• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Which merchant would you go with?

ereed28214

Since I'm having problems with Verisign I think I'm gonna go with a different merchant. I'm gonna continue using verisign as my certificate but not as my cc processing. I'm thinking paypal.....what others would you consider that are good? By the way if I use paypal I know I must have an account with paypal but would my customers need paypal account also or would they just enter their cc number on my site and that would be enough? Opinions welcome.

Your customers woul dnot need to have a PayPal account of their own. It depends where in the world you are located, but if in the USA there is another system called SkipJack (linked to GeoTrust) for which there is an osCommerce module and this works fine.

If based in the UK I'd recommend HSBC e-Secure, although it is expensive to use it is very professional.

Vger

Your customers woul dnot need to have a PayPal account of their own.  It depends where in the world you are located, but if in the USA there is another system called SkipJack (linked to GeoTrust) for which there is an osCommerce module and this works fine.

If based in the UK I'd recommend HSBC e-Secure, although it is expensive to use it is very professional.

Vger

Wow thanks! So basically the customer enters the cc number and it works through paypal. I don't know why I was thinking they had to have an account. But I'm sure if they do have account then that would probably work if they went direct with paypal. Ok, let me install this paypal module this week and I'll let you know how it turns out.

Wow thanks!  So basically the customer enters the cc number and it works through paypal.  I don't know why I was thinking they had to have an account.  But I'm sure if they do have account then that would probably work if they went direct with paypal.  Ok, let me install this paypal module this week and I'll let you know how it turns out.

you may run into problems with paypal if your customers had a paypal account and closed it. I have lost several sales due to this, but overall a pretty good experience. There are no fees for partial or full refunds, which is a big plus. Another consideration is the amount of the sale. There are limits on paypal, so if you sell large orders check on your maximum sale. I also have authorize.net as a backup now for the orders that don't go through paypal.

if in the US, look at costco.com which gets you decent rates with various merchant accounts, also they do not charge for early disconnection if you decide to close up. click on servicess. best rates i have found . ..

Since I'm having problems with Verisign I think I'm gonna go with a different merchant.  I'm gonna continue using verisign as my certificate but not as my cc processing.  I'm thinking paypal.....what others would you consider that are good?  By the way if I use paypal I know I must have an account with paypal but would my customers need paypal account also or would they just enter their cc number on my site and that would be enough?  Opinions welcome.

They don't HAVE to have a paypal account to pay- however they are transferred to the paypal site (it's not processed on your site like some of the others). Also if they do not have a paypal account- then you need to install the paypal IPN contribution & an add-on or your customers will have to re-enter all their shipping and billing info (it does not transfer automatically without the contrib and an addon). Paypal fees are low and i've been using them for 4 years now. There are glitches sometimes and I have a lot of customers that hate paypal but overall no real complaints. One thing is paypal has buyer/seller protection - but only for the seller if we ship to a "confirmed" address (which means the person linked their checking account to their account not just a credit card) and maybe 1 in 20 are confirmed- so if someone wants their money back- they are getting it. So that part is kind of rough although i've only had problems a few times in thousands of transactions. Oh I thought of one more thing- they take their site down for "mainenance" A LOT. Usually a few times a week like from 2 am til 6 am and payments won't go through so that sucks because a lot of people are middle of the night shoppers!

I also use Authorize.net. I like them- and it's a bit more professional than paypal sinply because I can take phone orders etc.. and with paypal you can not.

Good Luck!!

Archived