• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Please take a look

We are not live yet becuase we have a lot more products to upload but please take a look and tell me if you would be confident buying from my site....

Putabitz.com

Thanks all, and please be truthful....all helpful comments welcome !

Cool catagories box! I found it really hard to read the main text, light gray on the light blue, it was a real strain. Your contact us page needs some information such as your phone number and store address. Customers need that reassurance before they will buy from you. Makes them feel like you really exist. All in all it's cool. Good work and Happy selling!

Moon

"Woohoo, Just Havin Funnn!"

We are not live yet becuase we have a lot more products to upload but please take a look and tell me if you would be confident buying from my site....

Putabitz.com

Thanks all, and please be truthful....all helpful comments welcome !

Hi Carper

Good site - here are a few thoughts

Grey text on white background doesn't really work

Visually green (in your header) and the other colours jar my eyesight

you have gone to a great effort to customise your site - why did you keep the table_background_*.gifs ?

Your currency is just GBP and language is English - it shows when you view your products - remove currency and flag it from the right column - not necessary

You are selling high ticket items - if I was buying (as your question started) I would not buy because I have no way other than e-mail of contacting you - that one fact alone would put me off - what if it goes wrong - will you answer my e-mails - and what if I have too return it to base for service or warranty repairs - where are you ? In conditions of use you say notify you of defects in writing via website - sorry - if you want me to buy this gear make it easy for me to reach you.

Consider reducing the number of stages in your checkout sequence - burt a prominent forum member has a thread going on how to do this or you can put in the PWA contribution

I don't know who your wholesaler is - but they must have more than one image per product - the internet is a visual medium - show me the pictures - there are many multi image contributions that you can use to display the products from various angles, giving your visitors more to go on.

I don't know about you but when I buy electronic gadegtry - i look thro the web where I cannot touch and feel - then I go to my local elecronics outfit where I compare prices and touch the gear as well as find out about warranty - then and only then if the online place matches up do i order online - make it easy for ppl to WANT to come back to your business after that lengthy buying process.

You show prices with and without VAT - why ? if your market is joe blogs - he doesn't care about excl vat prices. if you are selling to "i am vat registered ltd" vat then the opposite is true and incl prices don't matter. Show one or other to reduce clutter depending on your target market.

Finally again coming back to your product set - you do not appear to have SSL encryption - surfers are wising up and this detail will cost you sales if ppl feel their details are at risk as they do business with you.

I like your basic presentation - but as I often say the detail is where it's all at - get it wrong and you will be hit hard every time (the opposite isn't necessarily true - you don't always get credit for putting the detail in )

Charles

A kite flies highest AGAINST the wind !

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a lover in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ~ WOO HOO!! What a ride!"

You know, I certainly don't hate it. But other people were right, It's really hard to read your text, you need to darken it up a few shades.

One thing that bothers me right off the get go, there is way to much copy(text) on the landing page. When I come to a page, I don't want to have to read to get the jist of the site. I just want a visual to see whats going on. I think Joel Spolsky says it best:

# Users don't have the manual, and if they did, they wouldn't read it.

# In fact, users can't read anything, and if they could, they wouldn't want to.

I highly recommend this article to anyone doing anything with software

Joel Spolsky: Designing for People Who Have Better Things To Do With Their Lives

I can't say that I'm a huge fan of your banner, but it's not bad. But why doesn't it take me back to the home page when I click on it?

I know that I say this to everyone, but you really need a thumbnail contrib. I don't know why they designed osC's image handling they way that they did, but it sucks. Luckly, the whole community noticed this, and there are a million contribs out there to fix it.

One of your defines are wrong. If you look at the top above your shopping cart image, you have TEXT_ITEMS, and TEXT_LOGIN. You probably just missed including a language file somewhere.

Good start. I love the left-hand nav, sure makes it easy to browse the products. Thats the selling point for your site right now.

osCommerce is a great piece of software with wonderful contributions.

Spend some time in the contribution area. There are a lot of gems there.

Cool catagories box! I found it really hard to read the main text, light gray on the light blue, it was a real strain. Your contact us page needs some information such as your phone number and store address. Customers need that reassurance before they will buy from you. Makes them feel like you really exist. All in all it's cool. Good work and Happy selling!

Moon

Okay, will add Phone Number & Address...Simply overlooked this very important aspect...Thanks

The Text is Light Grey on a White background.....Not Blue ????

Hi Carper

Good site - here are a few thoughts

Grey text on white background doesn't really work

Visually green (in your header) and the other colours jar my eyesight

you have gone to a great effort to customise your site - why did you keep the table_background_*.gifs ?

Your currency is just GBP and language is English  - it shows when you view your products - remove currency and flag it from the right column - not necessary

You are selling high ticket items - if I was buying (as your question started) I would not buy because I have no way other than e-mail of contacting you - that one fact alone would put me off - what if it goes wrong - will you answer my e-mails - and what if I have too return it to base for service or warranty repairs - where are you ? In conditions of use you say notify you of defects in writing via website - sorry - if you want me to buy this gear make it easy for me to reach you.

Consider reducing the number of stages in your checkout sequence - burt a prominent forum member has a thread going on how to do this or you can put in the PWA contribution

I don't know who your wholesaler is - but they must have more than one image per product - the internet is a visual medium - show me the pictures - there are many multi image contributions that you can use to display the products from various angles, giving your visitors more to go on.

