• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[CONTRIBUTION] Google XML Sitemap Feed - by Chemo

Fourbit

Did you successfully run it before trying the CRON? If you have CRON issues, then for the mean time, run the script through your browser and then manually submit the file through Google Sitemap Service.

Then try the CRON: php /home/sitename/store/googlesitemap/index.php

· willross

··········

Hi again Hans,

I've fixed the problem I was having. My store is still under development and I only had 1 category and 1 product. I added another category with 1 more product and now the contribution works a treat. This had me stumped all day.

Hope it helps you too.

Regards,

Fish

Yes that was my problem too.

Thanks Fish

Fourbit

Did you successfully run it before trying the CRON? If you have CRON issues, then for the mean time, run the script through your browser and then manually submit the file through Google Sitemap Service.

Then try the CRON: php /home/sitename/store/googlesitemap/index.php

Thanks willross,

Yes, I ran the whole thing successfully. In fact on 4 sites. But, I have manually submitted each one. And I tried both CRONs. I will run through it again. Maybe when I'm awake. ;)

Oh, heck, why not do it now. :D

Paul

http://www.microfiel.com/googlesitemap/index.php

I have the attributes put in 777 and the files update correctly.

I've had a look at your site and the only thing i can see is that the error message is:

fopen(datos/home/microfie/public_html/sitemapproducts.xml

Is that the correct path? your site is microfiel the root in the error says microfie (no "L")

Have you put the .htaccess file in the right place? and changed the root in it? as in the instructions?

have this error....

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: tep_get_parent_categories() in /home/downdogs/public_html/includes/seo_cache.php on line 166

comment out that line(put a # before it) in seo_cache and it should work.

Ok, here's one. My cron just sent me a message.

This is all it sent. Read between the lines.

---------------------------------

No input file specified.

----------------------------------

The cron is "/usr/bin/php /home/sitename/store/googlesitemap/index.php"

Odd? I don't know. I'm tired.

Paul

Try the cron as:

php /home/sitename/store/googlesitemap/index.php

A little knowledge is dangerous, I SHOULD KNOW.

If Life Begins At 40, What ends????

2 hours ago google accepted my sitemap, after a day or so of rejecting it due to an invalid date.

what I did was remov this:

\TH:i:sO"

and now it works.

so if anyone has invalid date error maybe this can help.

oh, bring chemo back!

I did the same on sunday, happens with popular contributions ... just started and already 150+ posts.

I believe the later release has this fixed.

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

2 hours ago google accepted my sitemap, after a day or so of rejecting it due to an invalid date.

what I did was remov this: 

\TH:i:sO"

and now it works.

so if anyone has invalid date error maybe this can help.

oh, bring chemo back!

Hello,

How do you see that google accepted your site ?

Thx,

Hans

hansmignon

You can find out two ways:

1) https://www.google.com/froogle/merchants/home

- If you set-up an account, then look for an 'OK' status.

2) Look at your site's page requests. You will see Google hitting everything at once

- A tracking variable would help too.

Note: Despite what is mentioned in the service information, it does positively affect your current standings and placement.

· willross

··········

willross

1) https://www.google.com/froogle/merchants/home

- If you set-up an account, then look for an 'OK' status.

Wheres the OK located?

I'm in the sitemaps(beta) part of Google through my account and have nothing showing for my site. Am i in the right place? why froogle/merchants/home?

I managed to get this working, with the full confirmation etc, and the cron job working and confirmed by e:mail. However, the link in the text after running the googlesitemap/index.php to submit it for the first time to Google goes to a blank page, and no submission is showing in my Google account.

I am going to enter them manually through my google account. Do i submit all three .xml files???

TIA

Sorry, heres the link for the log-in to the sitemap part of Google where i am.

I've manually submitted all 3 .xml files and now it has come up as pending on all 3.

Hope thats right???

Does anybody know?

Cheers

julianpuje

All of the Google services are wrapped into one session, so I go in there first. I guess you could start here too: http://www.google.com/webmasters/sitemaps/addsitemap

The table reads like froogle (just less info). You must at least manually submit the file 'sitemapindex.xml' which references the other two. This helps you stay under the file size limit... I used to have to do this with SMIL files for Warner Bros.

Then wait. No bells will ring nor will you see an email from Google. Just keep checking the account until it picks up the file and does an approval. After that it is indexing time for the googlebots!

· willross

··········

Hi willross,

I was wondering about the login too. I just use the link that you put in.

But, you also said no bells or email from Google. Is there a better way to submit it? I thought some people were getting emails from Google.

Plus, I only submitted the sitemapindex.xml file too.

julianpuje

All of the Google services are wrapped into one session, so I go in there first. I guess you could start here too: http://www.google.com/webmasters/sitemaps/addsitemap

The table reads like froogle (just less info). You must at least manually submit the file 'sitemapindex.xml' which references the other two. This helps you stay under the file size limit... I used to have to do this with SMIL files for Warner Bros.

Then wait. No bells will ring nor will you see an email from Google. Just keep checking the account until it picks up the file and does an approval. After that it is indexing time for the googlebots!

Edited by Fourbit

julianpuje

Thanks Will

I thought as much. I think i'll remove the other two .xml's and just leave the index.xml in there.

