• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

I can hardly wait to go live!!!

dandelion

Aromatherapy for You Store

Almost ready to go live!! This store will be live by the end of the month and I would really appreciate any comments, troubleshooting. Once it is live it will replace the existing site.

I am trying to install the category description contributions and running into snags but other than that and adding some more products we are ready.

Please comment.

Thanks

Ruth

1) On my screen it is about 20 pixels too wide. There is no room for the scroll bar.

2) In the header the Account Login is on one line and the Veiw Cart and Checkout are on the left of the next line. Hopefully when you remove the other text that will sort out.

3) On the product pages I would like to see a quantity box.

4) I think the pages in the Aromatherapy box could be integrated better into the site. It is easy to add additional pages and it would keep the site consistant.

5) You still need an SSL cert.

HTH

Peter

Add an SEO URL contribution

There is a problem with the session ID appearing in all the URLs (your cookie path/domain settings are wrong)

Please tell me you are going to accept visa/mastercard through a proper merchant and not through paypal?

You could do with a meta tag and page title contribution - your product pages have the your store default title (browser title, that is), which won't help in SE rankings.

Nice looking site!

When i clicked the HOME i was sent to an area where i couldn't find how to get back to the shop? Is this the original shop? that your replacing.

In the shop, i couldn't make out the product images. Some of them were a bit blurry and unclear.

As a complete novice in aromatherapy i wasn't sure what some of the product images were about. I'd want to see what i was buying, like the bottle of whatever it was like your category images on the first page. I wouldn't buy from seeing a bunch of roses or lavender.

Also, some of your products have no images at all. Buyers want to see what they're getting.

Agree with Falsedawn, you need to improve your SEO.

Your images are quite large, use an image contribution to keep them small but still clear. I would imagine on dial up the site would be quite slow loading.

The pop-up image box is smaller than some of the images.

The larger images are not big enough when popped up.

In your intro to aromatherapy, the image at the top has a load of text in it, this would be better on the page as it is full of keywords and won't be read by the search engines in an image. Also the catalog home has "Aromatherapy online store" in an image, this would also be better as text.

Your image alt tags have gone a bit pear shaped somewhere. Some of them say 100% & 92 when you hover over some of them. I imagine this is one of the image dimensions.

If you only accept Paypal for payment expect to not sell much. Hopefully your going to be accepting credit & debit cards on-line.

I personally don't like the create account bit to buy. I have removed all references to creating an account from my store and sales have now gone up by at least 200% in one month.

Make the create account bit part of the checkout process, and only have a log-in for returning customers. As follows.

1,Change the log-in page to only show the returning customer box.

2,In checkout shipping, change the "if customer not logged in" bit to redirect to create_account.php instead of login.php.

3,The continue at the foot of create_account.php redirect to checkout_shipping instead of create_account_success.

4,At the top of the create account page it says if you already have an account with us ...etc. Change this to, if you are a returning customer.....

By removing all references to creating an account my site has gone from a couple of sales to madness. So it must work.

Just think if you were to buy something on-line and you had to create an account to do so, would you still buy? I wouldn't, i always think i will recieve a load of e:mail rubbish if i do. If it's part of the checkout you don't think about it.

This also removes two pages from the already too long log in/checkout procedure.

I like the site though!

Good Luck :thumbsup:

HTH

Julian

A little knowledge is dangerous, I SHOULD KNOW.

If Life Begins At 40, What ends????

Nice looking site!

When i clicked the HOME i was sent to an area where i couldn't find how to get back to the shop? Is this the original shop? that your replacing. Yes that's the old site

In the shop, i couldn't make out the product images. Some of them were a bit blurry and unclear. I think my attempt to add the category description contribution has affected my images - it's why the alt text and image sizes are off kilter as you pointed out below - thanks I'll try to sort out what happened - I'm still hoping to get the contribution working but at this point I need a good primal scream!

As a complete novice in aromatherapy i wasn't sure what some of the product images were about. I'd want to see what i was buying, like the bottle of whatever it was like your category images on the first page. I wouldn't buy from seeing a bunch of roses or lavender.

