• Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Accessing catalog as home page

Tmag

Hi,

I'm new to this.

Everything is installed and configured to the point where I will start customizing.

I have searched the forums, but I can't find anything clear on how to make the catalog/welcome page my home page. ?.e. I would like the catalog page to open by default when someone types www.mysite.com into the browser address field. Now the default page is the parent directory. To access the catalog/welcome page the URL www.mysite.com/catalog must be entered.

If someone can offer some clear advice, it would be most welcome.

I have control panel (with most of the good tools) and FTP access, by the way.

Thanks,

Tmag

Hi,

I'm new to this.

Everything is installed and configured to the point where I will start customizing.

I have searched the forums, but I can't find anything clear on how to make the catalog/welcome page my home page. ?.e. I would like the catalog page to open by default when someone types www.mysite.com into the browser address field. Now the default page is the parent directory. To access the catalog/welcome page the URL www.mysite.com/catalog must be entered.

Thanks,

Tmag

All you need to do is move your entire store one directory level up to root - i.e EVERYTHING in catalog goes to public_html and you lose the catalog directory.

make sure when you do you chnage your configure.php paths

Charles

A kite flies highest AGAINST the wind !

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a lover in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ~ WOO HOO!! What a ride!"

Hi,

I'm new to this.

Thanks,

Tmag

It's easy, creat an index.php at your home address including the below only:

<?php header('Location: mystore/catalog/index.php'); ?>

change the path to yours.

Great!

Thanks for that.

One more thing, though: What is involved in changing the configure.php paths?

Or, using the alternative method offered, where exactly do I enter the code: <?php header('Location: mystore/catalog/index.php'); ?>

Sorry, but I need a step by step if someone has the time.

Thanks again,

Tmag

Great!

Thanks for that.

One more thing, though: What is involved in changing the configure.php paths?

Look for 'catalog' in admin/includes/configure.php and includes/configure.php and remove it. Do this on the server copy - DON'T upload a local copy, back up the files first and before saving go the the very end of the file and ensure that there's no white space after the > or you'll get an error similar to this.

Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by

Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already

As soon as you've done this, navigate around the site to make sure that you haven't accidently deleted a /.

Good luck.

I had the same problem and I just did a domain redirect to the store. Worked great for me and I didn't have to try and move evrything

OK, thanks everyone. I think I'll customize my site first while it's still on a subdomain. Afterwards, I'll point my domain to the host's DNS and see which of these many options you have suggested looks easiest.

If anyone has anything to add, please do.

Thanks again,

Tmag

I had the same problem and I just did a domain redirect to the store. Worked great for me and I didn't have to try and move evrything

Yup, this is fine.....as long as your index ranking in search engines doesn't matter to you.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

Redirects work - but get your site marked down by search engines.

Best advice - move the site to the root of your domain as you intended.

Vger

Thanks again. That's an awful lot of files and folders to move from one spot to another though. Still, if that's all I have to do and it's the best way, I'll get it done.

Tmag

Archived