• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Rebuilt my site, what do you think now??

enragedcow

Okay, we have done some pretty heavy re-designing, trying to maintain the good functionality of the osCommerce basic install, but get the look away from the "Stock" view. We've changed the colors, most of the graphics, added many contributions, and just tried to finally make it our own.

I know we are missing things though, so if you guys can find anything wrong, please please let me know!

Thanks so much!

Our Site

p.s. You can do test orders if you like, but PLEASE put "TEST" or something in the comments section so I don't try and run them!!

"People tell me I have an inferiority complex. They must be right; after all, they are all smarter than me."

It looks better than it did that is for sure.

I'm too tired to do a thorough run through right now- but I glanced at it and saw 3 things..

1) what I assume is the "explosion" from the tank looks like a fried egg or a deformed boob. :huh: hhahaha

2) the black (dark green??) corner form in the header - which partially goes around the policies and stuff- looks out of place. And the whole thing is a link to your shipping page.

3)in the header "blowing away...." there doesn't look like there's a space between competition and since. it looks like this "competitionsince".

I'll fine tooth comb it later.

Looks better though!

:thumbsup:

I'm too tired to do a thorough run through right now- but  I glanced at it and saw 3 things..

1) what I assume is the "explosion" from the tank looks like a fried egg or a deformed boob.  :huh:  hhahaha

2) the black (dark green??) corner form in the header - which partially goes around the policies and stuff- looks out of place. And the whole thing is a link to your shipping page.

3)in the header "blowing away...." there doesn't look like there's a space between competition and since. it looks like this "competitionsince".

Looks better though!

Hahah I can't beleive I have been looking at that header all this time and didn't notice the seeming lack of space between "competition" and "since". That's hillarious.

The whole header graphic could be changed in general. I like the logo in the left, even it it does look like a tank wrestling with a deformed egg/boob :D The component on the right; I kind of like it, and so have a lot of people I've shown it to. However, I do have to address the link issue. I could slice it up better in Imageready, but I was having issues with horizontal slices and getting the tables to play nice an re-size for different resolutions. So I'm not sure how I'll tackle that yet, but I have to think of something.

Thanks a ton for the feedback. Glad you think it was improved! I do to. I am pretty happy with it now. Sure, it could be better, but I think it's very functional now, looks pretty good, and just works well in general, so I'm a happy man!!

Thanks again! I'll try and address those issues you mentioned, but not until tomorrow... I need sleep right now :thumbsup:

"People tell me I have an inferiority complex. They must be right; after all, they are all smarter than me."

Hahah I can't beleive I have been looking at that header all this time and didn't notice the seeming lack of space between "competition" and "since".  That's hillarious.

The whole header graphic could be changed in general.  I like the logo in the left, even it it does look like a tank wrestling with a deformed egg/boob  :D The component on the right; I kind of like it, and so have a lot of people I've shown it to.  However, I do have to address the link issue.  I could slice it up better in Imageready, but I was having issues with horizontal slices and getting the tables to play nice an re-size for different resolutions.  So I'm not sure how I'll tackle that yet, but I have to think of something.

Thanks a ton for the feedback.  Glad you think it was improved!  I do to.  I am pretty happy with it now.  Sure, it could be better, but I think it's very functional now, looks pretty good, and just works well in general, so I'm a happy man!!

Thanks again!  I'll try and address those issues you mentioned, but not until tomorrow... I need sleep right now  :thumbsup:

I know why you did it but hovering over checkout to be told it will lead to "ram ddr memory..." is very confusing. That goes for many links. if you want to put those alts in there, use your logo or the middle picture in the header.

view all of our products leads to nothing.

you only have US so lose the dropdown.

I am not going to check back soon to see if you have updated your product descriptions, either have it or don't. The message implies "sorry, we are lazy"

and still, like so many, you need to manage your cart quantity entry.

Treasurer MFC

I know why you did it but hovering over checkout to be told it will lead to "ram ddr memory..." is very confusing. That goes for many links. if you want to put those alts in there, use your logo or the middle picture in the header.

view all of our products leads to nothing.

you only have US so lose the dropdown.

I am not going to check back soon to see if you have updated your product descriptions, either have it or don't. The message implies "sorry, we are lazy"

and still, like so many, you need to manage your cart quantity entry.

Forgot about the alt tags showing on hover... I'll fix that!

The all products link is my old version, I just forgot to remove the link. Thanks for catching that!

As far as the descriptions thing... I think having nothing says "lazy" more than what we've got. I realize nobody is actually going to wait so they can check back later, but a blank screen looks worse I think... anyone else have an opinion on the matter?

Finally, I'm not sure what you mean about car quantity?

Thanks!

Forgot about the alt tags showing on hover... I'll fix that!

The all products link is my old version, I just forgot to remove the link.  Thanks for catching that!

As far as the descriptions thing... I think having nothing says "lazy" more than what we've got.  I realize nobody is actually going to wait so they can check back later, but a blank screen looks worse I think... anyone else have an opinion on the matter?