Also, some of your products have no images at all. Buyers want to see what they're getting. all these images would look exactly the same a bottle with a label - I've visited the big aromatherapy companies and they don't show an image for each oil etc.

Agree with Falsedawn, you need to improve your SEO. okay I guess I was just avoiding more work

Your images are quite large, use an image contribution to keep them small but still clear. I would imagine on dial up the site would be quite slow loading. really - everyone else has said they load quickly - I'll check out the contribution

The pop-up image box is smaller than some of the images.

The larger images are not big enough when popped up. HOW DO I FIX THIS?

In your intro to aromatherapy, the image at the top has a load of text in it, this would be better on the page as it is full of keywords and won't be read by the search engines in an image. Also the catalog home has "Aromatherapy online store" in an image, this would also be better as text. I'll think about these I like the font and not everyone has it

Your image alt tags have gone a bit pear shaped somewhere. Some of them say 100% & 92 when you hover over some of them. I imagine this is one of the image dimensions.Thanks for the heads up I hadn't noticed that the category description contribution had messed them up

If you only accept Paypal for payment expect to not sell much. Hopefully your going to be accepting credit & debit cards on-line.My friend hasn't much money for start up and decided to use Paypal as the payment gateway to save money - you really think it's a turnoff for people!

I personally don't like the create account bit to buy. I have removed all references to creating an account from my store and sales have now gone up by at least 200% in one month.

Make the create account bit part of the checkout process, and only have a log-in for returning customers. As follows.

1,Change the log-in page to only show the returning customer box.

2,In checkout shipping, change the "if customer not logged in" bit to redirect to create_account.php instead of login.php.

3,The continue at the foot of create_account.php redirect to checkout_shipping instead of create_account_success.

4,At the top of the create account page it says if you already have an account with us ...etc. Change this to, if you are a returning customer.....

By removing all references to creating an account my site has gone from a couple of sales to madness. So it must work.

Just think if you were to buy something on-line and you had to create an account to do so, would you still buy? I wouldn't, i always think i will recieve a load of e:mail rubbish if i do. If it's part of the checkout you don't think about it.

This also removes two pages from the already too long log in/checkout procedure.

WOW I think you're right - guess I've got a lot more work to do

I like the site though!

HTH

Julian

[/color]

Thanks Julian for all your comments

1) On my screen it is about 20 pixels too wide. There is no room for the scroll bar. really! Maybe it's a browser thing are you using Internet Explorer?

2) In the header the Account Login is on one line and the Veiw Cart and Checkout are on the left of the next line. Hopefully when you remove the other text that will sort out.really - It's perfect on mine I'll move the extra text and see if that helps

3) On the product pages I would like to see a quantity box. Not sure what you mean

4) I think the pages in the Aromatherapy box could be integrated better into the site. It is easy to add additional pages and it would keep the site consistant.I was trying to save myself work as these pages were on the old site - I just found the article manager contribution and was thinking of using it

5) You still need an SSL cert. NO I have a SSL isn't it set up properly? Sorry I'm such a newbie I enjoy the design but I don't understand some of this other stuff!

HTH

Peter

Peter, thanks so much for your comments

Add an SEO URL contribution okay

There is a problem with the session ID appearing in all the URLs (your cookie path/domain settings are wrong) I asked someone about that before and they said it was fine - how do I change this I've noticed other sites with the same problem

Please tell me you are going to accept visa/mastercard through a proper merchant and not through paypal?As I said above, my friend hasn't much money for start up and decided to use Paypal as the payment gateway to save money - you really think it's a turnoff for people!

You could do with a meta tag and page title contribution - your product pages have the your store default title (browser title, that is), which won't help in SE rankings..okay!

Thanks FalseDawn guess I've got more work to do. I really appreciate that you have all taken time to give feedback

Ruth

If you only accept Paypal for payment expect to not sell much. Hopefully your going to be accepting credit & debit cards on-line.
My friend hasn't much money for start up and decided to use Paypal as the payment gateway to save money - you really think it's a turnoff for people!

