• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

customer database

torakun

Hello,

I'm new to osCommerce and trying it out for the first time.

I've managed to install and configure the basic setup no probs. I'd like to add some useful fields to the customer database.

I found out how to modify the existing fields in the control panel but nothing to actually add/delete.

Any help most appreciated.

warm regards,

Torakun

give a bit more detail of what you want to do, perhaps has already been done and can point you in the right direction.,

give a bit more detail of what you want to do, perhaps has already been done and can point you in the right direction.,

In the customer table, we have the following by default:

ID, Gender, First Name, Last Name, DOB, email, AddressID, phone, fax.

I'd like to add new fields such as shoe size, shirt size, etc... so that the customer doesn't have to specify them each time.

Another way to do it would be to add a new table named for exemple "Size" and add only the SizeID in the customer table (the same way it's done for Address).

Do you have enough info?

Regards,

Torakun

if you use products attributes properly, then there is no need to have the sizes stored for a customer.

else use other contributions and modify them to suit your needs. ie the contribution 'how did you hear about us' adds other fields and drop downs to the create account page, but you will still have to do lots more modifications.

what happens if the customer decides to order for their spouse? and someone looks in the customer record and sees a size 10 when the customer actually wanted to order a size 12? there will be many returns when that happens and would cost you more in time, money spent, profit now lost, etc. in my honest opinion, not a very good solution to save a few seconds on an order.

there are many other reasons to not do this, these are just a few

Archived