Finally, I'm not sure what you mean about car quantity?

Thanks!

simply copy some text from the manufacturers page, like an abstract and refer to that page for the full story.

the qty at cart means I can enter 99999999999999999999999999 and get all those products for the price of 1. It also screws up your layout, try it.

This is stocj osc behaviour so no fault on your part.

Treasurer MFC

simply copy some text from the manufacturers page, like an abstract and refer to that page for the full story.

the qty at cart means I can enter 99999999999999999999999999 and get all those products for the price of 1. It also screws up your layout, try it.

This is stocj osc behaviour so no fault on your part.

Okay, I get you on the description bit. We'll work on doing something along those lines.

I fixed the non-working all products link as well.

I see what you mean about the cart issue. That's wierd... my questions though are how you would go about stopping this, and why is it realistically all that important? Obviously if somebody puts more than ~30 of something in the cart (it seems to be fine even up to 50 from my test?) then obviously they aren't serious anyway, so should I really care what happens to thier page? Or is it a liability issue that if the total price shows up for really cheap I'm on the hook? I'd think that's not even a huge issue because of the correct per-item price listing on the other pages... but I'm not sure.

Okay, I get you on the description bit.  We'll work on doing something along those lines.

I fixed the non-working all products link as well.

I see what you mean about the cart issue.  That's wierd... my questions though are how you would go about stopping this, and why is it realistically all that important?  Obviously if somebody puts more than ~30 of something in the cart (it seems to be fine even up to 50 from my test?) then obviously they aren't serious anyway, so should I really care what happens to thier page?  Or is it a liability issue that if the total price shows up for really cheap I'm on the hook? I'd think that's not even a huge issue because of the correct per-item price listing on the other pages... but I'm not sure.

not sure about liabilities and all that, for me it just looks sloppy, not taken care of, not finished. again, this is how the stock (not) does it so no offense.

you can put the limit in the field itself or in application_top where the change is executed. personally I use a drop down which does not go beyond my stocklevel of the individual product.

Treasurer MFC

Hello,

just a few ideas:

- really like the 'Useful links' in the middle :)

- you have checkout and my account in the breacrumb AND in your header. I've always found that weird in the stock Os

- I like the picture with the brands in the center, but it is a little frustrating = I tried to click on a brand and...nothing! :) It would be great if the logos were clickable and pointed to the manufacturers in your catalog. I don't know if my behavior is "average", but the picture caught my eye and it's the first thing I tried to click on.

Otherwise you know I'm not a design guru, so the design looks OK to me :)

Regards,

Joseph

Hello,

just a few ideas:

- really like the 'Useful links' in the middle :)

- you have checkout and my account in the breacrumb AND in your header. I've always found that weird in the stock Os

- I like the picture with the brands in the center, but it is a little frustrating = I tried  to click on a brand and...nothing! :) It would be great if the logos were clickable and pointed to the manufacturers in your catalog. I don't know if my behavior is "average", but the picture caught my eye and it's the first thing I tried to click on.

Otherwise you know I'm not a design guru, so the design looks OK to me :)

Regards,

Joseph

Hey, the clicking on the logos bit is a really good idea. I'll drop the logo into imageready and slice her up, and get that working. Good thought!

I also think I'll change the links at the very top right (in my header graphic) to something else, just haven't decided what yet.

Thanks for the feedback!

Okay, I've made all the manufacturer logos in the main splash image clickable, as well as adding some shadows to stand out a bit more.

I fixed the broken links as well.

Any other feedback from anyone? Be brutal! :D

Started to click through your categories and look at the products, and apart from having a very poor description, i also noticed that in the cd rom section, all the drives are cdrw. I hope this is a mistake.

Then clicked on the memory section, and loved it. Time spent adding a good description, will pay for itself in the end.

Some of your policies are a bit short and brief. I dont think that they give the information that i want to read.

My only other concern would be the url. Tank guys does not make me think of computer parts, and the colours of your site, dont make me think high tech. Somebody said this to me about colours being high tech, and i laughed. It is possible, but would alter your site drastically.

I hope that this helps you a bit. It is my opinion, and as we are miles apart, and in the same line of business i dont mind helping you.

If you get any spare time, could you take a look at my site, and rip it apart.

My Webpage

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

Started to click through your categories and look at the products, and apart from having a very poor description, i also noticed that in the cd rom section, all the drives are cdrw.  I hope this is a mistake.

Then clicked on the memory section, and loved it.  Time spent adding a good description, will pay for itself in the end.

Some of your policies are a bit short and brief.  I dont think that they give the information that i want to read.

My only other concern would be the url.  Tank guys does not make me think of computer parts, and the colours of your site, dont make me think high tech.  Somebody said this to me about colours being high tech, and i laughed.  It is possible, but would alter your site drastically.

I hope that this helps you a bit.  It is my opinion, and as we are miles apart, and in the same line of business i dont mind helping you.

