• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Database Question..

enragedcow

Okay, one more question for you all:

I cannot seem to restore a backup file for my DB right now. I couldn't figure out why, but now I think it is because my DB has bloated beyond the 8192 Kb file size limit for restoration. Is that possible? (I know it's bigger than that, what I mean is will that cause the error?)

if that is the problem, do any of you have a simlir issue, and a way to work around it?

thanks!

"People tell me I have an inferiority complex. They must be right; after all, they are all smarter than me."

How are you trying to restore? Through a .sql script in phpmyadmin, or the OSC admin tool?

I was doing it through the OSC admin screen. It always worked fine until now, I get a "internal server error" Maybe my server is being silly right now, I just don't know.

I guess the other issue is I'm not 100% sure how to do it with an SQL script either. I know how to backup in phpmyadmin, and I'm fairly certain I know how to restore a file from there (open the DB, go to "SQL" and upload the file?) but I'm not positive on how to restore a backup file I've crated within OSC.

"People tell me I have an inferiority complex. They must be right; after all, they are all smarter than me."

has anyone got any ideas how to easily backup/restore a DB that's over 8 Mb??

If you have phpmyadmin, then I'd use it for both. Export to a zip file, save it off server on your local harddrive, or cd, or what have you, then when you need to restore, use phpmyadmin, and browse to the zip file in the SQL tab. Should be a piece of cake! I'm not familiar with what osc does to create a backup, but if it is an sql file, then you should be able to run it the same way.

Jeremy

If you have phpmyadmin, then I'd use it for both.  Export to a zip file, save it off server on your local harddrive, or cd, or what have you, then when you need to restore, use phpmyadmin, and browse to the zip file in the SQL tab.  Should be a piece of cake!  I'm not familiar with what osc does to create a backup, but if it is an sql file, then you should be able to run it the same way.

Jeremy

Yea, I had tried this method, but myphpadmin has an ~8 mb limit on filesize as well... so that's not going to work. I could split the files, but I had trouble with getting that to work as well, unfortunately.

I've actually find a pretty simple (hahah) workaround. I had originally build my DB in access anyway, and still use it as my primary editing tool. Therefore, I already my ODBC Drivers installed, with all the OSC tables linked into my access file. I just created some append/update queries within access to easily populate all of the fields in OSC... so now if I ever need to quickly re-build my entire product database, I just run 2 or 3 queries and I'm done.

The only downside is now I don't have an "easy" way to backup other information (orders, customer info, etc) but I think I might do more linking within access and run that route. Alternately, I'm getting SSH access to my server tomorrow, and might have better luck just running mySQL dump/restore commands from the shell.

Archived