• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Starting from scratch

Hi guys,

Its taking me quite a long time to get the look and feel of my site right, and I haven't got there yet.

In the meantime of me working on the site, im buying stock. Im starting from scratch, and was just wondering how many other people started form scratch?

Without a business they had running before, and how they started out?

Just curious... How did you decide to take that risk? and how much did you decide to invest?

Hi mysticaleast, I have also started from scratch, and although I've been in CAD and graphic design for many years I had no previous experience what so ever of PHP, I only had a minor grasp of html and I have found os-c to be the most powerful tool I've used, I have yet to complete my site and I know I may have headaches when it comes to ensuring security is tight for credit cards etc, but I'll get there.

I'm still working full time on the nightshift at my family's factory in Kent(UK) and I've spent all our savings on machines & stock (stacked and operated from my wife and my bedroom and diningroom!) but the central piece of the business is the website, so it needed to be top notch I've been downloading dreamweaver & photoshop templates for weeks until I found os-c, and I'm sure that anyone even in the know would be hard pushed to find a better looking more functional e-sommerce solution even with paying vast amounts of cash for it.

This open source solution was a complete saviour for me and as soon as possible I will be sponsoring this concern.

Regards

a very happy

Mark B

We started from scratch as well. I only knew how to spell PHP. I'd done a bit in other languages in college, but definitely no MySQL (a little academic database study) or PHP.

Now, it's fun. I still have plenty to learn WRT PHP, but I don't stink as bad as I used to. :)

-jared

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I started from scratch with our jewellery site 4 years ago and had a struggling and tiny little thing going with the basic html site I had managed to cobble together. We stumbled upon osc about 20 months ago, and have barely been able to keep up with the sites growth. To give you a rough idea (without any hard figures - never know what competition is taking notes....), in the jewellery trade, November and December are great months, January and February not so good - in fact, they're pants, the worst two months of the year (except the occassional fella who remembers Valentines Day and bothers to buy a gift). Anyway, January 2005, we took more in the first 10 days than we had taken for all of November and December 2003. That is what I call serious growth!

And to think if I hadnt stumbled on oscommerce, I was about 20 minutes away from paying my host ?40 a month for a much less powerful bit of script which would never have seen us grow this quickly, easily or comfortably. I've just signed up as Community Sponsor as a little way of giving something back. On the offchance anyone from the Team happens to read this, THANK YOU :thumbsup: from the bottom of my heart. This software has given my family independence, a drastic reduction in stress, and above all, some time to be a family!

Anyone looking at this who is just starting out, hang on in there, the results are worth it (though never believe in OVERNIGHT success - you have to work at everything), and even if the site doesnt do everything you hope, you have learnt a good bit of programming knowledge, hopefully made some good friends in the forums, and created a fully functioning web store. ;)

Please note - if I have suggested a contrib above, it doesnt mean it will work! Most of the contribs are not ones I've used, but may be useful for your particular problem....

Have you tried a refined search? Chances are your problem has already been dealt with elsewhere on the forums.....

if (stumped == true) {

return(square_one($start_over)

} else {

$random_query = tep_fetch_answer($forum_query)

}

I started out as a PERL and SQL programmer! One day I got the brilliant idea of opening a business to try to earn some extra cash. After researching the perl carts, I found this one, and php was not all that different from perl.

Starting out, we only did 100% dropship. Then we started carrying about 50% inventory. After learning what a hassle shipping in high volume is, we've decided to revert back to 100% dropshipping, lol.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

Hi guys,

Its taking me quite a long time to get the look and feel of my site right, and I haven't got there yet.

In the meantime of me working on the site, im buying stock. Im starting from scratch, and was just wondering how many other people started form scratch?

Without a business they had running before, and how they started out?

Just curious... How did you decide to take that risk? and how much did you decide to invest?

Heya mysticaleast, I have also started from scratch. Although I have not yet implimented oscommerce although it is comming soon :thumbsup:

It's not easy but very rewarding, keep it up!

I am about to begin my life as a self-employed person (after having one too many bad bosses).

I'm starting a business from the raw beginnings.. No money yet (I do have an investor who is really good with business startup advice and of course cash :P ).. This is to say that I'm not a complete nobbo at business I do know a bit...

I'm going to begin online with an OSC store and hoping to expand in the long-run to a B/M store.. It's really daunting. REALLY... but it's not puting me off. I'm having nightmares about having ?5,000 worth of stock and nobody buying it, or my website going down, or finding out that I'm in breach of some law or other...

Wonder if anyone else had these doubts when they were about to go live? Bet i'm not alone.

Like some of the others on this thread, I used to be HTML only and never even wanted to think about PHP.. OSC is really a crash-course, isn't it? I only found out yesterday that in PHP, hyperlinks don't have quote marks in them, otherwise they point to local files.. even "http://"s! Wrote my first ever .php file and I'm slowly getting somewhere.

Otherwise, I'm confident about it all. The OSC is a really good little toy if you're a complete clueless about programming or if you were born with

<?php 
include("666.php"); 
?>

tattooed onto your back. :)

The journey begins and I'm wearing clean underwear in case something happens....

Archived