• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Too Many Product Attributes

noelc

In our web store we have some products that have hundreds of attributes, so the attributes table in our database has grown pretty large. An unexpected side effect of this has been that adding attributes to products in our admin section has become a very slow process.

Could anyone offer me suggestions on how to alleviate that? Or another way to add attributes to products where many attributes would not cause a problem like this?

Any suggesitons or ideas appreciated.

Noel

dont use a shared server, as that is most likely your problem, bogging down sql way too much

Thanks Mibble - I don't think that is the solution because we also have an offline version running on a dedicated server (only pIII dual processor but still chunky enough) on our local LAN.

While this is definitely faster, dealing with attributes is still a really slow process even on the offline server.

if u dont need the attributes every time while editing products, turn off the visual display

Thanks Mibble - as always any feedback (even a one liner or a guess) is much appreciated.

I thought I was fairly familiar with osC but I am not at all sure what you are talking about here - could you clarify?

Cheers,

Noel

Don't use the admin panel to deal with attributes. If you invest a bit of time studying a test db with a couple of products and attributes, you can see just what data is required, in which tables, and how the attributes and options get linked to specific products. You can then use a spread sheet to help write scripts of SQL commands that will insert the products and attributes directly into the db, without driving yourself insane trying to do it through admin.

Jeremy

Don't use the admin panel to deal with attributes.  If you invest a bit of time studying a test db with a couple of products and attributes, you can see just what data is required, in which tables, and how the attributes and options get linked to specific products.  You can then use a spread sheet to help write scripts of SQL commands that will insert the products and attributes directly into the db, without driving yourself insane trying to do it through admin.

Jeremy

From this I am guessing that the database queries coming from the admin section could use some refinement (seems no way SQL is that slow with just a few thousand rows so it must be the queries) - does anyone know of work done in this area, or some pointers to get me started on debugging these (will share)

Also, what about the queries coming from the catalog section? Does anyone know if these been optimized for speed?

the bigger our site gets the more of a problem this may become - we chose SQL based to avoid that ironically enough

Archived