I personally think this is a must have. Not too sure how Paypal works anymore, you had to be registered with them to make any payments before, this may have changed where you don't have to be registered to make small payments. Not sure, but if you have to be registered i wouldn't buy as it can take days to get Paypal confirmed. For the less knowledgeable (Of the Internet) having to do more than necessary on-line will lose business. Sometimes finding the product you want on-line can be difficult, but if paying for it is even more difficult why bother.

That's my personal opinion anyway.

1) On my screen it is about 20 pixels too wide. There is no room for the scroll bar. really! Maybe it's a browser thing are you using Internet Explorer?

The site is 800 pixels wide, my screen is 800 pixels but part of that 800 is taken up by the scroll bar so the proper site size to fit on my screen should be around 760 - 780 then it fits perfectly. Using IE.

2) In the header the Account Login is on one line and the Veiw Cart and Checkout are on the left of the next line. Hopefully when you remove the other text that will sort out.really - It's perfect on mine I'll move the extra text and see if that helps

Now it is perfect

3) On the product pages I would like to see a quantity box. Not sure what you mean

Such as here on my site. That way people can add more than 1 of a product to their cart. I know they can do it from the next page but personally I don't think that follows proper customer logic. It is a contribution, if you can't find it PM me and I will dig it up for you if you are interested.

4) I think the pages in the Aromatherapy box could be integrated better into the site. It is easy to add additional pages and it would keep the site consistant.I was trying to save myself work as these pages were on the old site - I just found the article manager contribution and was thinking of using it

I find it easier to just add a new page such as copy the shipping.php page. I have added about 50 pages that way with reletive ease. There is a section in the Knowlege base about adding new pages.

5) You still need an SSL cert. NO I have a SSL isn't it set up properly? Sorry I'm such a newbie I enjoy the design but I don't understand some of this other stuff!

You need to change your configure.php files to reflect that you have the https. Also when I switch to https I get a warning message then taken to http://templates.doteasy.com/ErrorPages/error404/

Peter

QUOTE:

There is a problem with the session ID appearing in all the URLs (your cookie path/domain settings are wrong) I asked someone about that before and they said it was fine - how do I change this I've noticed other sites with the same problem

It's not really fine to be honest - and it looks bad.

You need to check the cookie_path and cookie_domain settings in your configure.php file - the cookie is not "sticking", forcing the session ID to be passed in the URL.

Regarding Paypal, you might want to check this out:

http://www.paypalsucks.com/

Basically, relying on paypal for a business will sooner or later mean you _will_ get screwed.

In particular, note that if a fraudulent user buys through paypal with a stolen credit card (and it seems paypal have removed the option to prevent this), and then makes a complaint against you, you will be out of pocket to the cost of your goods, and will also be hit for chargeback fees from the credit card company.

You can make yourself eligible for the "Seller Protection Policy" by only shipping to "confirmed addresses", but you will need to manually check this, since AFAIK ther is nothing to stop people entering whatever address they want in the paypal payment page - you would need to check the IPN log info for this, which is a hassle. There are also a several more conditions you need to satisfy to be eligible.

I'm not trying to start an anti-paypal campaign, as there are probably millions of people who never have trouble - you should just be aware of the situation.

In particular, note that if a fraudulent user buys through paypal with a stolen credit card (and it seems paypal have removed the option to prevent this), and then makes a complaint against you, you will be out of pocket to the cost of your goods, and will also be hit for chargeback fees from the credit card company.

You can make yourself eligible for the "Seller Protection Policy" by only shipping to "confirmed addresses", but you will need to manually check this, since AFAIK ther is nothing to stop people entering whatever address they want in the paypal payment page - you would need to check the IPN log info for this, which is a hassle. There are also a several more conditions you need to satisfy to be eligible.

I'm not trying to start an anti-paypal campaign, as there are probably millions of people who never have trouble - you should just be aware of the situation.

