• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Your Feedback would be great!

enragedcow

Okay, I've got my store pretty much done (I even put the "powered by OSCommerce footer back in after realizing I had accidentally removed it!).

I am pretty satisfied with the results; but I'd like some input from all of you experts out there.

I do have some known issues that I'm sure will come up:

1.) I don't have a fixed width setup going. Honestly, I designed the site so that when it scales down to an 800x600 it still looks good; but without fixing at that resolution, people with large monitors can actually USE thier bigger monitor.

2.) I have a few assorted categories without products... I'm still populating.

3.) I know some buttons don't match the color scheme yet; again, I'm still working on that.

Anything else you like/don't like would be great to know!

Thanks in advance!

My Site (www.tankguys.com)

"People tell me I have an inferiority complex. They must be right; after all, they are all smarter than me."

Okay, I've got my store pretty much done (I even put the "powered by OSCommerce footer back in after realizing I had accidentally removed it!).

I am pretty satisfied with the results; but I'd like some input from all of you experts out there.

I do have some known issues that I'm sure will come up:

1.) I don't have a fixed width setup going.  Honestly, I designed the site so that when it scales down to an 800x600 it still looks good; but without fixing at that resolution, people with large monitors can actually USE thier bigger monitor. 

2.) I have a few assorted categories without products... I'm still populating.

3.) I know some buttons don't match the color scheme yet; again, I'm still working on that.

Anything else you like/don't like would be great to know!

Thanks in advance!

My Site (www.tankguys.com)

Not bad...It's pretty stock looking but so is mine. The "stock" layout works pretty good for me!

Couple of constructive comments:

1. You might add some additional contact info to your contact_us page (ie, telephone, address, etc.) This probably does offer some buyers a more warm and fuzzy about being able to contact you directly should they place an order and have an issue...

2. All of your "This product was added..." on your product_info.php has a blank date. If your like me and used Easypopulate, you have to watch the date format - Excel reformats it and on upload you loose the original dates added. Either remove this from the page (how important is the info?) or go through Easypopulate again and reformat the dates...

3. Some of your product descriptions are inconsistent - header bars change color or don't exist. Maybe not a big deal...

4. I would definitely recommend a SEF URL transformer contrib - go with Ultimate SEO Url's - works great and you'll find LOADS of support...

Keep on and good luck!

Brian Neuman

Not bad...It's pretty stock looking but so is mine.  The "stock" layout works pretty good for me!

Couple of constructive comments:

1.  You might add some additional contact info to your contact_us page (ie, telephone, address, etc.)  This probably does offer some buyers a more warm and fuzzy about being able to contact you directly should they place an order and have an issue...

2.  All of your "This product was added..." on your product_info.php has a blank date.  If your like me and used Easypopulate, you have to watch the date format - Excel reformats it and on upload you loose the original dates added.  Either remove this from the page (how important is the info?) or go through Easypopulate again and reformat the dates...

3.  Some of your product descriptions are inconsistent - header bars change color or don't exist.  Maybe not a big deal...

4.  I would definitely recommend a SEF URL transformer contrib - go with Ultimate SEO Url's - works great and you'll find LOADS of support...

Keep on and good luck!

Thanks!!

Yea, good point on the contact info... I had read that on other comments and meant to do so; had just forgotten.

I also plan on just removing the "product added" thing. It's not important information anyway.

As for the descriptions, yes, that's an on-going project... LOTS of work. We're going to be forced to have some inconsistencies (long story) but I'll try and clear up everything I can.

I'm also planning on doing the SEO contribution... I think that's a good idea. Thanks for the input!

Yea, my site is pretty stock looking, but I like the look a lot. It does everything I wanted... this software is awesome!

"People tell me I have an inferiority complex. They must be right; after all, they are all smarter than me."

I'm still a fledgling at oscommerce editing, so I took a look at your site from a non-pro perspective.

