• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Stock Quantity Errors

My products are not quickly replaced for the most part. I grow them myself, so it takes from 4 weeks to a year to replenish stock depending on variety. I entered correct quantities and gave a buffer of 10% more or less to have a few left when each variety sold out. This was before the start of the season. Somehow, I'm overselling most, but not all plants! This is a mad flurry of activity time of year, so I just take some quick looks and manually adjust, but I'm overcompensating because I'm not sure how this is happening. I don't want to be left with plants or disappoint customers if it isn't necessary.

Is anyone else encountering this problem? I have a thought but won't get time to research it until later this year. When my cc processor sends info to me, it includes the products ordered. I'm thinking it registers with the cart and the quantity is removed. When Paypal sends info, there's no product information; just the total. So maybe the products don't get removed from stock on Paypal orders. Maybe not on check/moneyorder sales either?

OK, so I've never done this before and I promise not to do it again but I really think this could matter to folks other than myself. It is very important to me and a cause of some difficulty with customers. Customer satisfaction must be paramount! So, since this has faded down to the lower pages (rarely seen) I'm bumping it up. I know this is frowned upon and may be dropped, but I have to try.

My products are not quickly replaced for the most part. I grow them myself, so it takes from 4 weeks to a year to replenish stock depending on variety. I entered correct quantities and gave a buffer of 10% more or less to have a few left when each variety sold out. This was before the start of the season. Somehow, I'm overselling most, but not all plants! This is a mad flurry of activity time of year, so I just take some quick looks and manually adjust, but I'm overcompensating because I'm not sure how this is happening. I don't want to be left with plants or disappoint customers if it isn't necessary.

Is anyone else encountering this problem? I have a thought but won't get time to research it until later this year. When my cc processor sends info to me, it includes the products ordered. I'm thinking it registers with the cart and the quantity is removed. When Paypal sends info, there's no product information; just the total. So maybe the products don't get removed from stock on Paypal orders. Maybe not on check/moneyorder sales either?

why not run a paypal and/or money order thru yourself and check ?

Treasurer MFC

Yes, that was a bit lazy of me regarding the check/moneyorder thing. I did run an order that way since and it worked fine. When I deleted the order, the stock was returned properly. That leaves Paypal. I can't send myself money according to Paypal. I'd have to set up a dummy account or something.

OK, my laziness and hasty judgement are here knocking on my door. I got a friend to use Paypal to place an order and the inventory was reduced just fine after the order.

So, the question has changed slightly but the mystery remains. I know it isn't theft from the nursery property itself. I'd notice that. There's definitely something going wrong in the software. My concern is that it may be in the contributions I've added and backtracking through all of them would be a nightmare.

So, does anyone have stock quantity issues? Did they find the culprit? Any help would be appreciated.

Archived