This has all really branched off into a whole new thread. Not really feedback for Dandelion's store. :)

I would like to add though before this is considered for another forum: What other options are open? I don't own and never will own a credit card, so I haven't a clue how they work. I don't want to get ripped off by Paypal (even if I never get scammed by a customer, all PP's fees are still extortion to the extreme- I've been hammered by them in the past). I'll probably just personally end up with a credit card mod from the contribs or something.. Hope that the card suppliers have enough cover. :)

I'm sure this forum's packed with various info on this subject- Not just Paypal's slightly questionable approach, but on credit card handling and other stuff in general. To be honest, I've been so wrapped up in the look/feel/layout and stocking of my own store I've not even started to tackle the big heavy of the payment modules and associated strife.

As for your store, Dandelion:

I really like the look of your place. You've done a fantastic job of the colourscheme and image sets.

Points for possible improvment:

Firsty, I apologise if I seem like I'm being particularly cold. I'm not. :) I'm just in a bit of a rush right now. :)

Some of your product descriptions are a little wonky.. Especially your aroma diffusers.

Add a few drops of essential oil to the Aroma Shell - aromatic diffuser's stainless steel dish. The dish is warmed by electric heat. Available in your choice of two colours.

It's almost like it's been translated from a foreign language by computer?

We know it's an aroma diffuser. The product title tells us this. It's warmed by electric heat? Doesn't read well. Does this come with the oils or should I buy them separately? From you? Where on your site are they?

Suggest:

Add a few drops of essential oil to the Aroma Shell's stainless steel dish. The dish is warmed by electric heat. Available in your choice of two colours

I would change your page titles if this isn't too much of a hassle. You see, when your site is minimised, the minimised window on my toolbar says "[shop Aro]".

dt.jpg

My brain's automatically completing this as "[shop Around]". I know it doesn't say that, but on a subconcious level, I could be strangely tempted to take that advice and look elsewhere. I know not many people browse with other windows minimised, but it might help? Try just your store name. At least then the toolbar will say "[Aromathe]" which peoples brains can at least complete as "Aromatherapy". It's just removing one more reason to go elsewhere!

Below are a few easy to find books wherein you will find bo..

Easy to find, but not on your site. First thing I thought of when I saw that is that "My sister's interested in getting into aromatherapy, those books would be useful.. Where's their book section?" Why give Amazon your customers? :D It is a good section though and your reviews are well written.

You've got an extra list dot at the end of your recip?s page. Another nice idea.. By

By the way, I'm actually relaxing a bit while I browse your site, so you're doing something right. hehe

Why not link from your Clay product pages to your article on using clay masks? Would this be difficult to do? (whack an <a href=..... in your product description should work)

These are all tiny details. You've got a splendid site there and I reckon messing with it much further will just complicate it and spoil the "smoothness" of it all. :)

Good luck.

I actually like your site. I think it's well laid out and very welcoming.

I do however think the orange at both the top and bottom is BRIGHT (funny no one else mentioned it since thats what everyone is saying about my site!). The words don't seem to bother me- but when I first go to your site it's like looking at the sun at the top and bottom. It wouldn't however stop me from shopping there- as I still like it.

And one other thing-

in the <previous and next> buttons... how come the < is pressed up against the p in previous - the p is kind of overlapping. Yet there is a space in between the t in next and the >. It looks off balance- I think it just needs a little space/padding between the < and the p.

Also- some of your product descriptions do seem a bit rigid or something. Like someone else said- like they have been translated or something. I would think about rewording them a bit to flow better.

As far as paypal goes since everyone else was hitting on that point. There are lots of people that like paypal and lots that don't. You can now pay by paypal without an account- which helps thats for sure. I ran my store solely on paypal and money orders/cash through the mail for like 4 years. Out of probably 5000 transactions I had ONE "stolen credit card" and a chargeback- luckily it was only like $30. It was a daughter who used her dads credit card and he didn't authorize it so he did the chargeback thing. I actually spoke with both of them and of course she apologized and promised to send the cash but of course never did. However, there are lots of customers that tell me they won't use it, and probably a 30% unfinished payment so they are transferring to paypal and then deciding they don't want to pay that way. If you ship to only confirmed addresses that will cut down your orders even more. In order to have a confirmed address you have to link your checking account and credit card. Very few people do that. I'd say of my customers maybe 40% are confirmed- that would loss more than 1/2 my customers if I said confirmed only!!

