• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Problem with FTP and my hosts

ckyshop.co.uk

I am having FTP problems.

I have tried using all available programs I can, but my uploads just get to 100% but never actually complete, it just leaves a file of size 0kb on the server. Downloads work just fine.

Some files are OK, such as test.php or test.htm. It's just trying to upload whos_online.php or something produces the error.

I am using WS_FTP and get the error 451 everytime.

Because my hosts can upload test.php or folder /test/ they say the problem is at my end.

Since I have tried on a different computer I say the problem's theirs.

Using CuteFTP or internet explorer doesn't work - nor does port forwarding - nor does turning my firewall off.

Please help - this one's really baffled me.

I can't do anything without being able to upload.

Thanks for any help/comments.

Regards,

Lewis Hill

No I have over 900mb free and 1000+ files space free.

You mentioned you are behind a fire wall. If software, turn it off. If hardware, you may have to place your computer in a "DMZ" zone to do transfers. This will depend on the firewall set up at your hosting company, and the settings for the ftp program they are using.

Also, using ws-ftp, you can toggle passive mode on and off to see if that helps. Normal setting for file transfers when you have a firewall is passive.

GEOTEX from Houston, TX

(George)

You mentioned you are behind a fire wall. If software, turn it off. If hardware, you may have to place your computer in a "DMZ" zone to do transfers. This will depend on the firewall set up at your hosting company, and the settings for the ftp program they are using.

Also, using ws-ftp, you can toggle passive mode on and off to see if that helps. Normal setting for file transfers when you have a firewall is passive.

OK good - putting the computer in a DMZ worked.

But is there a more efficient/safer way of doing it?

I have port 21 forwarded but that doesn't help. How can I find out what port is needed, to avoid having the DMZ?

Cheers

Regards,

Lewis Hill

OK good - putting the computer in a DMZ worked.

But is there a more efficient/safer way of doing it?

I have port 21 forwarded but that doesn't help. How can I find out what port is needed, to avoid having the DMZ?

Cheers

Depending on the firewall, you may be able to specify that ws-ftp is permitted to bypass the firewall. If that doesn't work, and I haven't been able to get that option to work on my firewall, you will get some protection if you have XP SP2 and it's firewall, or you can install the free version of Zone Alarm, which will give better protection. I have XP firewall and ZA-pro both installed, and get a high level of protection even in the DMZ zone. This is a problem your hosting company could solve in the config file for the ftp program they use, but probably won't.

HTH

GEOTEX from Houston, TX

(George)

Depending on the firewall, you may be able to specify that ws-ftp is permitted to bypass the firewall. If that doesn't work, and I haven't been able to get that option to work on my firewall, you will get some protection if you have XP SP2 and it's firewall, or you can install the free version of Zone Alarm, which will give better protection. I have XP firewall and ZA-pro both installed, and get a high level of protection even in the DMZ zone. This is a problem your hosting company could solve in the config file for the ftp program they use, but probably won't.

HTH

I'm using a NETGEAR DG834G and I can't see options for software.

Could I tell from the WS_FTP log what ports are needed? See below for a snippet of the log from the failed upload:

[-1,07/05/2005 17:28:34,4]Starting request

[2,07/05/2005 17:28:35,0]TYPE A

[2,07/05/2005 17:28:35,0]200 Type set to A

[2,07/05/2005 17:28:35,0]PORT 192,168,0,2,5,209

[2,07/05/2005 17:28:35,0]200 PORT command successful

[2,07/05/2005 17:28:35,0]STOR whos_online.php

[2,07/05/2005 17:28:35,0]150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for whos_online.php

[2,07/05/2005 17:30:41,3]Error reading response from server.

[2,07/05/2005 17:30:41,0]# transferred 9412 bytes in 126.031 seconds, 597.439 Bps ( 74.680 Bps), transfer failed.

[2,07/05/2005 17:30:41,3]It appears that the connection is dead.  Attempting reconnect...

Regards,

Lewis Hill

OK - now it has stopped working again.

The DMZ is still in place etc.

Does anyone have any more ideas?

Getting really sick of this now.

Regards,

Lewis Hill

• 2 years later...
I'm using a NETGEAR DG834G and I can't see options for software.

Could I tell from the WS_FTP log what ports are needed? See below for a snippet of the log from the failed upload:

Clear the WS_FTP log!

Don't ask why... I just had the same problem and am clear now.

Cheers

Archived