• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

error: I cannot write to this file.

Texana

:'( Please forgive me, newb with all this. I am working with oscommerce provided by my webhost. It is not on my computer. I would like to make small changes, but cannot figuere out how. I think I am following directions given on front page " go to Tools-file manager-languages-english-define" to change words, but when I get there it gives me an error message. It says "Error- I cannot write to this file. Please set right user permissions on :then it gives the full name of the file I am looking at. It does this for all files. I am unclear how oscomm, sql, and my host files all go together. As I am a WYSIWYG kind of web program user, all this is new and foreign to me. I have tried searching the forum, but did not find any error that matched this one, and when I tried reading some of the answers to others questions, I feel like I am way out of my league. I am hoping that I can learn something here, but may need to hire someone to help me. Your time is appreciated. Thank you!

Rebecca

OScommerce is a cart which requires every files to be edited manually in order to achieve results....

If you choose to use OSCommerce, you journey will be quite time consuming but in exchange you will learn massively from other members of this forum...

It is not the easiest for a newbie, but once your shop is up and running, it gives you an enormous sense of self-achievement.....as you will have built it from scratch.....

Good luck

Using FileZilla, WS_FTP, CuteFTP, or some other FTP client, download the language file that you want to change (i.e. includes/languages/english/index.php). Back up the file before making any changes. Modify the text (put \ characters before any apostophes that you add, so instead of What's New, you would have What\'s New) it with an editor (there are many threads on favorite editors), then upload the changed file.

There are also contributions available that provide WYSIWYG editing for some pages.

-jared

:'(  Please forgive me, newb with all this.  I am working with oscommerce provided by my webhost. It is not on my computer.  I would like to make small changes, but cannot figuere out how.  I think I am following directions given on front page " go to Tools-file manager-languages-english-define" to change words, but when I get there it gives me an error message.  It says "Error- I cannot write to this file.  Please set right user permissions on :then it gives the full name of the file I am looking at.  It does this for all files.  I am unclear how oscomm, sql, and my host files all go together.  As I am a WYSIWYG kind of web program user, all this is new and foreign to me.  I have tried searching the forum, but did not find any error that matched this one, and when I tried reading some of the answers to others questions, I feel like I am way out of my league.  I am hoping that I can learn something here, but may need to hire someone to help me.  Your time is appreciated.  Thank you!

Rebecca

please download all the files from your web server to your local system for editing. use a php editor (freely available by searching the net) and edit the files, then ftp them back to your site.

trying to edit them online is futile, at best.

Archived