• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Random Catagory

Wendy James

Not sure if this is the right place for this post or not but I was wondering if anyone has set up a random catagory image with link on their site? And if they did would they mind sharing how? =)

Thanks!

Wendy James

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

I found "show catagories on index" and the random product contributions and I am trying to compair the two to make a random catagory... not much luck so far but if I get it to work I will post it here.

Still hoping someone with more knowledge than me may have the answer though.

=)

Wendy James

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

I know I ask more complex questions than "how do i change this text"... but no one has any suggestions or ideas on how this can be done?

Wendy James

It's one of those things that would take longer to explain how to do in detail than it would to just do it.

An outline might go as follows:

1) Add relevant column to categories table holding path of image for example.

2) retrieve relevant data in a query wherever you want to display links (image, category name etc)

3) Code html (or build dynamically with php) to show images with category names - the linking code can be lifted from existing menu probably.

Code admin interface if required (not really needed for something this simple)

I really appreciate your responce but unfortunetly that doesn't help me much. lol

I just want something simple, like the random product contribution.. well it looked simple until I tried to alter it to work for catagories. Guess it is time to stop trying to mess with something until I either make it work or I pull my hair out, and actually go try and learn some things. =)

Oh well thanks for replying!

Wendy James

I really appreciate your responce but unfortunetly that doesn't help me much. lol

I just want something simple, like the random product contribution.. well it looked simple until I tried to alter it to work for catagories. Guess it is time to stop trying to mess with something until I either make it work or I pull my hair out, and actually go try and learn some things. =)

Wendy James

Wendy James

Wendy James

Holy cow.... sorry about the multiposts, osc hiccupped while submitting the post. wow. lol

Wendy James

Archived