• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Ready to go Live!, finally finished, I think?

ksaun

First, I would like to thank Jenny aka Jumping Rabbit for all the help, if it were not for all the help she provided I would never have been able to finish this site. :D

Also thanks to everyone else that helped along the way :thumbsup:

Please review my site and don't hold back I want feedback and lots of it.

So here ya go, what do you really think?? :-"

My Webpage

My Favorite Quote from a movie.

Question: How do you know women sooo well?

Answer: I think of a man, then take away reason and accountability.

Ok, I just have to comment on this! Why is the guy on your About Us page giving me the finger?

On your faq page: " Can I order by check? Yes. Please print the order details from the Check Out Page after you fill in your address information."

Isn't there a contrib for checks and money orders? I don't know if it would help make things easier for the customer, but might be worth checking out.

You might want to take out " 60434 requests since Friday 16 April, 2004".

Paypal verified button doesn't click to show your Paypal verification. And isn't that supposed to be the paypal verified Seal?

I like that you have a 800 number prominently displayed.

In your advanced Search, there are unrelated DOB strings in the Date To and the Date From text fields.

Hope some of this helps.

Thanks for taking the time to review my site :thumbsup:

Ok, I just have to comment on this! Why is the guy on your About Us page giving me the finger?

I think you may have a had a few to many beers, if you are seeing him give you the finger then maybe you should seek help :P

On your faq page: " Can I order by check? Yes. Please print the order details from the Check Out Page after you fill in your address information."

Isn't there a contrib for checks and money orders? I don't know if it would help make things easier for the customer, but might be worth checking out.

I'll check into it :thumbsup:

Paypal verified button doesn't click to show your Paypal verification. And isn't that supposed to be the paypal verified Seal?

The seal I use came from Paypal so I assume its ok to use, not everyone wants that big ugly gold thing on their site. Clicking through to the verification on paypal was not something I wanted to do, because it would take them away from my site. The idea is to keep them here not send them away :blush:

In your advanced Search, there are unrelated DOB strings in the Date To and the Date From text fields.

Thanks, forgot about that, going to take the date field out all together, I don't need it.

Thanks Again :thumbsup:

Anybody else have anything for me? :huh:

OK, nice site, just a few pointers:

1 - Your home page (as with SOOOOOO many other osc sites) has NO text for spiders to feast upon. I assume that at some point your aim would be to rank #1 or thereabouts on the majore search engines for "toner cartridges" or "printer refills" etc. etc. - with no text in place, you wont get any ranking......

2 - top 10 reasons to buy from us - cool idea. Shame is when I click it I get a scary looking page crammed with text - you may or may not need all of this, but some formatting and a couple of eye pleasing pictures might make me more willing to actually read it. Also might be an idea to put this as a pop up rather than take me away from the product I'm looking at...?

3 - nice clean layout - but do you need both left and right columns? The vast majority of your pages continue "beyond the fold" and by losing a column your text and layout could be more pleasing to the eye....or not, just an idea to put in your head!

4 - you have no terms and conditions. This is the firts thing I look for before ordering from any given site. Whilst you do have a privacy notice and warranty which probably covers all of this, it may pay you to add an extra page for the sake of a slightly better conversion rate

5 - you have many images missing from products - whilst im not 100% sure whteher people need a picture of a toner cartridge, this does make the site look like its still "under development".....

6 - is it necessary to show the product weight in the category pages?

7 - your virtually invisible to search engines in many ways. Every page has the exact same meta tags and titles and the text does not enhance your chances of search engine positioning. As this would provide a free source of visitors, it is well worth looking into. You also have no Google page rank, and only 2 inbound links according to Google. A little work on this would reap huge rewards for you. Take a look at: Ultimate SEO url's The millions of meta tag contribs available Chemos invaluable seo guide and do a search for free directory listings and take a couple of days with some good submissions. Those four things will probably cost you about 4 days and catapult your stores traffic more than any single project you could undertake which would cost you hard earned cash....

Good clean store though, well done!

Please note - if I have suggested a contrib above, it doesnt mean it will work! Most of the contribs are not ones I've used, but may be useful for your particular problem....

Have you tried a refined search? Chances are your problem has already been dealt with elsewhere on the forums.....

if (stumped == true) {

return(square_one($start_over)

} else {

$random_query = tep_fetch_answer($forum_query)

}

Thanks for reviewing my site :thumbsup:

1 - Your home page (as with SOOOOOO many other osc sites) has NO text for spiders to feast upon. I assume that at some point your aim would be to rank #1 or thereabouts on the majore search engines for "toner cartridges" or "printer refills" etc. etc. - with no text in place, you wont get any ranking......
Good point but how do I incorporate the text necessary to get listed and still have the look and feel I have now?

