• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Changing the index page

greggmanning

Can anyone help, when changing the text on the front index page I started to replace the first part of the text with my own and when I saved it I was faced with this error message. I did not remove any characters nor did I type outside of the allowed area. I had in fact only typed in about 5 words when I first tested it.

Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_STRING in /home/scstamps/public_html/store/includes/languages/english/index.php on line 13

Please help if you can but I am new to this so if you have a solution please keep it simple.

Regards

Gregg

Can anyone help, when changing the text on the front index page I started to replace the first part of the text with my own and when I saved it I was faced with this error message.  I did not remove any characters nor did I type outside of the allowed area.  I had in fact only typed in about 5 words when I first tested it.

Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_STRING in /home/scstamps/public_html/store/includes/languages/english/index.php on line 13

Please help if you can but I am new to this so if you have a solution please keep it simple.

Regards

Gregg

If yoiu want to change the font on the page do that through the stylesheet but if you want to change the actual tex you will need to do that from the admin control panel. Hope that Info helps.

Ignore that last post, except for the bit about the stylesheet.

To change the text on your homepage you need to download includes/languages/english/index.php to your own computer via FTP, edit it in a plain text editor like Notepad (not Word or Wordpad). You do NOT use the osCommerce File Manager to edit files. Using it causes parse errors - as you have found out.

Best suggestion, download a clean copy of the osCommerce MS2.2 zip file from www.oscommerce.com and unzip on your computer. Locate the file you want to edit, which will be in the 'catalog' folder. Take a backup (so you have an unedited copy) then edit the original.

Whenever you use text in a page all apostrophies have to be 'escaped' by a preceeding backslash e.g.

Let's = wrong

Let\'s = right

Upload the changed file, and if there's anything wrong you can restore from the backup you took.

Vger

Archived