• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Hermit needs feedback

Jospin

Hi all,

I've been running My Site with OS for half a year now, but I'm working alone on it so I'm afraid I'm a bit too self-satisfied with it :blush:

The layout is quite basic, let's say it's on purpose...Maybe too cheap?

I'm sure I've missed a lot of things in order to achieve better sales, so any comment is welcome. Please criticize, I need it!

Thanks in advance,

Joseph

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

dont want to sound horrible but you asked for advice so here goes.

I didnt bother looking around your site for two reasons.

1, its very stock just a few different colour so not a great deal to look at and at a guest all the other images and stuff will be stock.

2, if you have been up for 6+ mys why have you no page rank, well i think i can tell you, your meta tags are poor to say the least and you keywords, will get you will get none or very little customers from them.

So my advice is, look around here for info about meta tags and designing you site better with a few contributions.

sorry too sound hard.

good luck anyway

Hi,

thank you for taking the time to have a look!

This is what I get with a pagerank lookup at seochat:

Results for: your URL's

URL PageRank PageRank Bar

http://www.e-papermodels.com/ 4

PR4 is so bad? :'(

And the 'very stock' thing was part of the question. Do customers really care? I mean, how many know what is osC, and when they know, why a stock layout should prevent them to buy? (and yes, we do have customers ;) )

Anyway, thanks for your answer and I'll see to improve the design

Regards,

Joseph

Well it is very stock. Is stock bad? Not necessarily. Do customers recognize stock? Well, depends on whether the person is observant. Before I knew what Osc was I would visit online stores and think to myself I think this site looks just like that site. Or wow crazy that other site had exactly the same words as this one. Thats kind of how I found osc - I liked a site that was using it. I think what may make it have negative connotations to it is: the store owner doesn't really care about how visually pleasing the store is and they are lazy to use a cookie cutter store. People want originality in every aspect of life. We don't want to walk around looking at people who are all dressed the same etc.. Our online stores are a method to express ourselves and let the customers get a feel for who we are- what we are all about. If giving your customer the image that you take the easy way and follow everyone else well then thats your choice. If you are simply in the business to sell- then staying with stock is right for you.

I think having a site that is visually appealing increases business. People that visit a site and really feel welcome and comfortable in it will tell others about it and increase sales. A site that is just functional won't get word of mouth (unless of course you are selling an awesome original product which just about no one is!).

Anyway- onto the site.

The charged prices are the ones figuring in the catalog at the moment of the order. Prices are net.

Our flat shipping fees are:

Europe: 8 EUR/order

USA, Canada, rest of the world - airmail : 15 EUR for an order under 200 EUR and 25 EUR for an order above 200 EUR)

That quote from the shipping and payment is worded weird. and there is a random end parenthesis ) with no beginning one.

The buttons (continue, buy now, etc.. ) don't fit your site.

Your logo is not only hard to read it looks funny, poor quality or something. Put some work into it. That alone turns me off of the site.

On the about us page the email address is cut in a weird way

E-mail: contact@e-

papermodels.com

since the box is small its forcing the break- so YOU force the break- like right after email: to keep the address together

Pages take a long time to load on dialup. Especially the printed catalog- I just gave up after a few minutes and backed out of it.

Include your address and phone # on your contact page. People expect to see it there and don't want to hunt it down on other pages.

Whats with the tank? Is it a model??

Get rid of the requests since at the bottom of the page & the added to our catelog stuff- no one needs to know that.

According to the Google toolbar- your page rank is 0.

This is worded weird

Our offer ranges from simple paper airplanes to extremely detailed models

Shouldn't it be Our offers range from... Or better yet Our products range.. or our models range...

Thats all I've got.. I would say the most impt thing is work on your logo/header!

Good luck.

That quote from the shipping and payment is worded weird. and there is a random end parenthesis ) with no beginning one.

uh, I'm not a native speaker, I'll have to reword that

Whats with the tank? Is it a model??

