• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

UK Payment gateway options

tobycatlin

I currently use worldpay to take the money from my customers. I am generally happy with their service. I like the fact the account can be customised to look exactly like the shop.

I am setting up a new shop and went back to WorldPay. The big problem i am having with them is their charges. The setup costs for worldpay have doubled and now amount to half the costs of setting up my shop.

I would like to ask this board who everyone elses uses? I do not want to use PayPal as i don't think it looks very professional or trustworthy to customers.

I am UK based as so would prefer a UK based one.

Thanks a lot

t

I ain't got time to bleed

Hi Toby,

Have you looked at Nochex, or maybe try getting quotes from the banks, HSBC, Barclays etc etc.

Mark

Lifes a bitch, then you marry one, then you die!

Hi Toby,

Have you looked at Nochex, or maybe try getting quotes from the banks, HSBC, Barclays etc etc.

Mark

Cant recommend them personally but Im looking at forcetronix for credit cards, dont offer debit cards other than visa tho..

I agree about the Worldpay charges - they've gone too far. I ditched them and switched to PayPal. I know that PayPal's not that great but it depends what you're selling. My web design customers in Wales don't seem to mind.

i use protx as my payment gateway and have no problems with them. They then pass all transations to streamline who charges a ?250 setup fee and then they go into my bank account

protx charges ?20 a month and it is 40p per debit cart and i think about 2.5% for credit cards

you have the choice of most of the major banks in the UK and world pay and paypal.

Worldpay is owned by royal bank of Scotland so is streamline

you will find that most of the charges are prety much the same except for paypal.

I started with paypal but got a lot of dropped shopping baskets and problems when people were trying to pay with them also refunds have to go into there paypal account not back onto there card

I still offer paypal as a payment method and there price is free setup and about 3% + 20p but if you are doing small trade that is probably the cheapest for you.

you have the choice of most of the major banks in the UK and world pay and paypal. 

Worldpay is owned by royal bank of Scotland so is streamline

you will find that most of the charges are prety much the same except for paypal.

I started with paypal but got a lot of dropped shopping baskets and problems when people were trying to pay with them also refunds have to go into there paypal account not back onto there card

I still offer paypal as a payment method and there price is free setup and about 3% + 20p but if you are doing small trade that is probably the cheapest for you.

Plus if they have any money in their account they have to use this before they use their card, nochex is better.

I have contacted streamline as i too am looking for an alternative to paypal. Streamline charge a setup fee of ?300. They then charge 3% for credit cards, 0.80p for debit cards. Minimum monthly transactions must be over ?15-00, or that will be deducted automatically. Then the supprising thing, and i may have got this wrong, you also need someone like world pay to carry out the transaction for you. Streamline are the merchant account, and worldpay are the payment gateway.

What a lot of money it costs to accept credit cards online.

The other method is to have a terminal, and manually complete the transaction. Again the above charges apply, plus ?20-00 per month for the terminal.

I think i will stick with paypal,nochex and fastpay for now.

I have contacted streamline as i too am looking for an alternative to paypal.  Streamline charge a setup fee of ?300.  They then charge 3% for credit cards, 0.80p for debit cards.  Minimum monthly transactions must be over ?15-00, or that will be deducted automatically.  Then the supprising thing, and i may have got this wrong, you also need someone like world pay to carry out the transaction for you.  Streamline are the merchant account, and worldpay are the payment gateway.

What a lot of money it costs to accept credit cards online.

The other method is to have a terminal, and manually complete the transaction.  Again the above charges apply, plus ?20-00 per month for the terminal.

I think i will stick with paypal,nochex and fastpay for now.

Yes this is correct the price you get charged is dependand on how much trade you can give them

Protx provides the gateway and also checks with the issuing bank that the card is ok to use. Also it does other checks like the postcode of the billing address matches the goods delivery address if the person is on the electrol roll etc and give them a risk rating. Also lets you pre authorise cards to use later etc

• 5 months later...

Sorry to dig up an oldish thread but it seemed the most relevant from my seaching. If not, I'll stand corrected! :thumbsup:

I too am looking at adding direct card payment options to my site, to bolster the PayPal, Check and Cash options I am already using. I think the card option is essential to project a professional look, which I want to do!

So far, the options I have come up with are:

Worldpay : ?200 + ?30pm + 4.5% per transaction.

This seems to be a stand-alone solution but card entry is handled off-side.

Protx + Streamline : ?250 + ?30pm* + 2.5%* transaction.

This is where my understanding gets thinner. Protx handle the on-site card tranaction side of things for a fee of ?20 per month.

Streamline then collect the cash and deposit it into my bank account, for a fee of 2.5% per transaction, or ?10, *depedning on which is the lesser. This also has a setup cost.

I can do the sums to see which will prove cheaper, given my level of business. What I am looking for is feedback on the following:

SSL - presumably, I need an SSL certificate my end? For the small amont my host charges, I will probably get one to ease general paranoia of customers.

Integration - this is key! Anyone got experience and feeback on integration of either of these two solutions for a UK site?

Thanks!

I use HSBC very good

?200 startup fee and ?20 per month charges but only from the first sale which is quite good if still constructing

debit card 40pence and cc neg (2.5-3.6%)

this includes virtual terminal for mail order and free business banking for a year

Thanks - I have set up HSBC for a client and they seem happy. The integration not easy though! Lots of issues including things like needing no postcode in the SSL cert for HSBC secure e-payments to work with, which took about 3 months of pain (working as many evenings and late nights as I could) to step my way through!

I already bank with RBS and am happy with the account. Really looking for a solution that pays straight into there if at all possible.

Archived