• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Why do people....

Place google ads in thier stores? I can understand promoting certain items that you carry and what not. but why would you want to promote other stores in your store? That just doesnt make sense. I cant imagine throwing away a $100 sale for 7 cents. Can someone explain the purpose of that.

Well right or wrong I can say I do it for this reason, if I get someone to my store and they don't see what they want maybe they will click on a Google ad and I get something (I have received up to 90 cents for a click). I know when I am looking at sites I do that, I pay little attention to ad's unless I don't find what I want.

Not sure of any real issues with doing this, maybe if I get my sales pitches better I can remove them :D

The way of life, and the way we work for you.

Place google ads in thier stores? I can understand promoting certain items that you carry and what not. but why would you want to promote other stores  in your store? That just doesnt make sense. I cant imagine throwing away a $100 sale for 7 cents. Can someone explain the purpose of that.

If you are selling a plate, for example, for $10 and every site in the adsense ads are selling the same plate for $15, it is very good advertising for your site. The trick is to filter the ads so that the wrong competition is not displayed.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Im not talking about actually advertising with it. Im more of less talking about using it on in your store to generate income from pay per clicks. I just dont know if i could justfiy losing a sale over a couple of cents. Cause what ends up happening is your customer gets lost in the the banners from site to site and end up forgeting the orginal site you went to. Its called eye candy.

I mean you dont go into your local electronic store and see flyers of your competitors hanging in their store. Granted you can fliter certain sites but that really doesnt make of a difference unless you know exactly what channels to filter and most of the ads are generated of relative indexes from the page it resides.

I have to agree with Jenn, i have never been able to fanthom the thought or logic behind putting adsense advertaizment in your web shop. It draws attention away from your products and might lead a potential cutomer astray, never to be heard or seen again.

I think it depends on what you are selling. If you are selling toy cars, for example, maybe you'd want to allow advertisements for hobbyist magazines.

If you sell camping equipment, perhaps you want to allow adverts for guns or sports supplies.

I don't use them personally, but I can see how it could be beneficial, provided the filtering is granular enough, to allow adverts for complementary products.

-jared

Oh know i agree with that and can understand doing that. I personally dont use them ether. I do the affliate program with products because the ads are much nicer and full color.

What gets me that is i have seen stores running ads on thier shops that advertise other stores and sale prices. I can quite understand the notion of that.

• 2 weeks later...
I dont see how this is "Marketing" related but ok???

I use google ads on my page:

1. I compared the prices of all my products with all the others who sell my products and since i offer the best prices, i do not fear the competition. It is actually a free advertisement since customers see that my site is cheaper.

2. If a customer does not find want he's looking for, he can click on a google-ad, he finds what he wants and i get paid for it. :rolleyes:

HIM - Dark Light - Out on 26/09/05

I use google ads on my page:

1. I compared the prices of all my products with all the others who sell my products and since i offer the best prices, i do not fear the competition. It is actually a free advertisement since customers see that my site is cheaper.

2. If a customer does not find want he's looking for, he can click on a google-ad, he finds what he wants and i get paid for it.  :rolleyes:

Yea, you have a point, but customers don't always act rationally (appologies to my old Econ prof! :D ) so price alone won't always determine where they buy.

Having ads for your competition on your site seems like it would have 2 serious drawbacks. First, it decreses your validity (at least in my mind) and it seems like you are relying on ads because your core business isn't enough. Secondly, just having those ads, that raises your customer's awareness of the other stores. Is that a good idea? I mean, if you make $5 on a sale, or $0.10 for an adsense click, where is the real benefit for you? If just one out of every 50 clicks away from your store costs you sale, you've lost.

I considered the adsense thing, then considered those thoughts, and changed my mind. I don't know, maybe it works great, but I'd be leary myself.

"People tell me I have an inferiority complex. They must be right; after all, they are all smarter than me."

First off,

I avoid OSC stores like the plague. I know how easy they are to setup and that any average Joe (like me) can start up a store without any problems :-).

But when I see an OSC store that has ADwords on it, I wouldn't stay at that store for 3 seconds. Why store owners do that is beyond my comprehension! Make money selling your merchandise, if you can't make money from that, find something else to sell, or another market to get into. Putting adwords on your site only prolongs the running of a site that doesn't make any money :-)

Jud

Leaving my personal opinion about your comments aside, how do you connect "easy to setup" with "avoid OSC [sic] stores like the plague" ?

Maybe you're just trolling.

-jared

In my own store, each visitor is worth about $.50 to me. (Approx. $1200 profit last month divided by 2400 visitors.) So, if I assume that people who click ads on my site will NOT have any chance of buying from me, I'd need to earn $.50 a click to "break even." Not likely to happen in my business, so I go ad-less.

But, if I could make almost a dollar per click? If the ads were filtered so that my direct competition wouldn't appear? If I had good reason to believe that the people who click on my ads are the people who wouldn't be buying from me anyway? That would be a different story...

Leaving my personal opinion about your comments aside, how do you connect "easy to setup" with "avoid OSC [sic] stores like the plague" ?

Maybe you're just trolling. 

-jared

haha, I guess the humor didn't quite carry through. I was just kidding, well for the most part. I do have a hard time buying from osCommerce stores that just have the stock setup, and nothing else. But for the most part I like to support my fellow oscommerce'ers ...

Jud

Archived