• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Check out my shop

mj_superfly

Hi.. been developing this site for my mother's jewellery business for about six weeks now. It's 'live' in as much as that it will process order etc.. but we haven't gone out of our way to drive traffic towards it... yet! :)

Please have a look and see what you think... I've trawled through this forum and picked up some valuable tips, but could do with some specific suggestions.

My Webpage

Thanks!

I hope your have "prevent spider sessions" set on and an updated spiders.txt file, because otherwise when your store gets indexed, you are going to get a load of session IDs in the URLs linking back.

You need to fix your cookie path/domain ASAP to resolve this.

To help your SE efforts, lose the /shop/ subdirectory - moving the store into the root folder shouldn't tkae more than 5 minutes.

Install an SEO URL contribution.

You need SSL.

"Our postage rates are based on product weight plus a small packing and handling fee"

...which is how much?

You don't need those links in your infobox _and_ the footer. Why bother duplicating? Just looks like you are filling space for no good reason.

Well done on changing the advanced search pop-up text - nearly everyone misses this!

There is a problem with your "transparent gif" dividers popping up an empty yellow "title tag" when you hover the mouse over them.

Your featured products box has one rounded corner only.

No need to display the product code twice on product pages - don't like the brownish text for product description - not enough contrast to read easily.

I can see that you've been quite attentive to little details, which is nice.

Nice and simple category box. Good.

Some suggestions:

I guess the brownish color is meant to symbolise "earth", yes?

The overall effect is a little underwhelming.

A splash of color would make the site a little less drab to look at.

Consider putting a 1 or 2 pixel border around your store - it might focus attention to the main page.

Overall a fairly stock look, which isn't such a bad thing - just need to inject a little more pizazz into it I think.

Good luck.

Thanks for the review FalseDawn! Kept me busy all afternoon ;)

I hope your have "prevent spider sessions" set on and an updated spiders.txt file, because otherwise when your store gets indexed, you are going to get a load of session IDs in the URLs linking back.

You need to fix your cookie path/domain ASAP to resolve this.

'Prevent spider sessions' was on, but cookies weren't working properly. Should all be sorted now.

To help your SE efforts, lose the /shop/ subdirectory - moving the store into the root folder shouldn't tkae more than 5 minutes.
It took a little longer than 5 mins, but moved the whole kit n caboodle to the root.

Install an SEO URL contribution.
I have Ultimate SEOs installed and working... although the effect wasn't so brilliant with the session ID on the end!

You need SSL.
Yep, the chequebook will have to come out for this one. Who is best/cheapest for this? Verisign and Geotrust are the two I've seen, but other than that I'm clueless!

"Our postage rates are based on product weight plus a small packing and handling fee"

...which is how much?

Done

You don't need those links in your infobox _and_ the footer. Why bother duplicating? Just looks like you are filling space for no good reason.
I took it out, but then it looked a bit empty... so I put in back in to fill the space :lol:

Well done on changing the advanced search pop-up text - nearly everyone misses this!
Hehe, why thank you :blush:

There is a problem with your "transparent gif" dividers popping up an empty yellow "title tag" when you hover the mouse over them.
Yeah, I noticed this earlier. Any ideas on how to fix it?? Is it that there is an empty "alt" tag for the spacer gifs?

Your featured products box has one rounded corner only.

No need to display the product code twice on product pages - don't like the brownish text for product description - not enough contrast to read easily.

Duplicate product code removed and I've changed the colour of the text... not sure it'll stay that colour, but is defintely more contrasty.

I can see that you've been quite attentive to little details, which is nice.

Nice and simple category box. Good.

Some suggestions:

I guess the brownish color is meant to symbolise "earth", yes?

The overall effect is a little underwhelming.

A splash of color would make the site a little less drab to look at.

Consider putting a 1 or 2 pixel border around your store - it might focus attention to the main page.

Overall a fairly stock look, which isn't such a bad thing - just need to inject a little more pizazz into it I think.

Good luck.

Agreed - overall the site lacks impact. Have decided on a re-design as the business is taking a slight shift of direction. Now that the functionality is in place I can hopefully build a gorgeous looking site around it :)

Thanks for the input!

Steve

Archived