If you get any spare time, could you take a look at my site, and rip it apart.

My Webpage

Oh geez, yea the CD / CD-RW categories are a bit messed up. That's definitly a mistake, I'll have to work on that one.

I'll also try and expand abit on the policies. Anything specific you didn't like?

As for you concerns on the colors/URL, you have a point. On the other hand, I think of some of the major parts vendors here in the US, Newegg.com, Tigerdirect.com, zipzoomfly.com, etc... none of those make me think computers at all. What they, and hopefully my name does, is create a very easy to remember, unique, and attention grabbing branding for our store. Aside from that, we liked the name as it will easily let us change our product line down the road if we want, without having to change anything other than some header tags and our product DB. The colors are sort of a faux military-ish scheme, I wanted something that pleased the eye, wasn't overpowering and annoying, and colors that worked well together. I think it fits those bills, but you are right; it doesn't scream "High-tech" at all.

I'll take a look at the other stuff though, and definitely try and adress it tonight! Thanks very much for your time!

I'm too tired to do a thorough run through right now- but  I glanced at it and saw 3 things..

1) what I assume is the "explosion" from the tank looks like a fried egg or a deformed boob.  :huh:  hhahaha

Looks better though!

OKay, I have completely re-worked my header... I still don't like the left side, I'm trying hard to create something new for that but I'm just not hitting inspiration yet. Otherwise, I like the rest of it.

Any other thoughts?

It looks much better than it did, but I agree... too many images with drop shadows. The ones in the header aren't bad but the ones in the middle, well to me it's too much.

Definately much more professional looking now though. Good job.

Wendy James

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

It looks much better than it did, but I agree... too many images with drop shadows. The ones in the header aren't bad but the ones in the middle, well to me it's too much.

Definately much more professional looking now though. Good job.

hmm... funny how I get so many different opinions... my friend/family like the shadow effects everywhere... but I can see the point you guys are making. I'll try and think of some other way to make the manufacturer logos prominent, but perhaps without the shadow effect... I'll see what else I can do!

I realize the "free shipping" cutoff is high, but I had to put it there. Our margin is so miniscule that free shipping under that amount means we lose money on the order (not very good business practice!) but I figured something is better than nothing... it also gave me some decent subject matter for the right side of my header! :D

Thanks again all!

I think the shadow effects are fine on the PICS that lead to your manufacturers, but the shadows on all the WORDS does play with your eyes....

You are still moving in the right direction.

that information is immediately sent via an secure connection to our payment processor,so rest assured your credit information will never be comprised by hackers.

an=a

comprised=compromised

We require an RMA number for all returns. To obtain an RMA number

an=a

(an is only used after words that begin with a vowel)

All of our checkout screens are protected by 128 bit SSL encryption, to ensure your saftey and security.

saftey=safety

If you wish to have a packaged shipped to an alternal address

packaged=package

alternal=alternate

Once the items ships

items ships= item ships OR items ship

You can also look online at anytime

just get rid of the at (online anytime)

That teaching degree is beginning to pay off. :-"

Still think the explosion looks like a deformed boob/egg

I think the shadow effects are fine on the PICS that lead to your manufacturers, but the shadows on all the WORDS does play with your eyes....

You are still moving in the right direction.

an=a

comprised=compromised

an=a

(an is only used after words that begin with a vowel)

saftey=safety

packaged=package

alternal=alternate

items ships= item ships OR items ship

just get rid of the at (online anytime)

That teaching degree is beginning to pay off.  :-"

Still think the explosion looks like a deformed boob/egg

I can't beleive I had all those spelling/grammar mistakes... I'm generally very good about that! Thanks for catching all of them.

I fixed most of them... I wasn't sure on the "a RMA" vs. "an RMA". I was under the impression that "an" was the appropriate word when preceeding an Acronym... or some rule like that. For some reason "an RMA" sounds correct, whereas "a RMA" sounds strange. You might be right; I'm just not sure.

Thanks again for picking that stuff out, if I hadn't fixed them, it would have sounded like a 2nd grade drop-out was running our store :lol:

I think "an RMA" is correct, since the "R" is phonetically "are".

Although I don't have a teaching degree. :-D

typing "an RMA" into google gives more hits than "a RMA", although that still doesn't mean it's correct...

typing "an RMA" into google gives more hits than "a RMA", although that still doesn't mean it's correct...

hahaha you know Google is ridiculously integrated into our lives when we seek it's "all knowing" advice ;)

Hum interesting...

The rule (straight from an old teaching manual) is actually this:

"Use A before words beginning with a CONSONANT SOUND, and AN before words beginning with a VOWEL SOUND"

I guess technically which is correct is really open to interpretation when you look at the "are".. However- I'd still say it's A since R/ARE still SOUNDS like R a consonant.

:wacko:

But who the heck knows really-- and it's not like there is a way of finding out for sure, since no matter where we look in the end it is still a matter of someone's opinion and therefore open to interpretation.

{insert non-existent scratching head smilie here}

Archived