Yes it's a model we sell

Get rid of the requests since at the bottom of the page & the added to our catelog stuff- no one needs to know that.

Good idea

I would say the most impt thing is work on your logo/header!

Yeah I had the same feeling, but I'm really bad at graphic things :blush:

According to the Google toolbar- your page rank is 0

e-papermodels.com shows a PR0, but www.e-papermodels.com has PR4. Which one is correct ?!?

Finally, thank you very much for your time to review the site and give me advices :thumbsup:

Best regards,

Joseph

And the 'very stock' thing was part of the question. Do customers really care? I mean, how many know what is osC, and when they know, why a stock layout should prevent them to buy? (and yes, we do have customers ;) )

Actually, I think you also need to consider the audience you're catering to on THIS site ;)

When we ask for feedback here, you getting feedback from people who have seen 1,000 OSC based sites, and who design said sites for a living or for a hobby. So these are "experts" in the field who want something new and different.

The average customer doesn't care about "stock" installs. They might notice stores look similar, but it's not nearly as bad as it might seem when you read posts here.

This isn't to say that feedback here is not useful, I'm not saying that at all! On the contrary, I've found this forum to be invaluable. Just keep in mind that you're soliciting opinions from experts in a sense, so don't be surprised if your site doesn't measure up to thier expectations. Do you get what I mean?

Anyway, yea, your store is very "stock". However, it's functional and it does the trick. It's not ugly, not poorly laid out, or anything else. Does it wow me? No, but then again, neither does my store. As long as it work and you get customers though, that's the important thing!

"People tell me I have an inferiority complex. They must be right; after all, they are all smarter than me."

Actually, I think you also need to consider the audience you're catering to on THIS site  ;)

Thanks, I'm feeling a little better after reading your post :D

Any idea about the two different pageranks I get?

Regards,

Joseph

Thanks, I'm feeling a little better after reading your post :D

Any idea about the two different pageranks I get?

Regards,

Joseph

Both are correct.....

The reason one has a page and one does not is that your site structure and links are targeted towards your website address with www and not without.

Try this..go to google.com and serch for:

link:www.e-papermodels.com

and then search for

link:e-papermodels.com

Hello,

Ok forget the stock issue if you like the site thats fine.

But your meta tags are poor as i said above and even if you get a page rank of 6 i would still be amazed it you had any hits unless you pay for them.

You links are MSN 130 all the other engines 0 that is poor, try submit to hundrens of free directories, more more links the more pop your site will be.

meta tags

Title: 139 Paper Models by Scale Paper International - Paper Models - Card Models - Maquettes en papier - Kartonmodelle - Kami-Mokei | SPI Shop Online

Description: 124 Paper Models by Scale Paper International - Online shop of paper models. Downloads and Worldwide delivery. Secure Payment...

Keywords: 105 airplanes,paper airplanes,paper airplane,maquettes papier,papermodels,minibox,miniature wargame,miniature

Meta tags analysis.

Title: This tag contains too many characters.

This tag contains 139 characters. This is too many for what we would consider a 'robot friendly' web page. The maximum number of characters we recommend for this tag is 80.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Description: Description meta tag contains no errors.

This tag contains 124 characters.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Description relevancy to page content is fair.

The Description relevancy to page content is 76%.

Keywords: Keyword relevancy to page content is very poor.

The keywords relevancy to page content is 50%.

Robots: Found no robots meta tag.

This tag is not really required but helps spiders to index the web page.

Author: Found no author meta tag.

This tag is not really required but helps for your (company) name recognizing.

Web page analysis.

The size of the web page.

The size of the web page is 40836 bytes.

The web page load time.

The web page load time is 5 seconds.

As you can see from above this is not good for your site, try and use more more two and three keyword and work on you content, all search engines look for good page content.

Again we are here to you and ask help of others but and it is up to you how you use it.

Good luck

But your meta tags are poor as i said above and even if you get a page rank of 6 i would still be amazed it you had any hits unless you pay for them.

