you've logged in."

There are help files, FAQs, etc available from the links above. Looks like you have to have an account with each supported country you want products to display for. Be sure and read the requirements.

If you use Google Base, you'll want to use a script that uses your SEO urls, too.

Header tags... I'm not saying you shouldn't use one of the contributions, just not to fret if you can't get them working with your setup due to conflicts with other contributions.

Getting traffic is really outside the topic of this thread. Try looking in the Next Steps/Marketing

forum for specific help, information and inspiration!

-Skittles

Been using Ultimate SEO for a while now, great contribution :). I have a question though. Is it possible to eliminate the use of number IDs completely from the URL? It just feels weird having them when words look good enough :). I was able to tweak the contrib and the htaccess to where the number looks less obvious, like so:

http://www.website.com/78/product.html

But I'm guessing its impossible without major tweaks to the core, product_info.php?products_name=lalala.

Addme,

Try enabling cookies for this domain in your browser, and you should see the session id go away.

-Skittles

Ok, I enabled cookies in my browser and still tryingto login or to buy anything gets you to that cookie_usage.php :(

Can't handle it.

Been using Ultimate SEO for a while now, great contribution :). I have a question though. Is it possible to eliminate the use of number IDs completely from the URL? It just feels weird having them when words look good enough :). I was able to tweak the contrib and the htaccess to where the number looks less obvious, like so:

http://www.website.com/78/product.html

But I'm guessing its impossible without major tweaks to the core, product_info.php?products_name=lalala.

Hi Bob,

You are correct, it is not possible to remove the number from the URL without rewriting the core code. The numbers in the url represent either the category_id(s) or the product_id.

-Skittles

Hello

This contribution has just be installed on my store and I am now getting the following error in categories.php when I try to edit a product. Has anyone seen this before and know of a fix?

Warning: reset() [function.reset]: Passed variable is not an array or object in /home/aiwrhhud/public_html/admin/includes/classes/object_info.php on line 18

Warning: Variable passed to each() is not an array or object in /home/aiwrhhud/public_html/admin/includes/classes/object_info.php on line 19