• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Intermittent cart disappearance.HELP-Free vanilla!

cooks

Hello, all. This is Alex with Cook's Flavoring Company (www.cooksvanilla.com). We have recently opened our new site with an OsCommerce-based store front/shopping cart and are having some problems following a server crash. The store was developed by an independent contractor who has become non-responsive in his support function, leaving us to fix the problem. I understand that this this forum represents a voluntary support effort and would greatly appreciate any help with solving our problem. I have virtually no experience with OsCommerce, though am versed in HTML/PHP, etc.

The problem arises when logging in through the store front or checking the cart contents page (latter causes problem only intermittently). Rather than logging the customer in or displaying the cart contents, the following faulty pages are displayed:

Errors and correct loads

It is fairly easy to force the error by going to www.cooksvanilla.com/cart and attempting to log in (use random access info). The company hosting the site claims the problem is not server-related but store software-related. Please let me know what you think - any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance,

-Alex Bugrov

[email protected]

I don't know about your problem, but you need to change your admin username and password ASAP - I was able to guess them in 2 tries!

Edit: If I wasn't so honest, your store would now either be completely deleted or would be displaying some unsavoury pages...

I don't know about your problem, but you need to change your admin username and password ASAP - I was able to guess them in 2 tries!

Edit: If I wasn't so honest, your store would now either be completely deleted or would be displaying some unsavoury pages...

I wonder... if you'd spent that time on solving the problem instead?

When you can see a directory with an Apache installation, the company hosting your site has a very insecure setup. For your own protection, you need to immediately find a hosting company that can offer you a good installation of Apache, php and mySQL. Also, they should offer and support osCommerce.

just my 2 cents worth.

GEOTEX from Houston, TX

(George)

This is easily solved by adding 'Options -indexes' to an appropriate .htaccess file.

I think you'll find that the majority of hosting companies don't disable directory listing by default...

Can't always blame the hosting company - often it's just that people are not informed (or just don't care) about such security issues...

This is easily solved by adding 'Options -indexes' to an appropriate .htaccess file.

I think you'll find that the majority of hosting companies don't disable directory listing by default...

Can't always blame the hosting company - often it's just that people are not informed (or just don't care) about such security issues...

I think any security aware installer would have the server set so that if a default file or specificly named file is not found, you get a stock Apache 403 Forbidden message. Anything less shows gross negligence on the part of the server operator.

GEOTEX from Houston, TX

(George)

Look, guys - I got all the security stuff, I'm aware of the directory listing - that info's benign and the path is given out in what I assume to be secure locations (like this forum, ehem...). Does anyone have any actual insight into the store glitch?

I retract the earlier statement about using fake access info, sorry. To force the error please use:

[email protected]

pass=vanilla

(...I know, I know, it's the same acceess info. )

Or simply add/remove items to/from cart and keep clicking on the shopping cart icon - it will eventually fail to load.

Geotex: Commercial support for OsCommerce? Does that exist?

Looks like there's a problem with the files that generate the shopping cart listing that users can adjust.

A quick fix is to set it to not display the cart after adding a product (in admin somewhere)

After that, you need to replace or debug the following pair of files:

catalog/shopping_cart.php

catalog/includes/languages/english/shopping_cart.php

Hope it helps,

Noel

Look, guys - I got all the security stuff, I'm aware of the directory listing - that info's benign and the path is given out in what I assume to be secure locations (like this forum, ehem...). Does anyone have any actual insight into the store glitch?

I retract the earlier statement about using fake access info, sorry. To force the error please use:

[email protected]

pass=vanilla

(...I know, I know, it's the same acceess info. )

Or simply add/remove items to/from cart and keep clicking on the shopping cart icon - it will eventually fail to load.

Geotex: Commercial support for OsCommerce? Does that exist?

I didn't even have to sign in to get lock ups in both Internet explorer and Firefox. I will have to sign out and close browsers to clear cookies.

The cart seems to be skipping code, but will post back shortley.

To answer question on commercial support for osCommerce.. Many companies offer a basic install of osCommerce and have the systems set to accomdate the cart with little or no install problems. While they cannot provide answers to specific problems, they know enough about the system to guide you with basic settings and security issues.

Modified carts are supported by some developers. I have several that I installed for customers and maintain, as do many of the other posters in this forum. Some can work with heavily modified carts, and the various template systems that are available. Most of the work done here is to help support the individual user/amature developer.

I'm going to take a closer look at your cart, but need to close the browsers and start over to clear cookies.

GEOTEX from Houston, TX

(George)

Cooks

you mentioned in your original post that there had been a server crash. Where did the back up files come from that were used to restore your cart?

Your original developer used the STS template system to design the cart. It may be that during the restore, some files got crossed or put back in the wrong directories. Do you have a copy of your cart from before the server crash? if so, loading that to the server may solve your problems.

I haven't used the sts template system, so am not qualified to go much further on trying to diagnose your problems.

GEOTEX from Houston, TX

(George)

FalseDawn, Geotex, noelc... thanks for the help, all. I will try each of your suggestions during the course of the weekend.

The server ?people? restored a version of the site that was very old ? without the cart. I then FTP the cart files myself & all was fine for a while. I am reluctant to upload it all over again since the last upload was followed by all sorts of security certificate installations, etc.. though if I am unable to debug the files you suggest are causing the problem I may have no other choice.

Thanks again ? Geotex, if you feel qualified to repair and/or maintain the site, name your price and put together some professional info and I will submit them to our Big Cheese.

-Alex

FalseDawn, Geotex, noelc... thanks for the help, all. I will try each of your suggestions during the course of the weekend.

The server ?people? restored a version of the site that was very old ? without the cart. I then FTP the cart files myself & all was fine for a while. I am reluctant to upload it all over again since the last upload was followed by all sorts of security certificate installations, etc..  though if I am unable to debug the files you suggest are causing the problem I may have no other choice.

Thanks again ? Geotex, if you feel qualified to repair and/or maintain the site, name your price and put together some professional info and I will submit them to our Big Cheese.

-Alex

Thanks for the offer, but I neither use or support sts or bts templates. We use our own versions of heavily modified carts that have been built up over the couple of years based on customer requests and our own experience using Miva and other competing(?) products. I am sure you will get an offer from someone who is more familiar with the templating system you paid to have set up. Good luck with your site, feel free to pm me if I can be of any assitance.

GEOTEX from Houston, TX

(George)

Archived