• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Update Inventory Levels

richhoward

Do you guys know how I can easily go about connecting through an ODBC connection to another sql database and passing along the model number to grab the inventory level and then go back into the oscommerce mysql database and update the inventory level? Is there a statement you guys know that can do this? Is there a contribution? I will be needing to run this about 4 times a day.

Thanks alot for your help ahead a time!

Do you guys know how I can easily go about connecting through an ODBC connection to another sql database and passing along the model number to grab the inventory level and then go back into the oscommerce mysql database and update the inventory level? Is there a statement you guys know that can do this? Is there a contribution? I will be needing to run this about 4 times a day.

Thanks alot for your help ahead a time!

depends on how knowledgeable you are with MS Access. If you are good with Access, won't be much of a problem, if not, Oh Well :huh:

GEOTEX from Houston, TX

(George)

I am very familiar with Access, can you provide more information please?

your knowledge of Access probably exceeds mine, as mainly have worked with mySQL and earlier work with Paradox.

Basically, install the odbc driver from mySQL. This will provide the links to access. Whatever you are exporting from, MSSQL? you probably have the odbc drivers.

Import into Access, then export the data to mySQL. Watch for your table links. On products, you are mainly dealing with 2 tables, products and products_description. If you are only interested in quantities, you will be only dealing with one field in table.products. Should not be a problem in transfering data that is only one table dependent.

Since you stated you want to transfer from one sql data base to another. take a look at adodb. This is a class that supports many different sql data bases and may allow you to write a php or python script to directly pull from your ms, oracle or whatever, creating a temporary delimited text file that you can load directly to mySQL. If you can accomplish that, it would be a whole lot quicker than doing the transfer with Access and using ODBC. If your database is not supported in adodb, it will use ODBC to transfer what it doesn't call directly.

heres a link to start you off http://adodb.sourceforge.net/

GEOTEX from Houston, TX

(George)

We'll the OSCommerce module is on a Windows Server 2003, Apache, MySQL server. The data is actually on an IBM AS/400 V5R3 in sql. So therefore I need to figure out how to go to the AS/400 via sql and pass along the right model numbers from the products I have on the website and go get the inventory levels and then bring them back and update them on the oscommerce server. Does this give you any better insight on our problem?

George provided the correct information.... use ODBC.

Another place to get the "MySQL connectors" is http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/connector/odbc

There may be other solutions, however your goal is to figure out how to get your AS400 to connect to *any* other database. (Hint... use one of the links provided.)

If business rules prevent you from using a "live" link between the databases, you can always output the data to a csv file for import with the Easy Populate contribution.

HTH,

Robert

Archived