• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

SEO differences between root and /catalog

I have installed my shop in the /catalog directory, and submitted my ROOT site to many link directories

on the root site i have a redirecting page (with the standard redirect meta tag)

well, my site's been up for a month and apparently no search engine crawled it yet (pagerank says N/A), while my redirecting page has a pagerank of 0

now i'm wondering, am i ever going to get any pagerank on the /catalog, or do search engines just stop at the redirecting page?? I've read that the redirect meta tag should not be used as google bans those pages...

if that's the case, what's a painless solution to have my shop open with www.mydomain.com instead of www.mydomain.com/catalog ???

It's pretty silly to put keyword tags and use SEO optimizing contributions when SEs don't even crawl your site because of a lame directory :PPP

I have installed my shop in the /catalog directory, and submitted my ROOT site to many link directories

on the root site i have a redirecting page (with the standard redirect meta tag)

well, my site's been up for a month and apparently no search engine crawled it yet (pagerank says N/A), while my redirecting page has a pagerank of 0

now i'm wondering, am i ever going to get any pagerank on the /catalog, or do search engines just stop at the redirecting page?? I've read that the redirect meta tag should not be used as google bans those pages...

if that's the case, what's a painless solution to have my shop open with www.mydomain.com instead of www.mydomain.com/catalog ???

It's pretty silly to put keyword tags and use SEO optimizing contributions when SEs don't even crawl your site because of a lame directory :PPP

Shops in Catalog DO get crawled and DO get PR - it takes time - there are a number of ways to try and speed up the indexing cycle - we can discuss those if interested

As for meta redirects - CORRECT - if you are redirecting permanently as you would appear to be doing - use 301 redirects instead - Meta redirects are often used by blackhatters and so good search engines will discount them.

To move your shop to root WITHOUT using a 301 redirect - just move EVERYTHING below catalog to root (i.e lose the catalog directory) then amend the paths in your catalog/includes/configure.php and your admin/includes/configure.php to reflect the new structure.

Charles

A kite flies highest AGAINST the wind !

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a lover in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ~ WOO HOO!! What a ride!"

Shops in Catalog DO get crawled and DO get PR - it takes time - there are a number of ways to try and speed up the indexing cycle - we can discuss those if interested

As for meta redirects - CORRECT - if you are redirecting permanently as you would appear to be doing - use 301 redirects instead - Meta redirects are often used by blackhatters and so good search engines will discount them.

To move your shop to root WITHOUT using a 301 redirect - just move EVERYTHING below catalog to root (i.e lose the catalog directory) then amend the paths in your catalog/includes/configure.php and your admin/includes/configure.php to reflect the new structure.

Charles

how do I use 301 redirects?? never heard of them :P

as for moving the shop: is it really that simple?? cause I skimmed the code and it looks like there are many references - apart from configure.php - which would point to non-existing locations :(

1. if you decide to move your catalog to the root, you only have to manually edit 2 files...

Those 2 files are

1. includes/configure.php

2. admin/includes/configure.php

2. if you decide to keep it in the catalog folder, do not use a redirect but create a seo optimaiced frontpage with links to all your categories.

1. if you decide to move your catalog to the root, you only have to manually edit 2 files...

Those 2 files are

1. includes/configure.php

2. admin/includes/configure.php

2. if you decide to keep it in the catalog folder, do not use a redirect but create a seo optimaiced frontpage with links to all your categories.

why shouldn't i redirect??

besides that: i have logos, various images, contributions which use absolute urls: my site would screw up if i moved it to the root and i would have to waste a week finding out all the broken links!!

as for creating a frontpage i don't really see why: a redirect is much simpler and looks more "integrated" than a page which is clearly not part of oscommerce!

besides that: i have logos, various images, contributions which use absolute urls: my site would screw up if i moved it to the root and i would have to waste a week finding out all the broken links!!

as for creating a frontpage i don't really see why: a redirect is much simpler and looks more "integrated" than a page which is clearly not part of oscommerce!

Do what you feel is right, but redirects are not good seo practices.

The only usefull one is a short term 301 redirect which is a good choice for changing pages and/or urls.

Best of luck to you.....

Redirects are OK - in fact 301 redirects in your .htaccess file are the Apache AND SE recommended way of signalling to robots that a page has permanently moved AND simultaneously transferring any aquired PR to the new page.

To add a 301 redirect do this

1) open up your .htaccess file in root

2) add these lines

RewriteEngine On

RewriteRule ^http://www.yourdomain.com/catalog/(.*) http://www.yourdomain.com [R=301,L]

This will redirect everything under Catalog to root - you may need to play around with the syntax a little - but nothing a good search on Google can't sort out - I am not responsible if this nukes your shop. :D (Just kidding - you only have to remove the added lines)

If you have hard coded paths in your store - you now know why stock osC does not use them :D

Relative paths are much easier to adjust should the need arise as it has in your case.

Charles

A kite flies highest AGAINST the wind !

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a lover in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ~ WOO HOO!! What a ride!"

Archived