• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Setting up sales tax.

mikeidm

Having worked through too many little snags and with too little sleep, I just can't diagnose and fix anything else. I need help in configuring US sales tax.

I need to charge sales tax to residents of 2 states but not the other 48. Each of the 2 states where sales tax must be charged have different rates. I set up the zones and osC now charges both sales taxes to every order regardless of the billing/shipping address.

This is really going to get sticky when I have to set up the individual zones for all the various cities and counties in California.

Thanks for your help!

This is really going to get sticky when I have to set up the individual zones for all the various cities and counties in California.

Thanks for your help!

Are you certain that you need to do that? Our office is in LA, and we charge the LA county tax rate for all California orders (no tax from outside of CA). California tax rates have been discussed quite a lot here--you may want to do a search.

"Buy the ticket, take the ride..." -HST

Are you certain that you need to do that? Our office is in LA, and we charge the LA county tax rate for all California orders (no tax from outside of CA). California tax rates have been discussed quite a lot here--you may want to do a search.

The company I'm setting up the site for has operations in Massachusetts as well as California. Therefore we have to charge the Mass sales tax to Mass residents and the Los Angeles sales tax to CA residents. Customers in the other states would not be charged sales tax. Generally, you must collect sales taxes for every location where you have operations. That's what I'm trying to accomplish now.

In addition, the company feels that at some point they may have to start charging California sales tax for each individual tax jurisdiction. Car dealers and some other retailers already have to do that. If I buy a car in Los Angeles I get charged the lower San Bernardino County rate; while a LA resident buying a car in Ontario would get charged the higher LA rate. Local tax rates are coming to mail order and internet sales. Might as well plan for the future now.

The company I'm setting up the site for has operations in Massachusetts as well as California. Therefore we have to charge the Mass sales tax to Mass residents and the Los Angeles sales tax to CA residents. Customers in the other states would not be charged sales tax. Generally, you must collect sales taxes for every location where you have operations. That's what I'm trying to accomplish now.

In addition, the company feels that at some point they may have to start charging California sales tax for each individual tax jurisdiction. Car dealers and some other retailers already have to do that. If I buy a car in Los Angeles I get charged the lower San Bernardino County rate; while a LA resident buying a car in Ontario would get charged the higher LA rate. Local tax rates are coming to mail order and internet sales. Might as well plan for the future now.

Did you find a solution to your sales tax problem - I am having the same issue and it is driving me nuts. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Did you find a solution to your sales tax problem - I am having the same issue and it is driving me nuts.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

My tax office in WV told me that I dont have to charge tax to the other 49 states if I dont want to, but it has been discused and there is no reason why I cannot charge the 6.00 to all states and submit it at the end of the year.

Have you spoken with your local office and asked them about this, I figure seeing as Maryland is allowed to charge all states now, most other should be allowed too.

My tax office in WV told me that I dont have to charge tax to the other 49 states if I dont want to, but it has been discused and there is no reason why I cannot charge the 6.00 to all states and submit it at the end of the year.

Have you spoken with your local office and asked them about this, I figure seeing as Maryland is allowed to charge all states now, most other should be allowed too.

In general, the rule is that you must charge sale tax in each state where the company has operations. In my situation relating to this question, the company has operations in California and Maryland; therefore we must charge California sales tax to California residents and Maryland sales tax to Maryland residents. Under current tax codes we do not have to charge sales tax to residents of the other 48 states.

Here is the solution I found (finally!) by search these postings more thoroughtly:

From the front screen, under Locations / Taxes, click on Tax Zones.

Click Insert.

Under Zone Name, write "New York."

Under Description, write "New York Local Sales Tax Zone."

Click on Details.

Click on Insert.

Under Country, select United States.

Under Zone, select New York.

Now go to Tax Rates.

Click on New Tax Rate.

Under Tax Class Title, select Taxable Goods.

Under Zone, select New York.

Under Tax Rate (%), enter your local sales tax.

You can write whatever you want under description.

This should work for you.

When California begins to require that we charge the local sales tax for each tax jurisdiction we will all be glad that the hack is ready for download at osCommerce.com. Other contributions, such as the tax by County hack for Pennsylvania, are there waiting for us.

A special thanks to all the people who post their contributions!

Archived