OK, thank you, I will try to improve that. We are actually getting about 700-800 unique visitors per day, but the funny thing is that they come from google through our old ugly html site (hidden link just after the copyright in the footer...) :-" I never actually managed to have the osC site better ranked, and most of the visits come to products pages, not to the home page

I use the dynamic metatags contribution, where can I add the 'robots' tag (index, follow and such)? Could someone tell me which code I have to insert into the meta_tag.php file? The files just allows Title, Description and Keywords meta tags.

Thanks and best regards,

Joseph

Antway of getting visits is fair game : )

i dont use a contribution, ( but guess i should )

All i did was copy and paste this lot below in to the pages i use index/follow.

<head>

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=<?php echo CHARSET; ?>">

<TITLE></TITLE>

<META NAME="page-topic" CONTENT="">

<META NAME="Keywords" CONTENT="">

<META NAME="expires" CONTENT="NEVER">

<META NAME="page-type" CONTENT="">

<META NAME="audience" CONTENT="All">

<META NAME="author" CONTENT="">

<META NAME="copyright" CONTENT="">

<META NAME="robots" CONTENT="INDEX,FOLLOW">

<META NAME="revisit-after" CONTENT="7 days">

<META HTTP-EQUIV="CONTENT-LANGUAGE" CONTENT="EN">

<meta name="netinsert" content="0.0.1.12.9.1">

<base href="<?php echo (($request_type == 'SSL') ? HTTPS_SERVER : HTTP_SERVER) . DIR_WS_CATALOG; ?>">

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="stylesheet.css">

</head>

the one above is semi blank you can use it if you like or hopefully someone could help you with that contribution.

Regards

Install SEO URL by Chemo.

Many search engine will not see dynamic pages.. URL's that contains & ? = and so on.

SEO URL is easy to install.. i dont know the link to it off hand.. but search for it. Instead of http://www.e-papermodels.com/index.php?cName=accessories it would be something like http://www.e-papermodels.com/accessories-c-10.html

And your categories links will change to reflect that as well.

Hope this helps.

one more thing, USE contributions to your advantage. they are there to help you, don't ignore them. like what they have mentioned, why wouldnt you use header tag contribution?

best of luck.

Okay, i should have gathered my thoughts before keep posting repeatedly LOL i apologize.

hopefully after this one, i'll just go away.

anyway, download the GIMP if you have little budget.. or none(its free alternative to photoshop.. :) You can create clean crisp images and logos... experience not required. Just make sure you change the resolution to atleast 100x100 when creating a new image, then save it as gif or something so that it won't pixelate like the one you currently have. This is way to easy to create logos that is just text.

Thanks :) I do have the SEO urls installed, but I stayed on cName and pName, because my ISP doesn't want to support mod_rewrite for security reasons (are they fooling me?)

Google seems to index the pages even with a "?".

Anyway, during the last week I have been visiting lots of osCommerce sites, and some are really superb - I feel I'll have to do something with my stock layout :blink:

Best regards,

Joseph

(kinda bumping :-" )

I followed most of your advices and installed a few contribs:

- thumbnailer

- newsdesk

- new buttons, shadows

- redone the logo

- redone the meta tags (better relevancy, ...)

So it still looks stock (somewhat smoothed though). What do you think of it?

Another question: with all those contributions, I now have 18 (!) boxes all over the page. Isn't it too much !?

Thanks in advance for your comments

The site is here

Joseph

I tend to take the opposite approach - I strip stuff out to make a site better, rather than adding stuff to it.

You have sort of answered your own question - yes, I think you have far too many boxes. Also, your site seems a little unresponsive - the way your page loads with all those box graphics building up bit by bit looks messy - this is partly a limitation of using tables for layout. Personally, I would lose the box shadows and cut the graphics usage down to the minimum you can.

Oh, and you need to find a better host that won't hoodwink you with "we don't use mod rewrite for security reasons" nonesense. It is one of the most persuasive arguments for using apache in the first place, and they don't support it???

Archived