Since I started offering Authorize.net there have not been any unpaid for orders. So everyone that is choosing to use the shopping cart is completing the sale.

Authorize.net charges basically the same fees as paypal per order, but they do have a $25 monthly fee. That's not really that much in the realm of things. I think it makes up for it with the completed orders.

Basically I think Paypal is good to have as a payment OPTION- because there are lots of people that have balances (from ebay sales) that want to shop and use the balance. Also a good way to start when you only have minimal sales - but it may just keep your sales minimal.

Thats my 2 cents..

Good luck, you've done a good job, and thank you for the link to that catalog contribution for my site - it worked great!! :thumbsup:

~BREA

Wow I'm exhausted - you are all giving me great advice! I've spent most of the day installing the purchase without account contribution that was suggested. I don't intend to leave the double login at the top don't worry! I want to make the order-info.php file from that include the province pull-down I have in my create-account.php (this was from the Country-State Selector contribution). My brain is a little fried right now so I'm afraid to mess things up to quote Scarlett Ohara from Gone With The Wind "I won't think about that now. I'll think about that tomorrow. after all tomorrow is another day"

Paypal doesn't require an account so we are planning to use it as the payment gateway. My friend is setting up a physical store as well as the online on and startup funds are the problem. Ohhh I hope she doesn't have fraudulant claims or she might kill me :'( I do expect that we will move away from paypal in the future.

FalseDawn - can you explain the cookie thing to me, sorry to be such a newbie

Thanks all,

Ruth

Wow I'm exhausted - you are all giving me great advice!  I've spent most of the day installing the purchase without account contribution that was suggested.

I haven't seen a reference to the purchase without account contribution in this thread. If it's from what i was suggesting, this is a completely different method. If you do it this way, no account means no record, no e:mails etc etc. If you do it the way i have suggested, the customer doesn't have to select any method they just proceed directly to checkout and the create account is part of that process although it appears to be just part of the checkout. All the details are recorded, and you reduce the checkout by two pages. You can see my checkout HERE and see what happens when you add something to the cart and click checkout. Please note this is a live store, so please don't make any test purchases. Thank you.

Julian

I haven't seen a reference to the purchase without account contribution in this thread. If it's from what i was suggesting, this is a completely different method. If you do it this way, no account means no record, no e:mails etc etc. If you do it the way i have suggested, the customer doesn't have to select any method they just proceed directly to checkout and the create account is part of that process although it appears to be just part of the checkout. All the details are recorded, and you reduce the checkout by two pages. You can see my checkout HERE and see what happens when you  add something to the cart and click checkout. Please note this is a live store, so please don't make any test purchases. Thank you.

Julian

Julian, Is there a contribution to go directly to the checkout as you suggest?

Ruth

There is a problem with the session ID appearing in all the URLs (your cookie path/domain settings are wrong)

FalseDawn I cant find what these should be set at. From what I understand I need to set the force cookie use to false as I'm using a shared SSL

Can you point me in the right direction?

Ruth

I like your site - it's clear and easy to find what you're looking for.

I don't know if it's just me but I'm looking at the site in Firefox and the Synergies page appears completly on the right, I have scroll to get to it?

I like your site - it's clear and easy to find what you're looking for.

I don't know if it's just me but I'm looking at the site in Firefox and the Synergies page appears completly on the right, I have scroll to get to it?

Oh dear - I don't know how to fix that - it's fine for me in IE and why would only one product page go off?

I've just installed the SEO URL's by Chemo but I don't have a .htaccess file and the one I've created isn't right. Can someone send me their file to work from?

Huge thanks to Julian for the great quick checkout contribution!

You could do with a meta tag and page title contribution - your product pages have the your store default title (browser title, that is), which won't help in SE rankings.

There seem to be several different meta tag contributions - which do you recommend??

Ruth

Archived