• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Relative vs. Absolute URL

smahaffey

:'( Well Im new to this so bare with me. I have successfully gotten OsCommerce set up on Win2K/IIS5/PHP4.11?and MySQL4.0.24<- after reading hte 4.1 and php 5.0 problems in the the threads here. I now have a problem with the server returning absolute URL paths when it is accessed fromthe internet. I.E, whenever you go to the test site, which is in my basement AND is not associated with a real domain name just an IP address, the server returns links such as... http://fileserver/advanced_search.phposCsi...659f32437e7c958 . Now this is fine,inside on my network since I can get to Fileserver. But from the internet there is no DNS associated with fileserver etc. Is this PHP retuning the links in this fason or is this the way OsC was written. If not is there an easy way to correct this without buying a domain name yet?

Thanks!

That's the path to the site on your computer. If you had a domain name, www.mysite.com, then that would replace fileserver. If i create a test shop on my server, the address is http://girffon..., where girffon is the server name. But there is no dns entry to it as you state. So if you want an actual name there, you would have to purchase ione and set it up as normal.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

That's the path to the site on your computer. If you had a domain name, www.mysite.com, then that would replace fileserver. If i create a test shop on my server, the address is http://girffon..., where girffon is the server name. But there is no dns entry to it as you state.  So if you want an actual name there, you would have to purchase ione and set it up as normal. 

Jack

Thats what I was afraid of. I found the config.php file that I need to edit so that I can either view internally or externally. Is there a way that I can set this up so that I can view this via my internall / privat IP AND via an external public one without buyind the domain name yet. I have a long way to go with this before its ready so I really do not want to go purchase a DN as of yet.

Thanks

You can view a sie on the web without having a domain for it. I'm not sure about viwing one setup on your computer though, never having tried that. But if you do manage to do it, I would think it would be one big security hole. Why not signup for a free domain and test it that way?

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Archived