At least it's all present and correct then. You never know what Google likes or dislikes, so i'll remove the option to dislike.

Cheers

Julian

Fourbit

If you have already been approved for froogle then no emails are sent. If you don't, then maybe you do get something. However, I have not.

The 'sitemapindex.xml' should register with Google as having 0k (zero kb). It merely references the other two. It took 7 hours to OK my first upload.

· willross

··········

Hi willross,

I was wondering about the login too. I just use the link that you put in.

But, you also said no bells or email from Google. Is there a better way to submit it? I thought some people were getting emails from Google.

Plus, I only submitted the sitemapindex.xml file too.

The e:mails i think others are referring to are from their own site/server via the cron job to say it has generated the 3 .xml files.

How it works: (please someone correct me if i'm wrong)

The cron job kick starts the php file googlesitemaps/index.php to create the new 3.xml files, (on a daily basis if you kept the default setup). Thats why they need to be read/write so they can be rewritten whenever the cron kicks in.

The sitemapindex.xml file should then be submitted to Googles sitemaps (only the first time), so it knows you have it. It will then use that to reach the product and category .xml files and update any links on Google that have changed. ie you've edited etc.

As far as i am aware the priority and date parts of the sitemaps created indicates to the spider which products have changed & when.

I think thats it anyway.

I would not hold my breath for a confirmation e:mail from Google. Just keep an eye on your Google account as Will has said.

Use the link to Google sitemaps i've posted above and see what you get.

HTH

Julian

Thanks Will and Julian,

You are both probably right about those "emails". I was just a bit concerned 'cause I didn't get an email from "Google" at first. But, when I saw the "OK" on google for each of the four sites I assumed that all was well. Although, when "assuming" about Google, You are most likely to get bit. :D

Paul

I've had a look at your site and the only thing i can see is that the error message is:

fopen(datos/home/microfie/public_html/sitemapproducts.xml

Is that the correct path? your site is microfiel the root in the error says microfie (no "L")

Have you put the .htaccess file in the right place? and changed the root in it? as in the instructions?

comment out that line(put a # before it)  in seo_cache and it should work.

Try the cron as:

php /home/sitename/store/googlesitemap/index.php

The path is Ok.

My .htaccess in root /

RewriteEngine On

# Change "folder" to your catalog directory name

RewriteBase /

RewriteRule ^(.*)-p-(.*).html$ product_info.php?products_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-c-(.*).html$ index.php?cPath=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-m-(.*).html$ index.php?manufacturers_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING

php_flag register_globals on

RedirectMatch permanent ^/tienda/$ http://www.microfiel.com/

<Files 403.shtml>

order allow,deny

allow from all

</Files>

deny from 200.44.195.92

-------------------

In /googlesitemap/ do not have .htaccess update

Thanks

Elkanario

You may want to add an .htaccess file to /googlesitemap/ with the RewriteEngine Off. They tend to trickle down into sub folders and directories. I rewriite a few of my stores and I turn it off for /images/ too.

Besides that, it works for me and Google is still indexing them as we read this...

· willross

··········

Hi,

I have installed this contrib and this may sound like a really stoopid question but when you setup the cron job would this be the correct path if my store is in root

Also how would I know that it has run okay, would I have to wait until midnight??

Mark

Hi Bobby,

I now get this error after the cron job runs

/bin/sh: line 1: public_html/googlesitemap/index.php: Permission denied

Forgive my ignorance.

Mark

Lifes a bitch, then you marry one, then you die!

Try the cron as:

php /home/full/path/to/googlesitemap/index.php

you need the "php" at the start then a space followed by the path /............

You can set your cron to run in 5 minutes time, if it looks like it's executed ok and the e:mail says successful, then change it to whatever time you want.

Not sure if this is what you need.

HTH

Julian

Hi,

After entering the details below for my cron job, the cron job ran but gave the error message at the bottom.

php /home/public_html/googlesitemap/index.php

Error Message:

Content-type: text/html

X-Powered-By: PHP/4.3.11

No input file specified.

I even tried

php /home/googlesitemap/index.php

and

php /public_html/googlesitemap/index.php

and neither worked.

Any ideas on what the problem is?

Thanks

Mark

Lifes a bitch, then you marry one, then you die!

Hello,

Can you help me ?

Warning: fopen(http://www.yourdomaine.com/catalog/sitemapproducts.xml): failed to open stream: HTTP wrapper does not support writeable connections. in /home/domaine/public_html/yourdomaine.com/catalog/googlesitemap/sitemap.class.php on line 287

ERROR: Google Product Sitemap Generation FAILED!

Warning: fopen(http://www.yourdomaine.com/catalog/sitemapcategories.xml): failed to open stream: HTTP wrapper does not support writeable connections. in /home/domaine/public_html/yourdomaine.com/catalog/googlesitemap/sitemap.class.php on line 287

ERROR: Google Category Sitemap Generation FAILED!

Warning: fopen(http://www.yourdomaine.com/catalog/sitemapindex.xml): failed to open stream: HTTP wrapper does not support writeable connections. in /home/domaine/public_html/yourdomaine.com/catalog/googlesitemap/sitemap.class.php on line 287

ERROR: Google Sitemap Index Generation FAILED!

Thanks you for your assistance,

Basalt