• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Battery site

DAVID3733

I have tried to post this site a couple of times, Hopefully this one will be successful.

The sitemy batterysales website is my first real attempt at oscommerce, although I played with a stock site first to try to familerize myself.

There are a number of contributions installed, some easier than others, I am insterested in peoples view of the site, especially the speed etc.

The site is live but there no direct module attached for credit card payment, so please be careful

I have spent a lot of time on it , including SEO, I am on froogle, listed and indexed on MSN listed but not fully indexed on google and yahoo.

any comments would be appreciated, its hard being objective when you constantly look at your own website

David

David

Have had a very brief look at your site and what i have found

I cannot find your name and addres anywhere. It may be there, but its not that prominant. Myself and a lot of other people wont buy if they have no other way than email of contacting you.

In your informatioin files i dont like the pages of plain text. They need some form of formatting. A paragraph would be nice. I dont read pages of text, and nor will many other people, unless its made exciting for them.

Unles you plan to send me a birthday card, remove the un necessary information from your create account page.

For some reason the bottom of the page goes out of alignment on this page

https://www.batterytrader.com/login.php?osC...a4647ef55826ac3

On your front page i find all the part numbers annoying. I know they have got to be there, but i think that its just the way they are layed out. It would be better if they were in multiple columns and numerical/alphabetical order. Anything really to made it more pleasant on the eyes and easier to read.

Hows that for now. When time allows i will have another look.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

Have had a very brief look at your site and what i have found

I cannot find your name and addres anywhere.  It may be there, but its not that prominant.  Myself and a lot of other people wont buy if they have no other way than email of contacting you.

In your informatioin files i dont like the pages of plain text.  They need some form of formatting.  A paragraph would be nice.  I dont read pages of text, and nor will many other people, unless its made exciting for them.

Unles you plan to send me a birthday card, remove the un necessary information from your create account page. 

On your front page i find all the part numbers annoying.  I know they have got to be there, but i think that its just the way they are layed out.  It would be better if they were in multiple columns and numerical/alphabetical order.  Anything really to made it more pleasant on the eyes and easier to read.

Hows that for now.  When time allows i will have another look.

Thanks steve some very valid points, looks like I have a busy weekend ahead of me

David

Quote:

Welcome to our Website, If we do not have your battery requirements please email us.

No - I'd go somewhere else, and so would everybody else...

What is your search box doing there? Looks horrible.

Secure login - when I press this, why is there a "Proceed to Checkout" option - my cart is empty...

You are suffering from the nasty "white block" around your images in your what's new box.

Your "short" product descriptions are too long - do you really need all those codes in there?

Make gender/DOB optional or remove altogether.

Your "privacy" notice isn't.

You are basically saying that you have the right to share my information with anybody at any time.

FAQ popup? Nasty.

I thought link sharing went out in the 90's?

That'll do for now. Good luck.

I have tidied up the

privacy notice (and reworded it)

shipping and returns

conditions of use

and added our contact details to the contacts page

and working on the rest

David

fixed the problem with

I am not a coder so it takes me a little longer

Are Reciprical links not the done thing? I only put them in because I am trying to get links in to get a PR which at the moment I do not have

David

You may want to break your text here

the lines are too long and force the page to extend its width - it breaks the layout of your header

Also you have top and catalog in your breadcrumb, pointing the the same page - you could cancel the 'top' and rename 'catalog' to 'home' or whatever

Regards,

Joseph

You may want to break your text here

the lines are too long and force the page to extend its width - it breaks the layout of your header

I cannot see what you mean - I am using Ie 6

Also you have top and catalog in your breadcrumb, pointing the the same page - you could cancel the 'top' and rename 'catalog' to 'home' or whatever

Regards,

Joseph

Like that one, would never have seen it any one else wants to know how its done see post

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?sho...ndpost&p=617676

Thank you

David

IMO reciprocal links lower the "quality" rating of a site.

There are better ways to boost your PR like paid advertising, google adwords, listing with free directories DMOZ etc.

MMMMMmmmmm

After some more research I have deleted this section, the last thing I want to do is harm any pending PR although it appears its more effected with Yahoo than google, or so I have read

FAQ popup? Nasty.

because it goes to a blank page or that its not integral to the mother site?

David

Sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear enough.

The "quality" rating I mentioned is not anything to do with SE ranking, I was merely referring to what might be a user's perceived quality of the site.

Leaving them in won't harm your SE ranking as long as you get _relevant_ links.

I know if I go to a site with a link exchange I think "what's wrong with the site that they need to do that?"

The reasons I have the codes in the short description are as follows:

one battery can cover many models

More importantly one battery can cover many makes

I understand that the higher up a page keywords are put the easier it gets searched/ indexed

To be honest I would rather have the same battery listed seperatly under different makes with slightly different desriptions so i can promote SEO seperately, but you cannot ( as far as I know) link the battery for stock control etc.

unless of course someone can tell me I am mistaken with the above statements?

David

David

• 5 months later...

It seems very flat to me. I like sites with depth. Adding some shading along the edges would help it out a lot.

Please use the forums for support! I am happy to help you here, but I am unable to offer free technical support over instant messenger or e-mail.

Archived