Without spacers or padding of some kind, your text just butts up against the edges - a bit distracting.

The color scheme matches your logo... but I can't figure out what tanks have to do with IT products.

Your header text is a different font than the rest of your policy page. Why is that?

You are using stock images for all of the table_background*.gif's They don't fit with your color scheme.

Just my $0.02

I'm still a fledgling at oscommerce editing, so I took a look at your site from a non-pro perspective. 

Without spacers or padding of some kind, your text just butts up against the edges - a bit distracting. 

The color scheme matches your logo... but I can't figure out what tanks have to do with IT products. 

Your header text is a different font than the rest of your policy page.  Why is that?

You are using stock images for all of the table_background*.gif's  They don't fit with your color scheme.

Just my $0.02

Sweet, thanks for your thoughts.

I didn't think about the spacers thing; I'll have to edit that. Good thinking! Oh, and tanks don't really have anything to do with IT... we picked it because it's memorable, unique, and if we ever decide to sell other products, we can stick with the same 'brand' name we've got. Might not be a good decision, but I think "TankGuys" stands out more than say, "PCpower4U" or something like that.

I'm debating on changing the background gifs, but I like a lot of them and it's low on my priority list. I imagine I'll get to it at some point though.

Thanks again!

My comments are:

I would install a thumbnail contribution so that your small image would be smaller in size ( bytes).

Also if I were you I'd make the regular (big) picture a bit bigger. I was looking at PDAs and all I could see of an Ipaq worth more then $400 was only a 175 X 175 picture... not much indeed to evaluate the item properly

I would also change the font in product_info page just to match the side columns ( the present one looks too big to me )

The product_info page title is still " osCommerce". Use header_tags contribution to customize page title ( a different title for every page/ product )

And more important: The site in general looks the same as hundreds of other shops based on oscommerce ( very boring ). with some time and may be some $$$ you can have a completely different and original website.

Don't get offended, but with all the existing offer for your range of products I'd rather buy from someone with a nicer website, where I could tell some money hase been spent to personalize the look & feel...

Bye

Tomcat

Outside links in signatures are not allowed!

My comments are:

I would install a thumbnail contribution so that your small image would be smaller in size ( bytes).

Also if I were you I'd make the regular (big) picture a bit bigger. I was looking at PDAs and all I could see of an Ipaq worth more then $400 was only a 175 X 175 picture... not much indeed to evaluate the item properly

I would also  change the font in product_info page just to match the side columns ( the present one looks too big to me )

The product_info page title is still " osCommerce". Use header_tags contribution to customize page title ( a different title for every page/ product )

And more important: The site in general looks the same as hundreds of other shops  based on oscommerce ( very boring ). with some time and may be some $$$ you can have a completely different and original website.

Don't get offended, but with all the existing offer for your range of products I'd rather buy from someone with a nicer website, where I could tell some money hase been spent to personalize the look & feel...

Bye

Tomcat

I'm definitely going to try and fix the images issue. I tried an autothumbnailer, and it didn't work at all, so I' have to keep fighting with that. The other images are indeed too small; it's a legacy problem from when I was using Miva Merchant (UGH!).

I'll keep in mind the changing of page titles too, hadn't thought about that!

I'm not offended at all, thanks a lot for your help. I agree; our site looks a little "stock" right now. The problem is, I'm really shooting in the dark here as I have no real PHP or other associate knowlege. I'm doing it all via trial and error (mostly error :D ) and seeing what happens. To be sure, there is a lot that could be done to improve our site, it's just deciding what and HOW! In any case, we've come a looooong way from our Miva days, that's for sure!

....Cow

For thumbnailing have a look at this:

Thumbs with cache

it works perfectly for me and has the advantage to also [optionally] cache the thumbs reducing server load

You know, I've tried ~6 different thumbnail mods today, only 1 of which actually works. All the others either caused my HTML output to go completely haywire, or they just created "broken" links for the pictures. I think there might be some conflict with another contribution, or with some server setting I've got somehow. It's hard to imagine 1/6 success rate is purely user error!

