• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Installation / Configuration Assistance

I've recently downloaded osCommerce to give it a try. However, I'm very new to online stores and carts, but I am somewhat fimilliar with C and PHP. I have a few questions for you all. I'm planning on setting up a basic store to sell a few items, nothing major. Not a lot of traffic at all. Anyway, what I want to do is to sell a few products and allow people to pay through paypal. I'm not interested in a merchant account at this time since I'm just starting out. I've read over at paypal that they have a basket/cart that will interact with online stores and such, but looks kinda involved. I've also read that there is a module built just for paypal here on the osCommerce site.

Anyway, what I'm looking for is somewhat a "roadmap" if you will on setup and configuration using paypal. Another question is, do I have to obtain SSL myself, or can I utalize the SSL that paypal already has? If someone could shed some light on this matter, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks and look forward to hearing from you.

J.

Hi

osc does come with a paypal module for accepting payment via paypal. All you have to do is install it from your admin. Before you do that, i recommend you take a look at the paypal ipn contribution, and consider installing it.

When you use a 3rd party payment processor like paypal, your customers get directed to the paypal server to complete payment. If they don't come back, osc will have no record of the transaction. Paypal has an auto return function you can use, but it is not fool proof.

As for ssl. As the payments are being handled by a 3rd party, you can manage without a ssl cert. But consider getting 1 anyway, as your server will be storing customer contact details. Some people will be put off giving you their contact details if you don't have ssl.

Paul

Regards

Paul

Archived