• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Pre order and stock question

shaunklink

A question came up by my client who I am setting up osCommerce for.

The client wants to set up the ability to pre-order his product. I know you can just put a future date for availability and let the customer order, but we would like it to just authorize the CC and await the date of availability for actual charge. Can osCommerce do this?

Also, what if my client only has 500 available on one date for pre-order, and then will have say 2000 available a couple months after. Can it be set so that after the initial 500 (release date example: 5/1/05) orders, any orders after that will automatically be set to the further away release date (release date example: 7/1/05). This way the users know when the product they order will actually be shipped to them.

Thanks all

I can't answer the bigger questions but i can tell you that the cc companies don't like you to run out a long time between authorize and capture.

Whether or not you can preauth or just capture funds immediately depends on your payment gateway and the functionality of the osCommerce payment module that interfaces with them.

The last time I used authorize.net, for example, you could configure the payment module to preauth the sale, but the preauth transaction was only good for 14 days or something like that.

YMMV

-jared

Archived