• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

New to osCommerce - A little Help

Hi All,

I'm very impressed to see a lively community here. Since I'm new to osCommerce, I was hoping I could ask for some guidance from the experienced folks here in the forums.

Having installed the osCommerce basic system, I'm looking for a suggestion about what contributions I should plan on adding to the basic system to create a fairly full-featured UK based webshop. (To be honest, I'm trying to cut down on the "learning curve" time in order to get a shop on-line fairly quickly...more additions can always come later.)

Currently, I'm thinking that I'd need to add, at a minimum, the following:

1. Payment module (HSBC exists, so that's covered)

2. Shipping module (one of the Royal Mail contributions, any suggestions?)

3. QBI to use with my Quickbooks.

Plus probably the following, from a look'n'feel perspective:

4. Best Sellers (maybe not initially)

5. Latest News

6. Special offers

7. Cards accepted info box

8. Google addsense info box

How am I doing so far? What about additional reports or admin features?

Does anyone have a suggestion from their experience? Or, if this has already been discussed, someone can help me find that discussion.

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers,

Len

there is a contribution with contents specific to UK shops, you might want to check that out.

All other contributions / functionality depends really on what you are going to be sellling, and how much of a custom look you are after.

If you plan to go live fast, you also need to plan for a test system so you can experiment with contributions and not trash your main site.

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

Exellent thread! Thanks for this one - it gives a good feel for what is out there and how to do quite a bit as a newbie.

Also..thanks for reminding me to install a 'development system'. I usually do, but in my haste, I forgot to plan for this. (It never hurts to remind us on this one, does it?)

Thanks again,

Len

Archived