• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

New site for critiscism

Hi all,

I would be very grateful if you would take a look at my site and give me open, honest critiscism. This is my first project using oscommerce, and prior to this i was in the nursing profession and had very little internet experience never mind php!

www.gorgeous-lingerie.biz

Please feel free to have a look and let me know any comments. It os pretty much stock oscommerce but i must admit...i kinda like it that way.

Shop is Live so no test orders please.

Thanks for your valuable time,

Cheryl

It's a bit dark.

The design is nice and the layout, just the colour is a little dark, and some of the pictures are a little dark too.

The buy now buttons still have the white corners, so they look a little out of place.

I like the logo, and the box shadowing seems to work quite well.

I personally would edit the stylesheet a little so that the 'Guest!', in Welcome Guest!, is the same size as thew welcome....Kinda looks like it has had a previous visit in between the woman's thighs and got squashed! :)

In privacy notice, Cookies heading is in bold, while all the others aren't....IS there a reason for this?

Typo in about us page....Should be a space after Hollywood....Also the title isn't defined.

Should be nice when finished though.

Steve

It's a bit dark.

The design is nice and the layout, just the colour is a little dark, and some of the pictures are a little dark too.

The buy now buttons still have the white corners, so they look a little out of place.

I like the logo, and the box shadowing seems to work quite well.

I personally would edit the stylesheet a little so that the 'Guest!', in Welcome Guest!, is the same size as thew welcome....Kinda looks like it has had a previous visit in between the woman's thighs and got squashed! :)

In privacy notice, Cookies heading is in bold, while all the others aren't....IS there a reason for this?

Typo in about us page....Should be a space after Hollywood....Also the title isn't defined.

Should be nice when finished though.

Steve

Thanks for taking the time to look at my site Steve. I appreciate the comments and suggestions. Lol at the description of the word Guest!!!

Cheryl

off the top of my head, I'd say your first priority is to fix some of your images.

For example, you use the stock buttons. This isn't bad by itself, but since they have the white corners, they look really odd contrasted with your pinkish background.

I would also center the "UK Lingerie directory" graphic in your footer.

Those are the biggies I noticed!

"People tell me I have an inferiority complex. They must be right; after all, they are all smarter than me."

I think that your product images need some help. When browsing a site like yours, the selling point is going to be pictures and not text. Right now, your forcing the user to download the whole image, then your are resizing it. This is the default behavior of osC, but there are two major things wrong with this method. First, it requries the user to download way more then is necessary to view the thumbnail. Second, it makes the image look distored, which in my opinion, looks cheap. I would recommend installing one of the thumb contribs, or I really like the Ultimate Images Pack which allows you to have 6 additional images for each product, and 3 sizes for the regular images.

I'm not really a fan of the DHTML menus. Yours are too small, and when I'm trying to navigate them with my touchpad, I keep falling off. You should at least add a longer timeout before they disappear.

You really need to make some new buttons. The stock osC buttons just don't work with your site. If you can't do buttons like me(I'm a terrible designer) there's a pretty neat site out there that will create the buttons for you. It's at least fun to play with and get some ideas oscommerce-buttons.org

I like your "lip" background. I think that the background color of your info boxes is a little dark against the black text. Maybe lighten it up a bit, or make the text white or something.

I would get rid of all the silly little osC icons everywhere. They don't really add anything to the site, and make it look cheap. You can probably ditch the notifications, tell a friend, and reviews boxes. They aren't really necessary.

When you first add an item to your cart, the text of that item is red. You can't see it at all against the background. That definitly needs to be changed. Your signin page looks smashed. You may want to think about using the checkout with out creating account contrib. It works the same for you, but it will stop customers from getting scared off due to having to signup.

Well thats it for now. It's not a bad start, but still needs quite a bit of work. You have chosen a very competitive business. I see more lingerie sites made with osC than anything else. To stand out about the rest, your really going to need to be top notch. You'll benifit 200% from a thumbnail contrib.

Keep it up! :thumbsup:

osCommerce is a great piece of software with wonderful contributions.

Spend some time in the contribution area. There are a lot of gems there.

I think that your product images need some help.  When browsing a site like yours, the selling point is going to be pictures and not text.  Right now, your forcing the user to download the whole image, then your are resizing it.  This is the default behavior of osC, but there are two major things wrong with this method.  First, it requries the user to download way more then is necessary to view the thumbnail.  Second, it makes the image look distored, which in my opinion, looks cheap.  I would recommend installing one of the thumb contribs, or I really like the Ultimate Images Pack which allows you to have 6 additional images for each product, and 3 sizes for the regular images.

I'm not really a fan of the DHTML menus.  Yours are too small, and when I'm trying to navigate them with my touchpad, I keep falling off.  You should at least add a longer timeout before they disappear.

You really need to make some new buttons.  The stock osC buttons just don't work with your site.  If you can't do buttons like me(I'm a terrible designer) there's a pretty neat site out there that will create the buttons for you.  It's at least fun to play with and get some ideas oscommerce-buttons.org

I like your "lip" background.  I think that the background color of your info boxes is a little dark against the black text.  Maybe lighten it up a bit, or make the text white or something.

I would get rid of all the silly little osC icons everywhere.  They don't really add anything to the site, and make it look cheap.  You can probably ditch the notifications, tell a friend, and reviews boxes.  They aren't really necessary.

When you first add an item to your cart, the text of that item is red.  You can't see it at all against the background.  That definitly needs to be changed.  Your signin page looks smashed.  You may want to think about using the checkout with out creating account contrib.  It works the same for you, but it will stop customers from getting scared off due to having to signup.

Well thats it for now.  It's not a bad start, but still needs quite a bit of work.  You have chosen a very competitive business.  I see more lingerie sites made with osC than anything else.  To stand out about the rest, your really going to need to be top notch.  You'll benifit 200% from a thumbnail contrib.

Keep it up! :thumbsup:

Thanks to everyone for very good advice and suggestions.

Will have a look at contributions and changes suggested. You have all been very helpful.

Cheryl

Archived