• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

I need your feedback at this early desing stage

Simplyeasier

Hi Forum

As usual when you get too close and work too long on a new project you stop being objective - I ahve reached that point having worked on this all weekend.

I am about to start the core functionality and optimisation changes on this site - but before I do that I would love some comment on the detail and cosmetic appearance.

I know a few buttons are still in need of changing AND the products are clearly not relevant stock osC products. Also the info box is not updated - but what I would love is your views on

1) What would you do different with the appearance of the site

2) What DONT you like about the cosmetics and details

The address is http://www.babyboyandgirl.com/catalog

BTW TOP in the breadcrumb currently goes to an empty page - but that is all in the plan so don't review Top.

Charles

A kite flies highest AGAINST the wind !

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a lover in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ~ WOO HOO!! What a ride!"

If you make the rest of the site as smooth as that header graphic, you'll be looking good. Right now you have a lot of work ahead if you want your site to be less osc.

Make sure you resubmit when you're done.

gl hf

Have you intentionally made the box backgrounds white?

Yes

Your page background is an image, but only part of it can only be seen and then only if you scroll all the way down to the bottom.  Why bother?

hmmm - good point :D

Charles

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a lover in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ~ WOO HOO!! What a ride!"

Nice shop! One of my sisters had a baby girl last tuesday and another sister's about 5 months gone, so I've been looking at a fair few baby shops lately.. Yours stands up to the rest very well.

One little thing which isn't a major "pull it all offline and rebuild" type of dramatic problem:

On the rounded corners: corner_right.gif you've left the outsides white where the background's yellow.. It does stand out a bit.

You did ask. :)

Asides from a total of about seventeen pixels, I think it's a fine shop. Good luck.

Nice shop! One of my sisters had a baby girl last tuesday and another sister's about 5 months gone, so I've been looking at a fair few baby shops lately.. Yours stands up to the rest very well.

One little thing which isn't a major "pull it all offline and rebuild" type of dramatic problem:

On the rounded corners: corner_right.gif you've left the outsides white where the background's yellow.. It does stand out a bit.

You did ask. :)

Asides from a total of about seventeen pixels, I think it's a fine shop. Good luck.

You know what - for pointing that out - your sisters can both have a discount - send them on down LOL -

But seriously there is much left to do - I am working on the behind the scense stuff now - but there is still much that can improve on the visitor interface - so your views and those of other people here are important.

Charles

It's very ugly. As someone else pointed out, the header image is rather nice, the rest of the site doesn't have the same impact.

The blue page b/g is too dark, and everything else is standard osCommerce. You can do better than this - I know that for a fact.

~ Your scrolling specials box is showing broken images.

~ Your product page buttons have a pink b/g, but the infobox b/g is white.

~ Obviously the info pages are not filled out yet - don't forget the contact details (required by law).

~ For some reason the product image shows twice in the product page, but with a different "invis" variable.

It's pretty poor to be honest. Sorry.

Thanks Burt - a few points back at you

It's very ugly. 

As someone else pointed out, the header image is rather nice, the rest of the site doesn't have the same impact.

OK - your view - poster before you liked it B)

...... and everything else is standard osCommerce. 

Standard but not out of the box - How would you change this AND more importantly why given that the aim is to make sales ?

~ Your scrolling specials box is showing broken images.

~ Your product page buttons have a pink b/g, but the infobox b/g is white.

~ Obviously the info pages are not filled out yet - don't forget the contact details (required by law).

Part of Work in Progress

~ For some reason the product image shows twice in the product page, but with a different "invis" variable.

Eventually each product will have multiple images

It's pretty poor to be honest.  Sorry.

Don't be (sorry I mean) just tell me what you would do different AND importantly why - that is how I learn - I may not agree - but if I agree with what you say I will change it and where I can't I will ask for your help - in short I will listen :D

Charles

I'm not best placed to give advice on this particular site as I am not in the target market for the products.

I've created just 1 baby site in the past which I'd be happy to PM you the URL for you to compare my thoughts on such a site to yours.

I can't give in-depth advice as I don't know the market, the best I can do is to say; I would make everything "softer" - from the colours to the layout. More curves, more relaxing, more homely...

Hope that sorta makes sense.

Archived