• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Where To Start?

BeseechedSpark

I am extremely new to osCommerce and am just looking for a place to start where I can get my bearings.

I took on a project designing a web store for my compan that was being worked on 2 years ago and, though I am pretty computer literate, just have no idea where to start.

Since the project hasn't been touched for two years, does the version of osCommerce need to be updated? How do I apply templates? Am I getting ahead of myself?

I am extremely new to osCommerce and am just looking for a place to start where I can get my bearings.

I took on a project designing a web store for my compan that was being worked on 2 years ago and, though I am pretty computer literate, just have no idea where to start.

Since the project hasn't been touched for two years, does the version of osCommerce need to be updated? How do I apply templates? Am I getting ahead of myself?

Current version of osc is M2.2

The first thing I would say is step back and determine where you want to take the store direction wise.

The design and customisation are "relatively" easy for someone IT literate as you say once you have a sound business strategy.

Templates are in abundance here on the forum STS and others as well as commercial third party ones - just surf the net.

However, if you have the time and skill I would not touch a template as getting your hands dirty with the inner workings of osC means you will understand it far better when things go wrong.

Charles

A kite flies highest AGAINST the wind !

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a lover in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ~ WOO HOO!! What a ride!"

Current version of osc is M2.2

The first thing I would say is step back and determine where you want to take the store direction wise.

The design and customisation are "relatively" easy for someone IT literate as you say once you have a sound business strategy.

Templates are in abundance here on the forum STS and others as well as commercial third party ones - just surf the net.

However, if you have the time and skill I would not touch a template as getting your hands dirty with the inner workings of osC means you will understand it far better when things go wrong.

Charles

I agree about getting my hands dirty with the innerworkings of osC, but really i dont even know where to start. When I go to my site where I can modify the store I get a page that gives me multiple options: configuration, modules, catalog, etc. This page gives me the idea that the only thing I can change is the logistics--what products I'm listing, shipping prices, pictures of my products--but I know there is so much more I can do with it, I just have no idea where to begin and where I have the option of making those changes.

So, where can I do some reading or find some really simple basics?

Archived