• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Tax zones, rates, etc

Ok, I don't know if it is the late hour or what but i am just not understanding the tax thing.

I am a Canadian retailer that ships worldwide. I only need to charge tax for Canadian customers, GST at 7%, and for Ontario customers an additional 8% for PST.

Tell me if this is right.

I create a tax zone for each province. I create 2 tax classes, one for GST and one for PST. I apply the GST class to all the provinces and the PST class to Ontario only. Is there anything I am missing? Am I getting this all wrong?

I also need to charge the taxes to the shipping. How do I do that?

Thanks for the help. :)

How do I deal with countries outside Canada that are zero rated for tax? Do I need to create tax zones for international and US and give them a zero tax rate?

How do I deal with countries outside Canada that are zero rated for tax?  Do I need to create tax zones for international and US and give them a zero tax rate?

not sure if that is the right way or not but that is how I did it for only charging tax to my state (also helped when it came to shipping since i only ship to us but also to apos which is different shipping so I could then assign that class to the particular module)

Wendy James

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

Archived