I did get one running (it's on now) it's the "Thumbs9" one. not sure how it stacks up against the others for features, but to me, it has the excellent feature of actually working!

Thanks for the link though, I'll try and give her a shot.

Well, no thumbnail contrib will work right now as my genius hosting company doesn't have the GD library installed, despite the fact that PHP 4.10.3 comes bundled with it?? Weird.

Anyway, any other feedback from anyone?

Well, no thumbnail contrib will work right now as my genius hosting company doesn't have the GD library installed, despite the fact that PHP 4.10.3 comes bundled with it?? Weird.

Anyway, any other feedback from anyone?

Boy, hostings companies can be a real pain in the @$$. For most of our sites we have dedicated servers, which is just wonderful. You can get in and set things up exactly the way you need. However, sometimes I acutally have to deal with those bastards for other sites we manage for certain clients. We have one site that uses an upload component that requires a .dll to be installed(it's an asp site) and the hosting companies are just horrible about doing anything about it. I have burned more hours on trying to get them to register that bleeping .dll than I ever though was imaginable.

Well anyway, not a bad start to your site. I would recommend the ultra images pack. You have to manually create your thumbnails, but you can control every aspect of them plus you can have up to 6 additional images for each product. And no GD lib necessary. I make it part of my base osC install every time I start a new project.

Well good luck with the site, and good luck with the hosting company. If you every make enough get a dedicated server, it will change your life :D

osCommerce is a great piece of software with wonderful contributions.

Spend some time in the contribution area. There are a lot of gems there.

Well anyway, not a bad start to your site.  I would recommend the ultra images pack.  You have to manually create your thumbnails, but you can control every aspect of them plus you can have up to 6 additional images for each product.  And no GD lib necessary.  I make it part of my base osC install every time I start a new project.

I second the recommendation for Ultrapics - works great. Your going to spend some time creating 3 versions of your images though - you've got a TON of products!

Brian Neuman

Boy,  hostings companies can be a real pain in the @$$.  For most of our sites we have dedicated servers, which is just wonderful.  You can get in and set things up exactly the way you need.  However, sometimes I acutally have to deal with those bastards for other sites we manage for certain clients.  We have one site that uses an upload component that requires a .dll to be installed(it's an asp site) and the hosting companies are just horrible about doing anything about it.  I have burned more hours on trying to get them to register that bleeping .dll than I ever though was imaginable.

Well anyway, not a bad start to your site.  I would recommend the ultra images pack.  You have to manually create your thumbnails, but you can control every aspect of them plus you can have up to 6 additional images for each product.  And no GD lib necessary.  I make it part of my base osC install every time I start a new project.

Well good luck with the site, and good luck with the hosting company.  If you every make enough get a dedicated server, it will change your life :D

Thanks for the input!

I actually got a thumbnail program working last night, and there was much rejoicing. :D Turned out my hosting company did indeed have the GD library installed, I just had to enable it in my php.ini file. So that's squared away. Thankfully now, that issue has been resolved.

Dedicated hosting would be great, but we're just getting ready to go live so we're starting low and working up. obviously comptuer parts is a very, very competetive field, so we're going to gauge the response we get and upgrade from there. So we'll see what happens.

The ultra-pics or similar would be great. I like the idea of having muliple pictures, and I'll probobly pursue something along those lines. In the interim, I'm definitely planning on getting bigger pictures for most of my products. Many of the images are only 175x175, so I'd like to increase that.

Anyway, thanks for the input, I'll have to look into the ultrapics thing!

• 2 weeks later...

I've changed a lot on the site, and I'm wondering if you guys could take another look and see what you think now. There are still some latent issues with stock OSC graphics, but I'm working on them. Otherwise, what are you thoughts??

Thanks!

Our Site

Archived