• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Break it down now...

moonbeam

I beg for answers.

Someone please point me in the right direction concerning header tags.

Say I am selling socks at smellystuff.com.

Now, we go to my index page...And look at the header tags.

Title...: Socks

Description...: Get your smelly socks here!

Keywords...:blue socks, red socks, new socks, old socks, dirty socks

Is this right?

I am having trouble figuring out what should go where.

1. Title should be the main idea of the page?

2. Description should describe the title?

3. Keywords should be the contents or what is offered on that page?

I may be totally off here...Please clarify

Always greatful,

Moon

"Woohoo, Just Havin Funnn!"

I beg for answers.

Is this right?

Always greatful,

Moon

You are right

keywords where possible should be entered in natural language style in all three fields - but don't overdo it - I have seen descriptions that stretch the limits many times - and guess what SE's don't like it !

Also in the *bad* old days of the Internet when Meta Tags were so much more used than they are now - webmasters keyword spammed description and keywords hence the decline in importance of these fields for various SE's

Charles

A kite flies highest AGAINST the wind !

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a lover in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ~ WOO HOO!! What a ride!"

I beg for answers.

Is this right?

Always greatful,

Moon

If you want the tags to be for search engine optomisation then concentrate on the title tag. By all means put stuff in the other meta tags but they aren't important.

Having a title tag of "socks" is obviously good for a page selling socks, but i would probably put some more words in for good old google to see. Don't go overboard 4 or 5 will do.

Matt

If you want the tags to be for search engine optomisation then concentrate on the title tag.? By all means put stuff in the other meta tags but they aren't important.?

Having a title tag of "socks" is obviously good for a page selling socks, but i would probably put some more words in for good old google to see.? Don't go overboard 4 or 5 will do.

Matt

So keywords aren't important?

I should put (colorful smelly socks) as a title tag? Is this what you suggest?

Thanks for your response.

If you believe those are good keywords for your products then yes.

My point being, you would do well for someone searching for "colorful smelly socks" - but im not convinced that people would be searching for that.

If you believe those are good keywords for your products then yes.

My point being, you would do well for someone searching for "colorful smelly socks" - but im not convinced that people would be searching for that.

I'm sure they are out there!

No... I just used that as an easy to understand example.

So put my keywords in my title tag with the title.

Got it,

Thanks

What about pages like conditions, shipping, and contact us. Should I block those pages from being crawled? They don't offer anything to the search world. Would'nt they be seen as unimportant information? Would that hurt my ranking?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm just trying to get a good grasp on all of this.

Thanks,

Moon

You should use different keywords and a new title for all your index/follow php pages.

Try to use two keywords in you title and your site name.

My site title goes like this Baby clothes - mysitename - baby shoes

but leave out the .co and www bits.

What about pages like conditions, shipping, and contact us. Should I block those pages from being crawled? They don't offer anything to the search world. Would'nt they be seen as unimportant information? Would that hurt my ranking?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm just trying to get a good grasp on all of this.

Thanks,

Moon

All of your pages should be available to the search engines. Each page should have a unique title. The title of that page should also be the first keyword you use in the meta keyword. The meta description should contain the keyword in a regular english sentence. The text on the page should contain the keyword. On pages like Contact Us, you need to view it as an opportunity to sell your site. Let the title be Contact us about Socks and on the contact us page, add a paragraph about contacting you with regards to socks. The idea is to get as many pages as you can indexed. If each of those pages targets a particualr keyword, you increase the chances of someone finding you. If they show up on your contact us page, who cares. If they are interested in your product, they will be able to figure out that they need to click on the Home link to see useful information.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

All of your pages should be available to the search engines.  Each page should have a unique title. The title of that page should also be the first keyword you use in the meta keyword. The meta description should contain the keyword in a regular english sentence.  The text on the page should contain the keyword. On pages like Contact Us, you need to view it as an opportunity to sell your site. Let the title be Contact us about Socks and on the contact us page, add a paragraph about contacting you with regards to socks. The idea is to get as many pages as you can indexed. If each of those pages targets a particualr keyword, you increase the chances of someone finding you.  If they show up on your contact us page, who cares. If they are interested in your product, they will be able to figure out that they need to click on the Home link to see useful information. 

Jack

Thanks to everyone for your input!

Finally, I feel confident to proceed. Jack you really made it clear. I struggled with understanding this for weeks now.

Always greatful,

Moon

Archived