• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

My most recent osC store

hey everyone, I'm a regular on the forum (not too much posting, just alot of reading at this point). I'm a big fan of oscommerce and really push it to all my clients, it really is an excellent peice of work and it provides a cost-effective (open-source means more money for design and development) cart for the people I work with. Here is the most recent site, it's for a friend/client of mine in Hawaii. I would like everyones opinion on it. Feel free to make an order, it isn't active (hence no SSL cert yet) yet so I'd like everyon to check it out. The only area that has any parts is the wheels & tires section, no time to upload anything else since its only testing right now. I've also got ALOT of contribs (as well as some custom ones that my programmer is going to double over for me before I add them to the contribs section) that you can and cant see, as well as some that you would be able to see, but I havent taken advantage of them yet (like category descriptions). everyone let me know what you think! thanks!

http://www.iprecision.net/catalog/

Holy God that is slow to load. You really need some sort of thumb contrib. I mean 1423.56 KB for a 120px by 90px thumb. There is just no excuse for that. And your also loading all those images for the DHTML scroller. Your site is 341.18 seconds to load on 56K, and thats just for your landing page. They say you have 3 seconds before people leave your site. They aren't going to sit around for 5 1/2 minutes to view your site. Try limiting your page from the current 17megs that you have to under a meg. Espically your landing page

I'm personally not a very big fan of DHTML scrollers. I think they look kinda cheap, but thats just my opinion. I think that it's nice to have some motion on a page, but it has to be done right. Yours would probably look better if your thumbs weren't so distorted. I think that you would be better off with just the one piece of flash. That's nice and subtle.

I can't really read the text on your seach button. I like the rollover though.

Looks like you still need to add content to all your information pages. Thats a big must.

Clicking on the header banner should take me to the home page. Your links at the top are broken.

Sorry to sound so harsh, but you need to view your site from somewhere other than your local machine. The site needs quite a bit of work to get it anywhere near production. Start with a thumb conrib. That will make your site 10000 times better.

osCommerce is a great piece of software with wonderful contributions.

Spend some time in the contribution area. There are a lot of gems there.

Holy God that is slow to load.  You really need some sort of thumb contrib.  I mean 1423.56 KB for a 120px by 90px thumb.  There is just no excuse for that.  And your also loading all those images for the DHTML scroller.  Your site is 341.18 seconds to load on 56K, and thats just for your landing page.  They say you have 3 seconds before people leave your site.  They aren't going to sit around for 5 1/2 minutes to view your site.  Try limiting your page from the current 17megs that you have to under a meg.  Espically your landing page

I'm personally not a very big fan of DHTML scrollers.  I think they look kinda cheap, but thats just my opinion.  I think that it's nice to have some motion on a page, but it has to be done right.  Yours would probably look better if your thumbs weren't so distorted.  I think that you would be better off with just the one piece of flash.  That's nice and subtle.

I can't really read the text on your seach button.  I like the rollover though.

Looks like you still need to add content to all your information pages.  Thats a big must.

Clicking on the header banner should take me to the home page.  Your links at the top are broken.

Sorry to sound so harsh, but you need to view your site from somewhere other than your local machine.  The site needs quite a bit of work to get it anywhere near production.  Start with a thumb conrib.  That will make your site 10000 times better.

the problem with these scrollers is that it makes the interaction very slow. Your rollovers are slow because of it, loose it or make a flash for it.

and a thumbnail should be no larger than approx. 4K not 86K

Treasurer MFC

the thumbnails are temps, they were the first images i could grab from the popup in the admin panel and are there for temp purposes ONLY. trust me, there will be no ungodly huge files on the pushed site, this is a simple test. with that said, none of the links work at the top (and no text in the information pages) because its a temp test site. its simply to gauge on the overall look. ill drop the image sizes down so its not so cumbersome, but there was no intention for them (or the broken links at the top) to stya that way. this is just a gauge on design.

update: spent the last 3 minutes installing a thumbnailer. I've put them in before but it did slip my mind, so I'm glad ryan just kicked my ass over it, it reminded me to put it up. :lol:

I like the overall look except that the information box background is so much lighter than everyting else your eyes get pulled to that instead of the navigation links. Should have that look the same as the other boxes

Wendy James

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

I like the overall look except that the information box background is so much lighter than everyting else your eyes get pulled to that instead of the navigation links. Should have that look the same as the other boxes

I agree 100%, I'm going to screw with that and see what I can come up with.

Archived