• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Thumbnails

cd100

Could somebody please help me out with my photo issue?

I have all the photos of my stock ready, and will use photoshop to save them for the web. What size should I save them all as, and the other thing is...do I need to make thumbnails (to make the page load faster I guess I do). If so, which is the best software/contribution to use for this? Is there a tutorial anywhere that will teach me a little about loading images?

Thanks in advance

Claire

Have a look through the contributions to see if there's a suitable one for what your after. type in images, image, thumbnail, thumbnails etc and read them all. I use the thumbnails contri with GD library which has to be supported by the server (look in admin under server info to see if your server supports this) the images are handled then by the server. Some like it and some don't. I personally like it and i can use one large clear image and leave it to it. It doesn't appear to affect the load time as the thumbs it produces are all @ 2k or below but my enlarged images are whatever size i like. But it does use the server and can increase the load on it.

You can see my images here at http://www.leisurezone.co.uk

Ignore the images in the middle of the mainpage.

If you right click/properties on the small image you'll see the file size it has created and open the pop up you'll see the original it was created from.

HTH

Julian

A little knowledge is dangerous, I SHOULD KNOW.

If Life Begins At 40, What ends????

Read my thread in the Next Steps channel about Speed Optimization (also linked in signature). I link to my favorite autothumbnailer...you're mileage may vary.

Bobby

Read my thread in the Next Steps channel about Speed Optimization (also linked in signature).  I link to my favorite autothumbnailer...you're mileage may vary.

Bobby

I've tried Chemo's favourite thumbnail contri that cache's the thumbs and have to say it is better than the one i was using. The pages now load a lot quicker and with no loss of the thumbnail quality.

Cheers Bobby :thumbsup:

A little knowledge is dangerous, I SHOULD KNOW.

If Life Begins At 40, What ends????

Archived