2 - top 10 reasons to buy from us - cool idea. Shame is when I click it I get a scary looking page crammed with text - you may or may not need all of this, but some formatting and a couple of eye pleasing pictures might make me more willing to actually read it. Also might be an idea to put this as a pop up rather than take me away from the product I'm looking at...?

I like the pop-up idea, how do I do that? :huh:

3 - nice clean layout - but do you need both left and right columns? The vast majority of your pages continue "beyond the fold" and by losing a column your text and layout could be more pleasing to the eye....or not, just an idea to put in your head!

I like that layout as is :thumbsup:

4 - you have no terms and conditions. This is the firts thing I look for before ordering from any given site. Whilst you do have a privacy notice and warranty which probably covers all of this, it may pay you to add an extra page for the sake of a slightly better conversion rate

I specifically set it up the way I have it to make it very easy for a client to find exactly what they are looking for instead of sifting through one huge file that has everything in it. :blush:

5 - you have many images missing from products - whilst im not 100% sure whteher people need a picture of a toner cartridge, this does make the site look like its still "under development".....

By my count I have 49 cartridges out of 892 that don't have the proper picture, that doesn't seem like alot to me. Now the reason i don't have the correct picture for the 49 cartridges is there are no pictures for those cartridges available. :P

6 - is it necessary to show the product weight in the category pages?

Not really, just something I left in :blink:

7 - your virtually invisible to search engines in many ways. Every page has the exact same meta tags and titles and the text does not enhance your chances of search engine positioning. As this would provide a free source of visitors, it is well worth looking into. You also have no Google page rank, and only 2 inbound links according to Google. A little work on this would reap huge rewards for you. Take a look at: Ultimate SEO url's The millions of meta tag contribs available Chemos invaluable seo guide and do a search for free directory listings and take a couple of days with some good submissions. Those four things will probably cost you about 4 days and catapult your stores traffic more than any single project you could undertake which would cost you hard earned cash....

I agree, I kinda did that on purpose, I wanted to get the design and functionality of the site just the way I wanted it. Then I thought I would work on making it search engine friendly. I have a company writing me some text for each manufacturer of cartridge that I will be placing at the top of the product pages and the product lists.

Thanks for all the links, I will use them all.

Thanks Again for reviewing my site :thumbsup:

Who is next?? :blush:

Hi Keith,

Nice to see you made good use of our pm conversations.... :D

As for meta tags, mandatory....go for this one..

cDynamic Meta Tags v1.0

If you feel that you need seo urls, use this one...

Ultimate SEO URLs

Your site is looking much better now.

Actually you can try to add seo friendly text to the front page, but its actually more easy to optimize sub pages/categories to narrower key-words.

And, i have also seen some contibutions for money orders and checks, so i would advice a treasure hunt through the contributions.... :lol:

Keith,

My compliments on a nice, clean store! Easy to navigate and find what one is looking for.

A few comments:

1) On your FAQ page there is a "\" that doesn't belong in this section:

Does the manufacturer recommend compatible cartridges?  They don\?t necessarily recommend

2) I had to search hard to find your company address (finally found it at the bottom of the returns section and in your privacy policy). I would suggest putting it on your About Us page and also on the Contact Us form. I believe consumers put more trust in a site that is not afraid to display their address.

3) On your Contact Us form - you might want to change "Enquiry" to "Inquiry" since you are based in the US.

4) Privacy policy - under item #5 it looks like name of store was supposed to be inserted but wasn't -

working on behalf of [~ name of us and under

You've done a great job with keeping it uncluttered and I was glad to see that you spent some time writing the FAQ's, shipping, warranty, etc. :thumbsup: So many sites don't give much information but information is what people want before deciding to purchase for the first time.

I wish you much success with your store!

Karen

Hi Keith,

Nice to see you made good use of our pm conversations....  :D

As for meta tags, mandatory....go for this one..

cDynamic Meta Tags v1.0

If you feel that you need seo urls, use this one...

Ultimate SEO URLs

Your site is looking much better now.

Actually you can try to add seo friendly text to the front page, but its actually more easy to optimize sub pages/categories to narrower key-words.

And, i have also seen some contibutions for money orders and checks, so i would advice a treasure hunt through the contributions.... :lol:

Any guidelines I should follow whan adding the text to the sub pages? :blush:

I will be making the other changes that you and other suggested over the next week.

Thanks Again for your help :thumbsup:

Keith,

My compliments on a nice, clean store! Easy to navigate and find what one is looking for.

