• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Tax issues

I am having trouble figuring this out. I live in the US and am only supposed to charge tax to people who live in IL. I have searched all throughout the Locations / Taxes section and can not find where to save no tax for all other states. I have IL state tax programmed and it still charges tax to everyone regardless of the state. Do I need to add every other state with 0% tax? There must be an easier way. PLEASE HELP!

Go to admin location/taxes there you will find Tax Zones set up a file for your state,then go to tax rates and setup your tax there...that should do it

I am having trouble figuring this out. I live in the US and am only supposed to charge tax to people who live in IL. I have searched all throughout the Locations / Taxes section and can not find where to save no tax for all other states. I have IL state tax programmed and it still charges tax to everyone regardless of the state. Do I need to add every other state with 0% tax? There must be an easier way. PLEASE HELP!

The Hobby Undergound..."For The Pure Hobbyist"

I am having the same problem.

I setup IL tax, and it charges IL tax to everyone, no matter the state that they live in.

Same problem exactly. Obviously if they are having the same issues they have already setup the zone and the rate, the trick is to get it to only charge for your state. It is still charging for Missouri for example.

If you set up a tax rate, tax class, and tax zone it should only charge taxes to the zone you have assigned. If you still have problems you could read more about how to set it up here...

http://oscommerce.info/kb/osCommerce_Devel...s/Tax_Rates/169

Wendy James

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

I?ve been having this same issue and I just figured out the cause of my issue.

You probably already have your state defined as a zone as I did; but I was missing one simple and obvious step. I?ll start from the beginning assuming you don?t have your state set up in TAX ZONES.

1. From admin, click on TAX ZONES

2. Select insert

3. Name your zone, and fill in your description (this is just a title and has nothing to do with your region yet)

4. click insert button to add your new zone to the list (I already had this part)

5. Now with in TAX ZONES you will see a folder icon with the name of the zone you just created (probably your state in this case.) Double click to open the zone

6. Now you no longer see the folder icon.

7. To the right, select edit

8. Now use the drop down menus to assign the appropriate country and state to your zone.

It sounds silly but I had created a zone and named it as my state; at this point all I had was a zone ?name? and by default it applies to everything. I had not actually opened the zone and used the drop down menus to select the regions.

I hope this helps

Yes that solved everything!!! Thanks so much! :)

I?ve been having this same issue and I just figured out the cause of my issue.

You probably already have your state defined as a zone as I did; but I was missing one simple and obvious step. I?ll start from the beginning assuming you don?t have your state set up in TAX ZONES.

1. From admin, click on TAX ZONES

2. Select insert

3. Name your zone, and fill in your description (this is just a title and has nothing to do with your region yet)

4. click insert button to add your new zone to the list (I already had this part)

5. Now with in TAX ZONES you will see a folder icon with the name of the zone you just created (probably your state in this case.) Double click to open the zone

6. Now you no longer see the folder icon.

7. To the right, select edit

8. Now use the drop down menus to assign the appropriate country and state to your zone.

It sounds silly but I had created a zone and named it as my state; at this point all I had was a zone ?name? and by default it applies to everything. I had not actually opened the zone and used the drop down menus to select the regions.

I hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having somewhat of the same problem. My store needs to charge sales tax to everyone inside of PA. When you login and you're from PA it adds tax fine, if you login and are from outside of PA it correctly adds no tax.

The problem is when you aren't logged in at all the tax is still showing up...anything that can be done?

Archived