• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Shipping: Is There a Way to have mutiple options?

ayamopamo

I have been looking for several days for a shipping module that I can add that allows me to customize the checkout. Here is what I need.

1. a flat rate for us orders. Will need ability to add insurance if customer specifies

2. a flat rate for mexico/canada: a set rate for each additional item, plus ability to add insurance if customer needs

3. a flat rate for all other international orders outside of canada and mexico, with set rate for additional items, and insurance

I have looked at the contributions and saw "First Item $X, Additional Items $Y Shipping", and think it is a close one, but it doesn't give ability to add insurance, and not sure if I could use it for 3 seperate things (us, mex/canada and international)

If any one has any input or suggestions, please let me know. I have been trying to figure out a solution to this for days and feel utterly lost.

Many thanks!

I am not sure about the insurace thing but osc is set up so that it will only show the option for the zone you select if you select a zone in the shipping module.

I have a store set up with 2 different zones with 2 different shipping costs. I just copied the table rate files and created a second by renaming them table2. Should be able to do that for an unlimmited number of zones if you have to, no matter which shipping module you use.

I did a quick search in contributions and this looks like it could maybe help

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contri...pping+insurance

or this

Could probably double/triple up on them like I did table rates for your different zones.

Wendy James

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

oscommerce question, Today, 12:19 AM

Delete Post Quote Post

Group: Community Member

Member No.: 63,274

hello- i saw your post on the oscommerce forum for someone who was looking for help with handling fees on their store checkout. I would like to ask if you might know the answer to this question. Any help you can offer me would be greatly appreciated.

i need to offer postal insurance as an option for u.s. orders, and mandatory for international orders. would this be best done as a 'handling charge' and if so, then is there a way of specifying this in relation only to certain types of orders? (ie: international)

thank you very much for any help you can offer,

sincerely,

suchil coffman

[email protected]

If I understand, I think wendyjames has pointed you in the right direction for issues 2 & 3

or this

for issue 1, you may add in the products options "Add Insurance" , with the attributes "YES(+5.00)" or "NO(+0.00)" or whatever?

wazu :thumbsup:

If I understand, I think wendyjames has pointed you in the right direction for issues 2 & 3

or this

for issue 1, you may add in the products options "Add Insurance" , with the attributes "YES(+5.00)" or "NO(+0.00)" or whatever?

wazu  :thumbsup:

thank you for responding. is there a way of offering insurance that can be voluntarily added for us orders, but also making it mandatory for all international orders? These are the criteria my client has for his shipping formula.

I have been looking for several days for a shipping module that I can add that allows me to customize the checkout. Here is what I need.

1.  a flat rate for us orders.  Will need ability to add insurance if customer specifies

2.  a flat rate for mexico/canada:  a set rate for each additional item, plus ability to add insurance if customer needs

3.  a flat rate for all other international orders outside of canada and mexico, with set rate for additional items, and insurance

My suggestion: use Zone based shipping, but add it twice with 2 diffferent names (uninsured and insured, for example).

Reasonably easy to mod the zone.php file for this, so I'll leave it as an exercise for the reader :-0

You can then have the first "uninsured zone" kick in for US, mexico and canada zones, and international for all 3.

So international ships will only see the "insured" one, but us, canada and mexico will see both uninsured and insured.

The "zone" file allows you to offer different rates based on the zone the package is going to, so this should work well for you

thank you for responding. is there a way of offering insurance that can be voluntarily added for us orders, but also making it mandatory for all international orders?  These are the criteria my client has for his shipping formula.

Hi- I did find an option in one of the contributions and am going to try it out now. Thank you both for your suggestions. On the shipping note, does anyone know about zone abbreviations?

I have 3 zones set up, and have tried using both the 2 and 3 letter code (ie: FR and FRA), but get $0 on my shipping total at the checkout. Can anyone tell me where I might look to solve this problem?

many thanks! :)

Hi- I did find an option in one of the contributions and am going to try it out now. Thank you both for your suggestions.  On the shipping note, does anyone know about zone abbreviations?

I have 3 zones set up, and have tried using both the 2 and 3 letter code (ie: FR and FRA), but get $0 on my shipping total at the checkout. Can anyone tell me where I might look to solve this problem?

many thanks! :)

i have installed the insurance module which will allow me to add postal insurance for my international orders, but in viewing the checkout, the insurance does not display or add into the total, and international sample orders stay at $0 for shipping, instead of the higher rate. US shipping seems to be ok. Can anyone tell me where my problem might be coming from?

This is the checkout page:

https://host316.ipowerweb.com/~dvdsorce/eco...bca530b4b753714

which module did you install?

Hi Wendy- thanks for replying. I installed the 'insurance_shipping' module. Since I posted, i've been playing around with it and have figured out everything except for a 'zones' issue for the other contribution that it works with. (the 'first plus zones' contribution) My only remaining problem at this point is just the listing of the countries within the zones. If i put more than one country code in each of the 4 zones I have to work with, then I get an error, no shipping and no insurance. Still trying to figure that out.

You could just have the 2 "zone-based" methods lurking.... some customising of code needed but hey that's why you went open source right :-)

1) create 2 copies of includes/modules/shipping/zones.php and includes/languages/english/modules/shipping/zones.php

(called insured and uninsured for want of a better word)

2) Modify both of these to refer to "INSURED" or "UNINSURED" instead of ZONE (and also the lower case versions)

3) set up the postage rates properly for each zone.

4) go back into oscommerce and add in the 2 new shipping rates in the shipping admin screens

Right, You can now do 1 of 2 things -- either go into the uninsured code and change the function "uninsured" to include a line to switch $this->enabled = false before returning

(e.g I had a similar line which went ... If ($total_order_cost > 50 ) $this-> enabled = false --- to turn off uninsured shipping for orders under ?50.00

The item.php has some code in place to check the current zone -- you could modify this to use "IN" instead of "=" and put a list in MODULE_SHIPPING_ITEM_ZONE like (1,2) to handle more than one zone.

Alternativly, set the uninsured shipping cost to the same as the insured shipping cost for the zones you wish to only send with insurance and insure the parcel either way :-)

Hope this helps.

Archived