A few comments:

1) On your FAQ page there is a "\" that doesn't belong in this section:

2) I had to search hard to find your company address (finally found it at the bottom of the returns section and in your privacy policy). I would suggest putting it on your About Us page and also on the Contact Us form. I believe consumers put more trust in a site that is not afraid to display their address.

3) On your Contact Us form - you might want to change "Enquiry" to "Inquiry" since you are based in the US. 

4) Privacy policy - under item #5 it looks like name of store was supposed to be inserted but wasn't -

You've done a great job with keeping it uncluttered and I was glad to see that you spent some time writing the FAQ's, shipping, warranty, etc.    :thumbsup:    So many sites don't give much information but information is what people want before deciding to purchase for the first time.

I wish you much success with your store!

Karen

Thanks for reviewing the site in such detail. :thumbsup:

I must have read through those things 50 times and missed that stuff, Thanks :D

Any guidelines I should follow whan adding the text to the sub pages? :blush: 

I will be making the other changes that you and other suggested over the next week.

Thanks Again for your help :thumbsup:

As for seo and text, here is a nice place to gather info and tips seochat

You've done a fairly good job so far...

However, I'm a stickler for details, so here goes:

Your header bar and footer bar are 2 or 3 pixels too wide and don't line up properly. Only a small amount, but enough to seriously niggle me.

The top of your shopping cart doesn't line up with your "featured Products" box

or the right edge of the picture above it (by 1 or 2 pixels)

The "go"button in your search box is badly mis-aligned.

Advanced search pop up help still has default text in it.

Date from/to in advanced search has DOB_FORMAT_STRING in them when I enter screen???

Contact us needs address/phone, and why does the "continue" button have a white halo around it? (on the login screen, too)

(and the "back" button on the PWD forgotten screen)

(and your "buy now" buttons)

There are others that could do with "cropping", too.

Remove the "number of requests" in your footer.

I don't like the way you are going against convention in your category list with the text coloring - normally "blue" is used for clickable links - your hyperlink is grey and turns light blue on hover. You might want to consider revising this.

The hover color of the headings in this section also needs to be changed - you can't read it when you hover.

Why do I need a password to checkout?

You're not sneakily creating an account for me in the background, are you? ;-)

I would change "Apt / Suite:" in the address to a more generic "Address Line 2" or similar.

Your images are badly pixellated (although I guess with the items you are selling, this is not so important). Hey, who needs a good quality thumbnail of a toner cartridge, right? ;-)

I clicked on the "Top ten reasons to buy from us" from the cart, then "continue" at the bottom, expecting to be taken back to the product page, yet I was dumped back to the home page...

Do you really need "Tell a Friend"?

I can see it now ... "Hey, Bill, check out this _really_ cool toner cartridge I've found over at tonerjunction"

Not having a go at what you are selling, but do you really think it is useful?

Your "all products" page is pretty worthless (to a user) as is - some sort of index on first character would improve it, I'm not going to scroll through 900 products

Your cart quantities need validating - I can buy 6545665545646546456564 of Epsom 7000 cartridge for $9.68. Cheers!

Consider an SEO URL contribution.

Your page titles are also all the same (<title></title> tags) - this is crucually important in SE rankings. Consider a header/meta tags contrib.

Your "Product not found" page could be made a bit more user friendly. and the top box is butted right up to the top which looks bad.

You could also do with a custom 404 page rather than the unprofessional default that I get if I deliberately enter a wrong URL.

Move your entire store into the root, thus losing the unneccessary /catalog/ in your URL.

Think that'll do for now. You still have a bit of work to do I think.

Nobody is probably going to read this, but what on earth does this mean?

Quote:

Personal information that you provide that is not Personally Identifiable Information also resides on a secure server and is only accessible via password. Since this information is not accessible from outside our company you will not be asked to select a password in order to view or modify such information.

And this:

You should also be aware that when Personally Identifiable Information is voluntarily disclosed (i.e. your name, email address, etc.) in the discussion forums or other public areas on this site, that information, along with any information disclosed in your communication, can be collected and used by third parties and may result in unsolicited messages from third parties. Such activities are beyond our control and this Policy does not apply to such information. Any submissions to chat rooms or other public areas on this site are accepted with the understanding that they are accessible to all third parties. If you do not want your comments to be viewed by third parties, you are advised not to make any submissions. Ultimately, you are solely responsible for maintaining the secrecy of your password and/or account information. Please be careful and responsible whenever you're online.

Do you have (or intend to have) public areas or discussion forums? If not, it appears as though you just cribbed this from another site...

Also, you use the phrase "Personally Identifiable Information" a billion times on this page...

As for seo and text, here is a nice place to gather info and tips seochat

Thanks I'll check it out :thumbsup:

Archived