• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

How to Keep Search Engine Rank for Store Upgrade

kennethc

Dear Community,

We are in the process of upgrading to a newer version of OSCommerce. The upgrade is installed into a seperate folder on the same site, that is, the current shop is in /shop/, the new one in /lshop/. It also has it's own database. The reason for this is that we can't have even a moment of down time, and I need to be able to manually configure the new store.

We have been running of our particular store since 2003 and we have excellent search engine rank on Google, MSN, etc..

I need advice on how to proceed while keeping our search engine rankings in-tact. If anything, I am going to submit this "side" store to the search engines, and put a "prelaunch" banner on the store so that people visit our original store. This way the engines can hit the store and once the rank is as good for that store, make the switch, and throw a redirect on the original.

However, management isn't happy about that and wants a way to be able to keep our rankings as is in-tact.

Any help will be tremendously appreciated.

Thank you,

Ken

Well, first of all I'd think that you should be able to move your new shop to /shop without having much downtime, maybe just a minute or two. Basically, all it will involve is renaming the two direcotries, and making a couple changes in the configuration files.

Short of that, if the URL isn't exactly the same, you may not ever recoup 100% of your rankings, because all of your backlinks will have to go through a redirect.

If you do decide to use a redirect, make sure it's a 301 redirect, and that you put a prominent link to your new site on your old site. That will help.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

Archived