I don't know about you but when I buy electronic gadegtry - i look thro the web where I cannot touch and feel - then I go to my local elecronics outfit where I compare prices and touch the gear as well as find out about warranty - then and only then if the online place matches up do i order online - make it easy for ppl to WANT to come back to your business after that lengthy buying process.

You show prices with and without VAT - why ? if your market is joe blogs - he doesn't care about excl vat prices. if you are selling to "i am vat registered ltd" vat then the opposite is true and incl prices don't matter. Show one or other to reduce clutter depending on your target market.

Finally again coming back to your product set - you do not appear to have SSL encryption - surfers are wising up and this detail will cost you sales if ppl feel their details are at risk as they do business with you.

I like your basic presentation - but as I often say the detail is where it's all at - get it wrong and you will be hit hard every time (the opposite isn't necessarily true - you don't always get credit for putting the detail in )

Charles

Okay....The green images are there to stay....They are made up of page HTML and images and it would be a nightmare to change.....

I will add Phone Number and Address.....

I tried adding PWA contribution but it did not work as I already have a redirect.php in my catalog directory..........unless you could help ?

I did not use SSL as Paypal uses SSL and being as I am not taking CC onsite....I assumed that this would be considered safe enough....other than the address of the customer being open to all.....would appreciate your thoughts and experiences on this...

VAT Incl and Excl was used as shops in UK have to show both prices to the consumer so that he/she is under no illusion as to the final price...

Images - Point Taken !

Thanks....

You know, I certainly don't hate it.  But other people were right, It's really hard to read your text, you need to darken it up a few shades. 

One thing that bothers me right off the get go,  there is way to much copy(text) on the landing page.  When I come to a page, I don't want to have to read to get the jist of the site.  I just want a visual to see whats going on.  I think Joel Spolsky says it best:

I highly recommend this article to anyone doing anything with software

Joel Spolsky: Designing for People Who Have Better Things To Do With Their Lives

I can't say that I'm a huge fan of your banner, but it's not bad.  But why doesn't it take me back to the home page when I click on it?

I know that I say this to everyone, but you really need a thumbnail contrib.  I don't know why they designed osC's image handling they way that they did, but it sucks.  Luckly, the whole community noticed this, and there are a million contribs out there to fix it.

One of your defines are wrong.  If you look at the top above your shopping cart image, you have TEXT_ITEMS, and TEXT_LOGIN.  You probably just missed including a language file somewhere.

Good start.  I love the left-hand nav,  sure makes it easy to browse the products.  Thats the selling point for your site right now.

Okay...Banner will be changed

Also, the length of the text will be changed....thanks and point taken, I was a bit concerned about this myself...

Thumbnail contributions......What will my images look like after installing this contribution....can you show me a demo site.....

Thanks for all you help guys.....and I am welcoming more comments...:D

Glutton for punishment !

I don't know, maybe I'm weird, but the grey text on white background is kind of hard to read. I like the look of it; it works well with the color scheme of the site. It is, however, hard to read, and I'd get annoyed pretty quick and move on to anoter site.

Other than that, I like the layout, it's pretty slick.

"People tell me I have an inferiority complex. They must be right; after all, they are all smarter than me."

What colour do you think would look best on white background ??? Black ???

Also, am redesigning the banner....What colour scheme would look best....I was thinking Green and Orange to suit the layout of the site....

Thoughts please...

The Text is Light Grey on a White background.....Not Blue ????

Its actually gray on mine!

It depends on the colour scheme you have set windows up to be, and thats because you haven't expicitly set it white...

Have now changed top banner colour and a few other things including installation of much needed thumbnail contribution !

Please take a look......and comment, come on guys, I need feedback !!!! lol

Have now changed top banner colour and a few other things including installation of much needed thumbnail contribution !

Please take a look......and comment, come on guys, I need feedback !!!! lol

Still looks light gray on gray on my monitor...

The top banner and the categories have white backgrounds - everything else is gray. If you dont set the background to explicitly be the colour you want, it wont be.

Ok,

1. You are missing a spacer image on the bottom left side.

2. Your header is allrigth except for the name and slogan. The heavy black outlines take away from the overall design. Consider just using one color or using a light shadow instead of the outline. You can also go with a different color for the site name, maybe a blue or another color that goes well with green.

http://www.colorschemer.com/online.html - this site is great for getting nice color combinations and schemes.

You could incorporate your UK flag a little better then that.

3. Your Header Buttons are way too spaced out (Home, My Account, etc.) Either space them out evenly, add other links (shipping, about us, faq, etc.) or move them to the right or left.

4. Your sub category images are very pixelated, either get rid of them completely (take the code out that places an image there) or use a transparent gif.

5. For a thumbnailer I used a really good contribution, you can see what they look like HERE. Get the contribution HERE It even places a watermark if you want it too.

That's about it.

Samuel Mateo, Jr.

osC 2.2 MS2

Installed Mods:

WYSIWYG HTMLArea 1.7 | Basic Template System 1.0 | osC-Affiliate | OSC-SupportTicket

Featured Products 1.3 | LoginBox 5.2 | LatestNews 1.1.3 | Extras for IE

set your sub-category images to the same size as the ones in your left hand categories navigation. They're well done and it would remove the horrible pixellated look on your categories page. Instant benefit!!

Excellent....it worked and is now looking a lot better !

Thanks a lot for your helpful advice :D

Archived